• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 1675 grail watch by The Atelier

Kiedo

Horology Curious
25/8/22
Here is my grail watch.

For some time I’ve been thinking about how I might be able to secure a 1675. The prices for Gen watch are prohibitive.

I found the RWI site and community through a friend who had bought a Rep version of his Sub in order to preserve the condition of his watch.

I started to research whether there were any TD’s that sold a vintage style 1675. The only one I was able to find was a BP, fairly cheap but didn’t really convince me to buy.

That was when I stumbled across Lucian’s work. Lucian works with members to compile a list of parts which he would bring together. The versions I saw were amazing and each one was slightly different to the next, as you would expect from a vintage rep.

Lucian was really responsive and provided contacts/options for various parts. I didn’t want to go cheap so went with a Viet case and a refinished dial. The movement would be an Asian 2836 with the GMT adapter. I really wanted a gen ETA to be used (which I bought) but we decided it would need a service adding additional expense. The Asian 2836 was fine on the timegrapher so we went with that. We had a bit of back and forth on the handset. The hands I bought weren’t right so I asked Lucian to order new ones which would mean a further delay (the trials and tribulations of rep watch building!). The crystal that came with the Viet case also needed replacing as It had an inside scratch. Again, Lucian sourced and recommended a crystal he had used on a previous build. There were some issues with the space required for the second hand, Lucian suggested that a longer second-hand wheel with a longer pinion for the short tube would be the best way forward. Indeed, it was.

So here is my 1675. I couldn’t be happier with the job Lucian has done. I feel more informed about watch building but also much more aware that it is not an exact science and depending on your parts list, you really need a watchmaker that can come up with solutions.

I could not recommend Lucian high enough. I have a number of watches that need servicing that I will placing my trust in Lucian to take care of. You should too.

Ah0rsey

18 hands high, bushy mane.
Patron
Certified
9/8/22
uk
very nice , good to find additional contacts to use this side of the pond!!!!

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Here is my grail watch.

For some time I’ve been thinking about how I might be able to secure a 1675. The prices for Gen watch are prohibitive.

I found the RWI site and community through a friend who had bought a Rep version of his Sub in order to preserve the condition of his watch.

I started to research whether there were any TD’s that sold a vintage style 1675. The only one I was able to find was a BP, fairly cheap but didn’t really convince me to buy.

That was when I stumbled across Lucian’s work. Lucian works with members to compile a list of parts which he would bring together. The versions I saw were amazing and each one was slightly different to the next, as you would expect from a vintage rep.

Lucian was really responsive and provided contacts/options for various parts. I didn’t want to go cheap so went with a Viet case and a refinished dial. The movement would be an Asian 2836 with the GMT adapter. I really wanted a gen ETA to be used (which I bought) but we decided it would need a service adding additional expense. The Asian 2836 was fine on the timegrapher so we went with that. We had a bit of back and forth on the handset. The hands I bought weren’t right so I asked Lucian to order new ones which would mean a further delay (the trials and tribulations of rep watch building!). The crystal that came with the Viet case also needed replacing as It had an inside scratch. Again, Lucian sourced and recommended a crystal he had used on a previous build. There were some issues with the space required for the second hand, Lucian suggested that a longer second-hand wheel with a longer pinion for the short tube would be the best way forward. Indeed, it was.

So here is my 1675. I couldn’t be happier with the job Lucian has done. I feel more informed about watch building but also much more aware that it is not an exact science and depending on your parts list, you really need a watchmaker that can come up with solutions.

I could not recommend Lucian high enough. I have a number of watches that need servicing that I will placing my trust in Lucian to take care of. You should too.
🙏