• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modded KVF RM 11 03 Project.

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
Hi all,

This is my first real modding project and took me a while as I have limited tools at my disposal. Everything had to be more or less done by hand though I do possess a Dremmel.

I think everyone was pretty hacked off when the Richard Mille 11 - 03 project was scrapped, I know I was and had waited patiently while we heard bits and pieces but then nothing.

So what to do. I had bought (quite a few years ago several KVF 11 - 03’s) when they were popular but one of the main problems is the thickness at 18mm. The Gen is more around 14.5mm. I wondered how much I could this and re-shape the case and still leave the watch functional. I thought if I could remove about 1mm top and bottom from the mid case - so reducing by 2mm o/all but then thinning the front and back bezels by say 0.5mm in thickness also, that would get the o/all thickness down to say just under 15mm. This would hopefully make the watch a lot more wearable.

I also wanted to round the front bezel more where it met the strap which would visually extend the case to be more Gen like where the strap bolts are.

I was lucky that I also had a grey KVF RM - 035 strap which hopefully would fit the new thinner case as the original strap would no longer fit between the bezels as it would be too thick.

Sorry I don’t have a load of pictures of all this, as it started off as one of those projects that I wasn’t sure would work, so it wasn’t altogether planned - only in my head!

Obviously lowering the front bezel would mean that the hands would become closer to the front sapphire and the plastic inner bezel would have to be reduced by a millimetre too, so that the front stainless bezel would fit down snug. In fact, this was my only real problem, as I lightly sanded the back of the plastic inner bezel, I overdid it slightly and the yellow lumped pips dropped off.

So….. what to do. I thought OK, I will try reducing the plastic bezel from my KVF - 035 watch. This worked fine and allowed me to get the front stainless steel bezel to fit down tight .

On both front and back of the mid case I had to dremmel out a groove to refit the rubber gaskets (sorry no pics). This took quite a while, but a mixture of dremmel and by hand, I managed.

On the rear bezel, the crown now fitted slightly over it, just like on a Gen, so I had to dremmel out this slightly to allow the crown to turn smoothly.

The pushers on the KVF were a pretty awful shape so we’re removed these and re-shaped to look more Gen like and less crap!

The finished watch doesn’t feel like you have Big Ben on your wrist anymore and is about 14.9mm thick from the top of the front bezel to the back of the back bezel, with the sapphire sitting just slightly proud. I have shown next to another original thickness KVF to give an idea of the difference in thickness. When the watch was all back together, I found the Chrono hand was just catching the glass at 12.00 and 6.00. So it all had to come apart again and the hands were adjusted to stop this happening. I hope you agree these mods do make a significant improvement and whilst the watch wouldn’t fool a real RM fan, it’s a real improvement over the standard KVF watch.

Please see the limited pics I have below - the first 4 pics are the final watch with the final plastic bezel and the sapphire cleaned up and sitting down snug into the stainless front bezel - lower pics are before sapphire was cleaned up and re-glued back into position:

87773-BE0-EC2-A-4040-916-A-8-F91-D0393097.jpg

9-A5-B5385-93-BF-4-EC8-BE15-ACF9-A515-DC4-C.jpg

C6303-AD4-459-F-4651-9-AC7-58-A4457-DBFC4.jpg

4-B8-D7-B19-1781-463-B-99-CF-A565-E080-B101.jpg

04-FD44-BB-6-BF9-4-A6-D-BB24-025-B0-BB2-E14-F.jpg

08662-A92-7-F08-4153-9-E69-891-EEE22-BC0-F.jpg

58963342-D3-F8-4314-A03-C-C06-CA6-B41814.jpg

14327-E7-A-358-D-4-C07-A8-F7-05-ADCE64-F1-E5.jpg

Last edited:

Takel98

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
22/7/19
Europe
Wow looks way better than that kvf junkie.. could we also get a front shot picture? Case looks really nice like this I would say it’s pretty spot on :)

Reactions: aquamac

OffshoreNL

20/2/21
Europe
WOW! Amazing project :) Are you able to measure the case thickness? Anything that can be done about the date wheel font? Without opening Chrono24 now and comparing it to a gen the only difference I notice is the missing blue hue crystal and the date font looks like off as usual. Otherwise a significant improvement over the KVF crap out there. Please keep going!! ;)

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
WOW! Amazing project :) Are you able to measure the case thickness? Anything that can be done about the date wheel font? Without opening Chrono24 now and comparing it to a gen the only difference I notice is the missing blue hue crystal and the date font looks like off as usual. Otherwise a significant improvement over the KVF crap out there. Please keep going!! ;)

Thanks for your comments my friend. I actually do have a ZF sapphire Crystal that would potentially fit and tried it over the front bezel and the shape is fine. The ZF sapphire has the blue tint and is much better quality, however, it fits to the bezel in a very different way and would require a fairly extensive mod the the stainless front bezel. This would need to glue “lip” removing all round where the original sapphire glues onto it and then there would need to be approximately a 3mm chamfer machined out of the back of the bezel on the underside which would be quite challenging without the correct machinery - tricky by hand. I haven’t given up on the idea though, but need to work out a way of doing this. I do have a spare stainless bezel as well, so we will have to see what I can do when I have a bit more time as I agree with you, this would complete the look.

On another note, as you can see from the rear view, I am missing a splined screw (I may just order a full complete set). The rotor still spins in the reduced case, but by god it’s close!

