• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

No asian love for Zenith = (almost) no high-end reps?

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I was thinking about getting a Zenith rep...

Only to find out a (still flawed?) V2 of the DC Skeleton from L-factory on a rubber strap is the only model that can be sourced new... plus perhaps an occasional, 10-year-old left over stock of another Zenith model that a TD may have forgotten about in a drawer somewhere?

So what I take from this is that Zenith is yet another great brand, like Grand Seiko, that gets practically zero interest from the rich and famous in HK, SGP or Shanghai — thus (almost) no decent reps exist? Sad. 😔

geestyleed

Known Member
7/6/15
I am also surprised that there is not more love for Zenith. In my opinion, they have some great watches which are worth (high-end) repping (Chronomaster Sport, Defy (Skyline) etc. In comparison to the other big brands, Zenith is not well known and will probably not sell well.
Perhaps time will change...

Reactions: eBoy

vicad

Renowned Member
14/6/15
Zenith is a great brand. The latest collections as the defy skyline and revivals of old models are incredible and, honestly, I believe that it makes zenith the current most innovative brand on the market.

Reactions: eBoy

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
@geestyleed @vicad
I think what it really comes down to is that, like I already implied in my OP, for the rep factories the feedback a watch brand gets in Asia is a relevant factor in the decision which gens to replicate. To a much lesser degree is the popularity in North/South America and Europe, where Zenith is held in higher regard, I think.

Look at the, for Western tastes, rather unusal front designs BMW is giving its latest models. Those are also dictated by the markets in cities like Shanghai, not NY or Paris.

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
I think the true issue is that Zenith uses some very unique movements. Look at the Skyline, Chronomaster Sport, etc. The dial layouts are not those of standard movements and the functions are even farther off. There's no way to properly rep a Zenith without repping a very complex movement. In order to justify that kind of work the demand has to be there (e.g. Daytona, Submariner, etc). It's the same reason why there's no good Speedy Pro rep

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
The Pilots are extremely good reps

20171009_082134_zpsw79ztump.jpg

20151020_093237_zpsrokcoktt.jpg

20160613_181941_zpsisdxpefq.jpg

Gen vs Rep
IMG-20151020-WA0007_zpsfodmassm.jpg

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Indeed, although very large. I have a type 10 40mm, and would have loved the chrono, but 45mm... :oops:

Badapple

Known Member
29/5/19
UK
Just picked this XF 2824 powered 45mm Type 20 Pilot Bronzo from SEAD - getting delivered this week. Had one before and these are just awesome bombproof and the lume is to die for.

32zdNv.jpg

Reactions: kidcreole and eBoy

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Nice... But 45mm, practically bezel-less... Probably wears like 48mm. At least it would on my baby wrists. 😂

clk168

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/11/21
I agree with the logic of the OP. Zenith isn't big in Asia. I sure wish they'd do a Chronomaster Sport. There's a new Zenith Defy V2 by LF but I'm not qualified to say if it's a good rep or not.

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
I agree with the logic of the OP. Zenith isn't big in Asia. I sure wish they'd do a Chronomaster Sport. There's a new Zenith Defy V2 by LF but I'm not qualified to say if it's a good rep or not.
I almost got the white but the strap looks so shoddy they’ve likely cut corners elsewhere too.

• Sad
Reactions: clk168

clk168

20/11/21
I almost got the white but the strap looks so shoddy they’ve likely cut corners elsewhere too.
Glad you dodged that bullet, friend.

Reactions: kidcreole

phelan771

1/2/14
I'm actually on the hunt for a replica of the Zenith Captain Winsor annual calendar but no hits so far.

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
I think it's related to the general Asian taste, i mean...it's more profitable to make AP, PP, or even full ICed Piagets or Franck Miller (both brands are high regarded in Asia, i looked at some Chinese only websites, it's stunning the amount of Piaget you will find !!!) than a Zenith, which basically is a brand for coinneusseurs.

I mean, the Defy Skyline, and others ,does NOT appeal to a wide range of people, and as @eBoy correctly wrote, Zenith is more of an European thing.

Anyway, this is an Asian El Primero :DDDDD