• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New QF 116519LN (real?) meteorite dial Daytona

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
The pattern is much more pronounced but it does worry me that the shades of the pattern dont vary by angle if you get what i mean. On proper meteorite dials, from certain angles the grey bits look white and vice versa. Its a good attempt but im not sure its $1000 good.

I agree, I am pretty sure the dial is meteorite having held it but there's various types. The one Rolex uses has a very high iron content which does give it a darker appearance. Luckily I got this at wholesale cost as I agree its not $800-1000 worth but it is nice in its own right

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
I agree, I am pretty sure the dial is meteorite having held it but there's various types. The one Rolex uses has a very high iron content which does give it a darker appearance. Luckily I got this at wholesale cost as I agree its not $800-1000 worth but it is nice in its own right

This seems like very good value to me. I recently bought an meteorite dial for my GMT from Oascom that cost almost as much as this rep does. I'm not throwing shade on Oascom's pricing. He makes the dials himself in small batches in the USA, and I think he does excellent work. But for the price of the dial, you're getting a 4130 movement, case, bezel, crystal, and oysterflex bracelet. I'd say that's good value.

Reactions: pistebasher

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19

What are you even talking about??
That's not why it gives it a darker appearance....Gibeon and Muons is what's used in jewelry. They are both fine octahedrites and both have 90% iron. It's the etchants and the final finish to the surface that determine if it's dark or light. The advantage to Gibeon is the corrosion resistance and it's easier to work with. Muons is tougher and easier for corrosion because of their different environments.

If you still have the dial, put a magnet to it or weigh it.

Reactions: QueTip

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
What are you even talking about??
That's not why it gives it a darker appearance....Gibeon and Muons is what's used in jewelry. They are both fine octahedrites and both have 90% iron. It's the etchants and the final finish to the surface that determine if it's dark or light. The advantage to Gibeon is the corrosion resistance and it's easier to work with. Muons is tougher and easier for corrosion because of their different environments.

If you still have the dial, put a magnet to it or weigh it.

Sure hold a magnet up to a $1000 watch, great idea!

KilowattHour

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/19
Looking in the sale topic photos I gotta say I like Scotty's dial quite a bit. I like that it's a bit whiter and more understated. I see it's already sold though.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Lmao oh wow....yikes. Im going to let you think that comment over again.

Not everyone is a watch maker or has the ability to remove a dial from a 4130 watch. Id say less than 0.1% on here are. I have no idea if scotty can take apart watches, but its not the best idea saying hold a magnet up to a watch. If my comment saves one newbie from a big mistake, happy days. We get you dont like the watch. Thats neither here not there. Id argue even the markers on most watches would probably be picked up by a magnet, again im not going to try it because i know what magnets do to mechanical movements and i dont want to have to demag the dial. Just terrible advice man. If you want to hold a magnet to it, buy one yourself, dont tell others to do it.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Not everyone is a watch maker or has the ability to remove a dial from a 4130 watch. Id say less than 0.1% on here are. I have no idea if scotty can take apart watches, but its not the best idea saying hold a magnet up to a watch. If my comment saves one newbie from a big mistake, happy days. We get you dont like the watch. Thats neither here not there. Id argue even the markers on most watches would probably be picked up by a magnet, again im not going to try it because i know what magnets do to mechanical movements and i dont want to have to demag the dial. Just terrible advice man. If you want to hold a magnet to it, buy one yourself, dont tell others to do it.
z5T3BX.png

Well let's just hope newbies read better than you do lol. You seem to be confused with watch and dial.

Also if you look back I quoted Scotty saying he held it, so when I asked if HE ,not newbies not random members still had the dial to put a magnet to it or weigh it.
​​​

Last edited:

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
z5T3BX.png

Well let's just hope newbies read better than you do lol. You seem to be confused with watch and dial.

Also if you look back I quoted Scotty saying he held it, so when I asked if HE ,not newbies not random members still had the dial to put a magnet to it or weigh it.
​​​

Don't have the dial on me Yogi as watch is sold. I did take a loupe to it when I had it and I think it is meteorite but a different type of meteorite from the one Rolex uses. If you ignore the gen comparisons, I think it's a real nice watch in its own right.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Don't have the dial on me Yogi as watch is sold. I did take a loupe to it when I had it and I think it is meteorite but a different type of meteorite from the one Rolex uses. If you ignore the gen comparisons, I think it's a real nice watch in its own right.

Aw ok, Damn that would have been interesting to see.

MFK100

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
But subdial sunburst are still wrong tho

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Yes sunbursts on subdials are missing and bezel engraving is not the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azertyski

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
24/10/17
I have a question, maybe stupid...but I try;)
Do we know the quality of QF? Compare to BTF or Clean?

MFK100

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
ca5b3334de9402c67b088ea9e9f18be0.jpg

iskillio

12/9/14
97e641af192c937c7a9bf3d8c9b767b2.jpg

Well thus has me concerned. In your QC I thought this had potential but in these pics you can see it doesn't refract at different angles at all. Nice dial but not meteorite

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MFK100

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
Ya i have managed my expectations for USD800 . Was not expecting a perfect meteorite. However , i am not hating it and it still gives me different shades under different lightings. Ill see how i feel with it for couple of days. Ill post a gen from chrono as well for reference

3dbc20013d46f5e90845cbe1a9aca261.png

b08ee78311a5536ca284536631e7751e.png

iskillio

12/9/14
Ya i have managed my expectations for USD800 . Was not expecting a perfect meteorite. However , i am not hating it and it still gives me different shades under different lightings. Ill see how i feel with it for couple of days. Ill post a gen from chrono as well for reference

3dbc20013d46f5e90845cbe1a9aca261.png

b08ee78311a5536ca284536631e7751e.png

Agreed on that note. I'm more impressed that you got it for $800. Lin had them listed over $900, need that connect lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 992TurboS