• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking to build a 1016. Any advice?

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hey, I believe if you do that you will also need to replace the mainspring, otherwise your balance might overbank. Ask me how I know.
I’ve heard that the 2840 has a plastic pallet fork, is that true?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hey, I believe if you do that you will also need to replace the mainspring, otherwise your balance might overbank. Ask me how I know.
I’ve heard that the 2840 has a plastic pallet fork, is that true?

I'll check about the mainspring and I'll do that if it occurs the balance wheel overbanks.

Regarding the plastic parts in swatch movements ... I've also heard about that
Here's a 2840's pallet fork and escape wheel and they're not plastic

zdRjHj.jpg

Nevertheless ... for my Sellita SW200-1 modd I'll first try to replace the balance spring and balance wheel only and see how it works :rolleyes:

Reactions: freebalkany

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
This is my most recent.:

raffles sterile case with modified bezel T21 domed crystal
a bit of case work and some aging
ruby mk2 matte dial ( lume is a light toasted almond tone)
eta 2824-2
raffles hands ( may change in the future)
old cartel rivet bracelet (no removable links)

has not left my wrist for a month.

I did comparison thread on the ruby and jmb cases in the vintage watches sub forum The search function seems buggy so you might have to do some digging.

I do like the superdome crystal that the ruby 1016 cases come with but for 750 or however much their charging now it doesn't include a crown and the tube only accepts gen so that is another 150.00 . You also need a movement ring which is another 20-50 Since you went this route and got a mk2 dial I would contact them and make a note that you want a date stamp and serial for mid to late 60's the mk2 dial like mine is a tight serial range and quite rare in the wild.

look fwd to seeing your project come together

ToeKnee

Supporter
Certified
13/7/17
The VN 2824 I bought was a Swiss movmt instead of Asian. I was advised that was the way to go.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
The VN 2824 I bought was a Swiss movmt instead of Asian. I was advised that was the way to go.
I have Gen eta in two of my explorers Accurate workhorse but with a clean sweep and high beat rate its a tell

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Does anyone know if JMB is still doing cases? His last few posts seem to suggest he’s out of the rep world.

Also how do you all feel about Mochacha components?

I have Gen eta in two of my explorers Accurate workhorse but with a clean sweep and high beat rate its a tell
Hope I can show a low beat Sellita here next week 🤪

Reactions: 369mafia

ToeKnee

Supporter
Certified
13/7/17
Question: With the VN case, if I am able to source a gen 1570 movement would I be able to fit it in the case? I’m assuming I would need a different crown, tube and dial.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Question: With the VN case, if I am able to source a gen 1570 movement would I be able to fit it in the case? I’m assuming I would need a different crown, tube and dial.
Yes it will, the vn cases are designed for the gen movements. ( they are sold to try and actually fool people) you will need a rolex movement holder for it

no difference to crown tube . vn dial will have feet for 15xx movement so as long as you dont remove the feet off the dial to mount to a eta the dial will fit the rolex movement

Reactions: ToeKnee

1675lover

Known Member
23/7/22
Looking at getting a Yuki matte dial white Lume with ETA feet. Which mk is it based off on? Mk5?
Also thinking of getting a white Lume hands from raffles.
Do the white colours match or is the colour on either slightly Greyish white / off-white?

ToeKnee

Supporter
Certified
13/7/17
Yes it will, the vn cases are designed for the gen movements. ( they are sold to try and actually fool people) you will need a rolex movement holder for it

no difference to crown tube . vn dial will have feet for 15xx movement so as long as you dont remove the feet off the dial to mount to a eta the dial will fit the rolex movement

My build was using a Swiss eta so I’m assuming the builder had to make whatever adjustments needed to fit the dial.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
When you use a VN case made for a Rolex movement, there's no Rolex movement holder that I'm aware of. The movement fits in the case because the case is made to fit the movement. Rolex movements are in the 28mm range. ETA movements are in the 26mm range and need the movement spacer when they're placed in a case made for a Rolex movement.

Reactions: ToeKnee

ToeKnee

Supporter
Certified
13/7/17
Anyone have experience with Moochacha dials?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Anyone have experience with Moochacha dials?
Fast shipping good service. I found the paint to be delicate and it chips on the edge rather easily . I found the lume to be stable and not too fragile but handle with care . especially for the prices lately

ToeKnee

Supporter
Certified
13/7/17
How about in terms of a bracelet. The rep I’m having made is head only. Anyone have a bracelet for sale or know where I could source a good one. Something period appropriate obviously.

ToeKnee

Supporter
Certified
13/7/17
I totally agree with @manodeoro, it would be a shame to spend funds on a vietnam case and then go with a raffles dial. but this is the beauty of this hobby its your own creation I guess...

As another member stated on here JMB does some great 1016 cases and they come with engravings, I'd personally opt for this over a vietnam case considering cost. The cost of Vietnam parts continue to rise... not sure if anyone else has noted this.

I would pair the JMB case set with a Vietnam dial of your choosing and a 7206 bracelet, I'd assume you'd be in your budget with a build like that.
Looking forward to see how you get on!
Having some trouble sourcing a good 7206 bracelet or any period correct bracelet for that matter. Any suggestions?

ToeKnee

Supporter
Certified
13/7/17
My 1016 just arrived. Overall, I 'm happy with it but a little disappointed in the dial. The builder suggested a frog for dial. It looks good in the QC pics but in hand the lume seems very flat with no depth or "puffiness" to it. Almost looks painted on. Other than that I'm pleased. I've heard mixed things about Raffles dials. Can anyone recommend a better dial that will fit onto the 2824?

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
My 1016 just arrived. Overall, I 'm happy with it but a little disappointed in the dial. The builder suggested a frog for dial. It looks good in the QC pics but in hand the lume seems very flat with no depth or "puffiness" to it. Almost looks painted on. Other than that I'm pleased. I've heard mixed things about Raffles dials. Can anyone recommend a better dial that will fit onto the 2824

Where is the dial from?

the raffles dial is decent the lume on their dials has a slight sheen of newness that needs to be address to look passable.

Reactions: keisuke_z

ToeKnee

Supporter
Certified
13/7/17
Where is the dial from?

the raffles dial is decent the lume on their dials has a slight sheen of newness that needs to be address to look passable.

All parts were sourced by Bivintage who also did the work. As far as I’m aware all VN components except ETA which was Swiss.