• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New QF 116519LN (real?) meteorite dial Daytona

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Just saw the Andrew added a new Daytona from QF to his website:

zKdlrv.jpg

zKdpE1.jpg

Dial surface looks rough enough to be real meteorite. Jagged edges around subdial holes add credibility.

Factory did a poor job centering the dial in the rehaut opening on this sample. Compare the tics at 60 to those at 30 - 35.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommygunzzzz

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Factory did a poor job centering the dial in the rehaut opening on this sample. Compare the tics at 60 to those at 30 - 35.

I’m not sure I’m seeing what you’re describing. is this visible in the two pics you included in your quote post? The darker black dial tick mark at 12 o’clock (60 minutes) is a little misaligned against the rehaut crown; but I can’t see the alignment of the dark ticks at 30 and 35 against the rehaut in the quoted pic… or in any of the pics on trusty’s site. But I’m also on mobile and Andrew’s site sucks for trying to zoom in on pics on mobile.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I’m not sure I’m seeing what you’re describing. is this visible in the two pics you included in your quote post? The darker black dial tick mark at 12 o’clock (60 minutes) is a little misaligned against the rehaut crown; but I can’t see the alignment of the dark ticks at 30 and 35 against the rehaut in the quoted pic… or in any of the pics on trusty’s site. But I’m also on mobile and Andrew’s site sucks for trying to zoom in on pics on mobile.

These two screenshots are from the same pic at the same scale - you can see the minute tics are the same size. Note how thin a red mark fits in the space between the tics and the rehaut at 60 vs the thick red mark needed to fill the gap at 35.

It should always be a goal of placing a movement/dial into a case to make the dial as perfectly centered in the rehaut opening as possible. Something off as much as this dial is one of those things you cannot unsee once you know about it. I saw it immediately from the third pic you posted. The dial is pushed up too far toward 60.

zKdX4I.jpg

Last edited:

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
As cool as meteorite is it won't matter much of the build quality is anything less than top tier. Are they VSF/BTF level?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
These two screenshots are from the same pic at the same scale - you can see the minute tics are the same size. Note how thin a red mark fits in the space between the tics and the rehaut at 60 vs the thick red mark needed to fill the gap at 35.

It should always be a goal of placing a movement/dial into a case to make the dial as perfectly centered in the rehaut opening as possible. Something off as much as this dial is one of those things you cannot unsee once you know about it. I saw it immediately from the third pic you posted. The dial is pushed up too far toward 60.

OMVG… I cannot unsee this!!!! thanks (I think ????)…

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
As cool as meteorite is it won't matter much of the build quality is anything less than top tier. Are they VSF/BTF level?

Agreed. There’s the dial centering issue the was pointed out above… but others details appear to be on point so far — correct crown dot pattern; correct gold stamp markings under the case; correct engraving inside the caseback; correct engraving on the clasp. Those are all details that are routinely messed up on GMTs and Daytonas. So I’m cautiously optimistic.

Depends on the price of course. Anyone wanna take a guess on the price? Price-Is-Right rules (closest without going over).

My bid: $1450

Reactions: Duckber

CsViking

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
28/11/21
It’s true this dial is off centered but for real I never seen a meteorite with that colour all replica meteorite fails to get that white colour look.. they look silver and the real meteorite has large range of colours … so I think this is the best meteorite dial replica .. it’s off ? Yes but they get the dial background closer and that’s mean it’s a game of time until we have a really good meteorite … before 2 days I was sure we never get a decent meteorite dial on replicas but that’s proves we have a chance

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Noob's Roman numeral meteorite dials are pretty nice. They came out shortly before the big raid so there aren't all that many of them around. It is true meteorite slices can vary greatly in shades of light and dark within the same dial but I actually prefer a more uniform coloration throughout. Widely divergent dark blotches or stripes catch my eye in an unappealing way. These Noobs were the same price point as the others at the time, ~$788.

16306012104940.jpg

16292180754300.jpg

16291623869050.jpg

Some patterns just wouldn't work for me.

Last edited:

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Wow... This is hands down the best aftermarket daytona meteorite dial i have seen
Amazing printing and red lettering also

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19

Looks like a Zircaloy windstatten pattern so I'm going to say no it's not meteorite.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Noob's Roman numeral meteorite dials are pretty nice. They came out shortly before the big raid so there aren't all that many of them around. It is true meteorite slices can vary greatly in shades of light and dark within the same dial but I actually prefer a more uniform coloration throughout. Widely divergent dark blotches or stripes catch my eye in an unappealing way. These Noobs were the same price point as the others at the time, ~$788.

16291623869050.jpg

Some patterns just wouldn't work for me.

Noob got the pattern right with the right model too.
There are some aftermarket dials made for Daytona that look like a GMT version.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Looks like a Zircaloy windstatten pattern so I'm going to say no it's not meteorite.

The crystal pattern of Zircaloy is on the scale of 3-5μm… the image you posted of the zircaloy widmanstätten pattern was taken with an electron microscope.

the pattern seen in iron nickel meteorites only forms when the meteorite cools from 700C to 400C over the course of a few million years. The vacuum of space is a great insulator which is why (with one exception in an iron source in Greenland) this pattern is not observed in terrestrial iron deposits. Stuff on earth simply cools too quickly for big crystals (read: big enough to see without magnification) to form.

Last edited:

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
The crystal pattern of Zircaloy is on the scale of 3-5μm… the image you posted of the zircaloy widmanstätten pattern was taken with an electron microscope.

the pattern seen in iron nickel meteorites only forms when the meteorite cools from 700C to 400C over the course of a few million years. The vacuum of space is a great insulator which is why (with one exception in an iron source in Greenland) this pattern is not observed in terrestrial iron deposits. Stuff on earth simply cools too quickly for big crystals (read: big enough to see without magnification) to form.

The pattern can still be displayed though even without a high lens magnification. It's just not close to a meteorite pattern. They mimic the process with a vacuum chamber and quenching with water.
There is no brilliance in the dial or inclusions that's what is leading me to think this is not a meteorite or just a poorly etched/polished. I guess we will see with QC or new pics.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
The pattern can still be displayed though even without a high lens magnification. It's just not close to a meteorite pattern. They mimic the process with a vacuum chamber and quenching with water.
There is no brilliance in the dial or inclusions that's what is leading me to think this is not a meteorite or just a poorly etched/polished. I guess we will see with QC or new pics.

very cool. Today I learned.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
very cool. Today I learned.

There was another way jewelers were scamming people with fake meteorite rings and pendants. It was like a thin inlay of tin foil like film that you could pull out if you split the piece in half.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
UPDATE: strangely, this rep is no longer listed on Trusty Time... But the other QF daytona still is listed. Maybe Andrew made a mistake and the meteorite dial wasn't actually a serial production model.

Hublot1704

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/17
UPDATE: strangely, this rep is no longer listed on Trusty Time... But the other QF daytona still is listed. Maybe Andrew made a mistake and the meteorite dial wasn't actually a serial production model.

Yeah saw that too, but now it is back up again :)