• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 5396 Annual Calendar from ZF

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Moonphase is on 30 day basis on all watches or not?

Should be 29.5 days

Per some article:

The lunar month is approximately 29.5 days, but this is only an approximate number. The length of any given lunar month can vary by several hours, depending on the positions of the Earth and the Moon in their orbits, but the current average length of a lunar month is 29 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes, and 2.8 seconds. A moonphase display therefore will show an approximately correct moonphase, and different watches will show what’s actually visible in the sky with varying degrees of precision.

The disk has 59 teeth on its edge and it’s advanced one tooth per day (59 divided by two is 29.5) so it makes one half turn per lunar month.

Reactions: Snuf

zlez93

Horology Curious
10/12/23
I ordered the 5396 from the one watch as ZF version an on the QC he send me the new PPF version. And yes all is functional

Look 5396 PPF
What do you think of it now? I'm in the market for a new PP and I really really like the 5396 but not sure if its close to gen.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
What do you think of it now? I'm in the market for a new PP and I really really like the 5396 but not sure if its close to gen.

IMO any of the rose gold versions would be considered closer to gen. Because the white metal is steel. And unless you get it white gold plated, it would be too far from gen irl.

I think the sector dial or not is more of a matter of preference and taste.

Please be aware that the steel ZF with white dial (non sector dial) doesn’t have the correct dial color. The dial color is too ivory. It’s supposed to be silvery-white.

Reactions: BIONONE

zlez93

Horology Curious
10/12/23
IMO any of the rose gold versions would be considered closer to gen. Because the white metal is steel. And unless you get it white gold plated, it would be too far from gen irl.

I think the sector dial or not is more of a matter of preference and taste.

Please be aware that the steel ZF with white dial (non sector dial) doesn’t have the correct dial color. The dial color is too ivory. It’s supposed to be silvery-white.
That's good to know! I was thinking of getting the RG version anyways. I've been trying to compare qc photos of a white dial from PPF on reddit with videos of the genuine. I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me but it seems like the dial on the rep is a bit too ivory too/yellowish.
What are your thoughts, or do you think there are bigger tells on the watch?

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Re tells, as you probably know, the biggest tell is the wearer. Then it's the strap -- upgrade the rep one for a high-quality strap from Camille Fournet, for example, and the watch will jump to another level. You can't fix the date wheel, which is slightly sunken relative to gen, but most people will never notice that except in a side by side comparison with the gen, which you're never going to do.

I have the 5396 sector dial WG plated on a HQ navy alligator strap and it's excellent. I'm sure yours will be too if you upgrade the strap.

zlez93

Horology Curious
10/12/23
Re tells, as you probably know, the biggest tell is the wearer. Then it's the strap -- upgrade the rep one for a high-quality strap from Camille Fournet, for example, and the watch will jump to another level. You can't fix the date wheel, which is slightly sunken relative to gen, but most people will never notice that except in a side by side comparison with the gen, which you're never going to do.

I have the 5396 sector dial WG plated on a HQ navy alligator strap and it's excellent. I'm sure yours will be too if you upgrade the strap.
What do you mean by sunken date wheel??

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
I mean that the day month and date are slightly sunken relative to the gen.

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Correct. Look at pics of the gen and compare them to the rep. You'll notice that on the gen, the dates are more flush with the dial, whereas on reps, they're a little less so, more sunken. It's a small detail but it is there. Is it a deal killer? IDK - there's a $30K difference in price.

Reactions: watcher009