I have had a look at the size of a Gen 11 - 03 online and here they are: 49.94 mm x 44.50 mm x 16.15 mm - so I was wrong on the thickness, mine is coming out at 49 x 44.4 x 16.58 mm, however, by thinning the front and back further I recon I can shave off a further 0.5 mm and get down to Gen specs fairly easily.

D4677-A0-B-6-E07-4-D8-A-8725-D8-B2-A09-BF78-A.jpg

Last edited:

Takel98

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
22/7/19
Europe
Amazing I would suggest it I can leaving the thickness which I mean on a 16mm thickness less than .5 its really irrelevant to the feel of the overall watch, I would be working more on the fat bezel that’s a little to wide, probably fixing this would be easier for a standard 11, and you might need to find a custom ar crystal considering the the screws still need to be centered, but really great work I’m in one if you plan to make it as a service/selling it lol :)

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
From your description this is built entirely differently than the KVF RM11 I've been playing with. Crystal is glued straight into the front bezel and the deco is a thick sandwich of several layers that can't be thinned from the back. The chamfer you describe on the bezel sounds like the construction in the 50 I tore apart, where the crystal is glued into the midcase. I wish you had some progress shots because from what I can tell I can't mod my (non-03) RM11 in the same way, and I'm interested in how construction changed.

That said, you routed the bezel gasket insert by hand? That's nuts, that's a 1x0.5mm gap!

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
“Amazing I would suggest it I can leaving the thickness which I mean on a 16mm thickness less than .5 its really irrelevant to the feel of the overall watch, I would be working more on the fat bezel that’s a little to wide, probably fixing this would be easier for a standard 11, and you might need to find a custom ar crystal considering the the screws still need to be centered, but really great work I’m in one if you plan to make it as a service/selling it lol” :)

I need to have a bit more practice before I bugg**r up someone else’s watch - lol!

From your description this is built entirely differently than the KVF RM11 I've been playing with. Crystal is glued straight into the front bezel and the deco is a thick sandwich of several layers that can't be thinned from the back. The chamfer you describe on the bezel sounds like the construction in the 50 I tore apart, where the crystal is glued into the midcase. I wish you had some progress shots because from what I can tell I can't mod my (non-03) RM11 in the same way, and I'm interested in how construction changed.

That said, you routed the bezel gasket insert by hand? That's nuts, that's a 1x0.5mm gap!

The groove was cut out using a dremmel (very lightly with the case in a vice) to achieve the groove for the gaskets, the corners with a triangular file took quite a while and did my hands no good at all :). On mine, the Crystal is glued into the top stainless bezel and came away easily after coating in glue remover (a small bowl of solvent would probably achieve the same thing). I haven’t come across any KVF’s that are made the way you describe. If your case has the Crystal glued into the mid case, I can see how that would be possibly a major issue. Later, I can post some pics of the KVF construction of another one I already have in bits. On the ZF 35’s, the Crystal is loose and sits in a detachable titanium holder with a rubber gasket but both of these just pull free, again, I tried mounting a KVF movement in a ZF carbon case but it stuck out the back by about 4mm. It looked great from the front lol and I would have even had a go at route ring out the case to accept the pushers - but the case is thinner than a std rm 011 case anyway.

Reactions: GiantSquid

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
aquamac that's some fine work, well done. As a fellow modder I'm totally interested in your process and all sorts of stuff about this if you're willing to share. I can also make parts here and there if you need, for example I can probably print you a resin rehaut although lume and printing would still need to be figured out. Hit me up on PM if you'd like or dump photos here, I'll be eagerly awaiting it.

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
aquamac that's some fine work, well done. As a fellow modder I'm totally interested in your process and all sorts of stuff about this if you're willing to share. I can also make parts here and there if you need, for example I can probably print you a resin rehaut although lume and printing would still need to be figured out. Hit me up on PM if you'd like or dump photos here, I'll be eagerly awaiting it.

Thanks mate, that’s really very kind of you. I’ve got 2 lots of photos to show you here, the first lot in this message are of the typical KVF watches I have and in the next post, when I looked at trying to achieve this in a ZF mid case (which won’t work as that case is just too thin:

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
Here is the ZF case which has a very nice Sapphire and take a look at the back of the forged carbon bezel and the shape cut into it:

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
Even with the back of the 7750 movement removed, you can’t get the back bezel into position. But the real killer here is the position of the crown - it fits virtually at the point where the mid case and back bezel meet!

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
Having investigated the ZF skull case, provided it can be drilled for pushers, the measurements look spot on for size. There would of course be the potential lowering of the crown. This case even takes a Gen 11 - 03 strap. This watch has identical sapphire fitting arrangement as their RM 035 in thpcs areas. Ave taken one apart.

C72-CFE59-ADBB-4-E45-ABF2-9569-AC9-B913-F.jpg

Last edited:

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
Fitted a new set of Gen black bolts, I am going to have a chat with an acquaintance of mine who has a small engineering workshop, to see if I can’t get my spare stainless front bezel machined at the rear to accept the ZF sapphire assembly - it might take a while though……..

FE9-EEE3-C-EF62-4882-8009-692-F591229-A0.jpg

DB3513-B8-AEB4-4817-8465-2-EC9-B0-EBA3-A3.jpg

Last edited:

Marquis_45

Horology Curious
10/8/22
Is that a gen band on the modded version? I'm looking to thin my rm011 RG but would like to get a better band fitted.

If you have any advise, I would love that