• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Measuring/specing for acrylic glass size (raffles 6538 39mm case)

paul837

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/11/19
Hello,
I've got a raffles 6538 39mm case, the acrylic broke and popped out.
Original was fitted with a gasket, no glue residue.

I measured the inside case diameter with the gasket that's still in place (without compressing it) as 30.3mm
Measured the inside case diameter without gasket as 31.3mm

Do I apply +0.1mm over the gasket measurement and purchase 30.04mm replacement?

The original cracked plexi seemed to be 30.2mm which seems like it would be too small, hense why I'm checking. Perhaps they disform once used?

Also any suggestions on dome charateristics for the 6538 and if I need one with or without "step" ? I have an account with cousinsUK or I can buy china

Thank you!!

paul837

5/11/19
Hey, thanks for joining my struggle, so I ordered a 30.4 and it was too small (it was manufactured abit smaller than advised as well).

On my reoder, sizing wise i went better big rather than too small hense 30.6mm.
I now have a HW306 and a cheap acrylic lift.

When gripping the acryilic in the jaw, holding upside down and inserting case, the glass just falls threw the claw when applying pressure because of the ~2mm flat section. It sucks, seemed impossible to fit with the jaw.

I got the 30.6 on my piece by depressing it using a sapphire type pressure tool/dye, it wasn't easy but I figured I probably had abit extra size to squeze, since I wanted a nice waterproof fit.

So after fitment I realised the glass freely spins in the case, there's simply not enough tension on the gasket, hense I know that if I tried to push to plastic out with my fingers, it would pop out easily enough.
I can't really see myself being able to fit a larger diameter glass in this case, at least not with the tools I have. Online advise seems to be use 0.1mm bigger than glass gasket measurements (which would be 30.4mm glass), aditionally the orginal glass was just 30.2mm when removed, don't recall that spinning.
Any advise?

If i need to order a bigger diamter glass and a fitting tool that works better than my jaw, I'll do that but i'm not sure its the answer

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
When gripping the acryilic in the jaw, holding upside down and inserting case, the glass just falls threw the claw when applying pressure because of the ~2mm flat section. It sucks, seemed impossible to fit with the jaw.

I got the 30.6 on my piece by depressing it using a sapphire type pressure tool/dye, it wasn't easy but I figured I probably had abit extra size to squeze, since I wanted a nice waterproof fit.

Why have you got a 22mm die inside the case ?

You're not putting any pressure on the case using the press like that.

Put the gasket in the case, crystal on top - level - put a large die on top of that then with the case positioned under the press rotate the bar so that the rod pushes down on the crystal pushing in to place. I don't see why a 30.4mm crystal would be too small in a case with a 31.3mm aperture and a 1mm gasket.

paul837

5/11/19
Why have you got a 22mm die inside the case ?

You're not putting any pressure on the case using the press like that.

Put the gasket in the case, crystal on top - level - put a large die on top of that then with the case positioned under the press rotate the bar so that the rod pushes down on the crystal pushing in to place. I don't see why a 30.4mm crystal would be too small in a case with a 31.3mm aperture and a 1mm gasket.
It was to temporarily compress the acryilic into a smaller diameter whilest dropping it into the case, it then expanded back to original size and presssure fits in place. Don't think the gasket would hold up otherwise on this.
Not too sure about size but I just went with trial and error style. I still have my 30.6mm fitted and so far so good, it felt like 30.7 would be best to me but I don't have much knowledge on the matter.
Hoping to revisit / redo the ageing of dial and hands in the future.