• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Build - Franken / Marlin 217

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
So here's another piece of Marlin magic.

I had traded for the base watch a while ago that had a nice gen dial, 'OK' gen hands and an Eddie Lee case that was unfortunately damaged when the previous owner tried to remove the strap. It also had a completely wrong movement for the 217 as the 'OP' marking was upside down and also printed - oh, and dead.

It was a twist of fate that @RepIseek happened to have an unfortunate event where his XF127 was damaged and he was gracious enough to sell me his 127 for the parts.

The best and most fortuitous aspect of this build is that after sending the watch to Marlin, he informed me that he had a set of 217 bridges that he had been saving for 'the right project'... The XF case was used along with the EL bezel, crown guard, xtal and Noob case back.

Some pics from Marlin:

Last edited:

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Congratulations! Not the most informative photos for a detailed assessment, but it is interesting to note that the EL, NOOB and XF parts fit together. Curious to know if it was a direct replacement, or did it require some sort of machining?

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Congratulations! Not the most informative photos for a detailed assessment, but it is interesting to note that the EL, NOOB and XF parts fit together. Curious to know if it was a direct replacement, or did it require some sort of machining?
Thank you. I don't have the watch yet (should be here later this week), so I'll post more pictures then. If you are looking for perfection in the brushing on the case above the lugs, Marlin couldn't achieve it.. Much better, but not perfect due to the manufacturing process...

Not many would think to ask the question about fitment between EL / Noob and XF parts... I was also concerned that we could make it work. Luckily everything fit perfectly with no machining required,. Note that one of the previous owners had already swapped the EL caseback for the Noob (on the EL case), so I had more confidence that the parts were interchangeable. Still have to pay respect to Marlin for actually making it work.

patnaboy

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/3/12
Looks great! Solid combo of different parts. Enjoy the watch (y)

altesporsche

Patron
Certified
21/3/12
So are these recently from Joe ? if so you are lucky to have received them, last i heard he had a long back log. I've had quite a few of his back in the day. again stunning watches mate ! enjoy them in good health !

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
So are these recently from Joe ? if so you are lucky to have received them, last i heard he had a long back log. I've had quite a few of his back in the day. again stunning watches mate ! enjoy them in good health !
Thank you, and I will (hopefully)!

All of my Marlin builds are from within the last year. Some took longer than others to complete and the wait time just depends on when Joe is able to get work done. However long it takes, the results are well worth the wait.

Reactions: altesporsche