• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New to replicas, starting 5513 submariner build

CordellD

Looking Around
20/7/22
Hello,

I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some info regarding parts sourcing for a 5513 submariner build.

I am familiar with modding and have done several seiko builds, this is my first time working with reps. I am starting with a 5513 clone from trustytime and would like to do a budget friendly build with it.

What I had in mind was to swap the dg movement for a miyota, fit it with a higher quality dial and handset that I can lightly patina myself, and replace the crystal and bezel insert with higher quality parts if I can find them at reasonable cost.

I think this is a good start and if anyone has any suggestions or sources for the parts I’ve mentioned please let me know. The dial and hands are the most important and I’m willing to pay a little more for them.

many thanks!!

Reactions: Dub

68Olds

9/7/10
US
Wish I knew. I would like to start modding a few of my reps too. Replying to subscribe so I can see what others have to say.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
For a cartel base build, I'd recommend mochacha.org for the dial and hands. They're really good quality without breaking the bank. Something like this: https://www.mochacha.org/shop-1/vin...0m-matte-black-serif-refinished-dial-hand-set

The dial/hands fit an ETA clone - 2834 or 2836. Cartel dial size is 26mm, so the dial drops right in. You'll need an ETA movement spacer ring for the case, which you can get from Rafflesdials. https://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-29-...-inside-the-40mm-rolex-submariner-watch-case/

Replacement plexi can be got from Cousins/Ofrei depending on your location. I like the Sternkreuz line.

Those are just my occasional amateur modding thoughts. There are a ton of build threads, and a ton of options. Do some research, and you'll find a lot of informed and knowledgeable information. I leave behind me a trail of small fortunes spent on modding projects that go nowhere or end in disaster, so please feel free to take no notice of me. But what I find normally happens is I post some advice, and that prompts someone who actually knows what they're talking about to dive in with, "Oh my god, take no notice of him! What you need to do is..."

So hopefully this'll help with that.

jacquy

26/9/18
Thank you p0pperini, this is always very valuable information.

CordellD

Looking Around
20/7/22
Thanks for the input everyone, I’ll post updates as I go on this one!

I’ve been looking at yuki dials, anyone have pics of a build with a yuki 5513 dial? They look decent quality, and I think I’m going to go with a genuine eta movement so they’ll have dials with the correct feet.

oldtools

Renowned Member
14/6/11
Thanks for the input everyone, I’ll post updates as I go on this one!

I’ve been looking at yuki dials, anyone have pics of a build with a yuki 5513 dial? They look decent quality, and I think I’m going to go with a genuine eta movement so they’ll have dials with the correct feet.

When I go to Yuki's site, I don't see any parts listed. What web address are you going to?

CordellD

Looking Around
20/7/22
Well I’ve got a genuine eta 2836 and a dial and handset from Helenarou on the way! Pics to come soon

Dub

Horology Curious
14/11/17
This should be interesting! I'm looking forward to see how your project turns out. I'm thinking about doing something similar.