• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Porsche Worldtimer GMT

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
After checking this watch out for a while, i decided to pull the trigger on it.... I sort of wish I hadn't for a couple of reasons;

1. It looks better and more interesting in the pics
  2. the simple modifications to the movement make it less than desirable IMO
It seems that to achieve a functioning GMT feature, the factories have engaged the chrono train in the watch to run full time. It was silly of me not to pick up on this before I bought, but I suspect that other A7750 GMT's are modified in a similar way???? I don't like running the chronos in any of my watches at all - I don't like the extra strain it puts on the movement, and given the less than extravagant nature of the A7750, the less moving parts inside the watch, the better. It also results in a jumpier than usual seconds hand (being that the seconds hand on the Porsche is a big long sucker) and amplifies the jittery nature of the sweep on these. Although I have no doubt that a service would improve things here, according to my watchmaker, a little 'bar spring' that normally nestles in under the chrono gear on ETA powered watches has been omitted on the A7750's - it's basic design brief is to pick up the slack in the chrono gearset, helping to achieve the nice smooth sweep we all seem to love.

Anyway, seeing as this particular watch has already stopped on me, I've decided to enlist my watch guy for a service and while we're at it, we're going to disable the GMT function on the watch by simply toggling the chrono stop/start pusher tab to 'off'.... Obviously this can only be done from inside the watch, but I see no reason as to why this can't be done, because although the chrono feature has been modified, the pusher tabs are almost certainly still intact - just not engaged due to the lack of start/stop pushers on the outside of the watch.... So, once stopped, pressing the reset tab will/should see the (normally running) seconds hand reset to 12 and hopefully yield a much more reliable watch....

I will update with progress in the future :)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Gen for reference...

porschegmt.jpg

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
Accuracy is good enough to be a among the super reps of the rep-world, it is definitely a great rep, just not a great loooking watch (to me, anyway)....

orson

Renowned Member
8/12/09
I have been thinking about one of these in the 21j version as the case set appears to be the same quality from the dealer pics. Presumably the GMT disc works from the same mechanism as the hand on the regular GMTs.

I cant see how the location sets though unless it doesn't link to the GMT and is individually set to mimic the gen in appearance only.