• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

114060 fantasy project. Can you help me?

rupert37

Known Member
29/10/12
Hi guys, I have kind of a weird project that I wish to share with you. Any idea on how to realize it is more than welcome!
I have a 114060 noob v1 that I'm not wearing anymore since I bought a great BPSD.
Yesterday I was looking at some amazing vintage milsubs and I told myself: wouldn’t it be nice to “vintagize†a modern ceramic Rolex?
So I started to think what to do, I bought a NATO strap and I came up with a "to do list":
- Turn the dial from glossy to matte;
- Give a creamy/yellow tint to the indexes (baking them in the oven??);

And here come the worst part: the insert.
As you all know, the insert of the noob v1 is crap. The pearl in particular couldn’t be worse. The engravings are also quite shallow and they give a "cheap" look to the watch, that in general is not bad at all.
The best solution would be to find an aluminum insert, but from what I read, it won’t fit on the bezel.
So the million dollar question is: is there any aftermarket aluminum insert that might fit?
Otherwise, any other idea to “vintagize†the insert?
Here are some pics for reference.

Thanks guys, share your suggestions/tips/ideas!
Cheers.
r.

demolitionman

7/2/14
One of the first DSSD reps had a aluminum bezel, I'm unsure of the bezel size, (see my avatar, its one of the sterile ones, purchased m2m on WUS years ago).
You may want to check ebay for inserts that have inside and outside measurements that match your Sub, important that it's exact for proper fit.
I don't have calipers but will get back to you with approx. measurement when I get the chance.
Interesting custom build you're going for.

rupert37

Known Member
29/10/12
Thanks demolitionman, good to know there were aluminum inserts on the first dssd reps. Hope the same for the submariners.
For the moment I didn't find anything interesting on the bay, I found mostly Parnis or gen inserts.
Looking forward for more information.
Thanks.
r.

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
I'd remove the pearl and CG's and build this:

hj8H7JH.jpg

rupert37

Known Member
29/10/12
@DVNE It's beautiful, but since there's no good ceramic insert out there, I prefer the aluminum. Of course if I can find one that fits...
Otherwise I will ask to the TDs if they can source me one of the latest inserts from a noob v3.
@demolitionman, I removed the insert. Here are the measures of the noob v1 ceramic insert.
- The outer diameter is 38mm;
- The inner diameter is a tiny bit less than 31mm;
- Thinkness is 1mm
And here's a pic of the watch without insert. Now that the project has started, I can't go back :matty: