• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Unusual application of Nitrous Oxide

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I was having a conversation with CBR and N2O came up. I was going to send this to him but I recall there are car buffs here so I thought I'd share it with the lot of you. :)

I worked at Holley Performance Products during their heyday when they were blowing money right and left. We had just purchased Nitrous Oxide Systems Inc. (NOS) and we were relocating them from Costa Mesa CA to Pomona CA in with So-Cal Speedshop, which we also owned.

I was working at NOS getting ready for the move and had gotten a Chevy Venture minivan from Avis rental for the time I was there. One of the NOS techs came to tell me that my van had someone blocked and if I would just give him the keys ....

I didn't think anything of it and tossed them to him. About 30 minutes later I realized he hadn't come back yet. :unsure2: I went out to the parking lot and found them installing the "rental kit" on the van. The van was rated @ 235HP and they jetted it for 75HP. There was no way to boost the fuel pressure so I had to make sure I had the gas pedal matted before hitting the button.

Everyone congregated in the parking lot to see me do a nitrous burnout. :) I remember cruising down the 405 (I think) about 70MPH and a car came flying up to pass me... I waited until he was at my window and I matted the gas and hit the button... and I kid you not, the van torqued up. I actually felt it twist a bit and for a split second we remained side-by-side; then I started pulling away. I never got where I could see his face but I sure would have loved to. :D

IMAGE001.JPG

IMAGE002.JPG

Image0025.jpg

Image0026.jpg

Image0028.jpg

Image0029.jpg

CBR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/7/07
Thats just not right...

DonBrizzel

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/8/09
Too funny...... There is actually a dodge caravan that is juicing here in Maryland. He goes up to Capital Raceway every now and then. He usually runs mid to low 11s in that damn thing, its insane. I think he also has the turbo motor, though...

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
har har nitro. You are nuts but sure your neighbours kinda respect your minivan :p

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
I thought you were about to post a link to a forum thread from a few months back where some yo-yo poured a can of NOS beverage into his motorcycle.

gasdoc

Certified
26/11/06
It's awesome that they did that to a rental!

Not exactly what I was expecting from the thread title though, considering what I use N2O for on an almost daily basis :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
ROFL!
Classic mate. Ya can't use that stuff on the street here anymore. It can be installed but the bottle must be disconnected on public roads.

Col.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
haha very cool, but why waste the money and not throw it on a race car, unless you wifey wants to go super fast, which is again, very cool!

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
haha very cool, but why waste the money and not throw it on a race car, unless you wifey wants to go super fast, which is again, very cool!

This was a portable, quick-install "kit" they made (not for sale) to use on rental cars when they had execs out or whatever. :)

I had nitrous on my last toy; 150HP dry 1st stage and 300HP wet second stage. 1000HP at the wheels. :D

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
I thought you were about to post a link to a forum thread from a few months back where some yo-yo poured a can of NOS beverage into his motorcycle.

yeah, that was a classic. I belong to a couple of sportbike forums and that one went wild. !!!!

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Holy Fack! I swear a juiced Saturn was on my ass this summer while i was on my Duc on Sunrise hwy..... Now I know.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Only question that matters. What kind of watch is that?

I presume you're talking about the watch on the tech's wrist in one of the photos. Funny, when I took those pics I didn't even notice, much less care. When I re-discovered them on my computer that was the first thing I noticed! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
it also works pretty good to cool the brakes. i saw john lingenfelter's crew plum 4-20lb bottles to the 4 wheel discs on a 200mph trans am. it worked well.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
it also works pretty good to cool the brakes. i saw john lingenfelter's crew plum 4-20lb bottles to the 4 wheel discs on a 200mph trans am. it worked well.

Hmm, braver men than I.
Red hot brake disk, meet freezing cold Nitro, no thanks!

Col.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
it started from the beginning of braking before they turned red hot. kept them from getting that hot to begin with. it was for a bonneville salt flats car, it was the first 200mph door slammer f body. it was for emergency stops in case anything went wrong.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Ahhhh, smart idea actualy.

Col.