• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hello - What is the most quiet movement?

spoonmasta

Horology Curious
12/7/10
Hi everyone,

After lurking the forum for months, I caught the rep bug. I got 5 reps this month :wacko: , and they have been 'hit or miss'. All my reps have 12j movements, four are keeping time within +/-8s. One is -11mins a day.

All of them are loud when winding! If its within a foot of me in a relatively quiet environment, like the car or bedroom, I can hear the winding noise when I move my arm. Sounds like a ratchet wrench. I've tried to oil it, but the sound is still the same.

I have a few gen wiss ETA movements - Zodiac, Movado, Accutron - none of them make this sound. So I was wondering if this is noise is the same with all asian movements? Are the ETA clones or the 4813 just as loud? This ratchet noise makes the watch feel so cheap. If there is a quiet movement out there in the rep world, I would gladly shell out some extra cash for it.

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
You need to open up your 21j's and regulate them!

and the 21j is generally a loud movement

ThreadLocker

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/12/07
Quartz is really quiet, but not as quiet as a sundial.......Most trusted dealers carry the sundial watch rep and they are priced well and wicked quiet......LOL

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Flamefree zone, TL!

:lol: Very funny, though.

ETAs are the most quiet. I can't think of one I own that I can hear the rotor.

prelude

Renowned Member
6/6/09
USA
You have to perform service to quiet rotor. Even stock rep ETA rotor's are loud before service compare to gen.

nakortheblue

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/1/09
The bearings on the rotor can be greased. The grease needs to be high temperature type that does not drip into the rest of the movement when the rotor is spinning.

spoonmasta

Horology Curious
12/7/10
Haha, i've played with the most high tech sundial watch out there. It was definitely quiet
jr9886_2.jpg

I thought I would get flamed for my noobie question, that's why I posted in the flame-free zone :) - I don't mind the flames as long as I can learn something useful in the process.

I emailed Katt about greasing the movement, and he told me that greasing will not quiet the 21j. I don't mind the rotor spinning noise, it's the ratcheting noise that makes me crazy. Are the 21j bi-directional winding or uni-drectional? It seems like it only makes the ratcheting noise when the rotor spins counter-clockwise.

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
He's probably right: nothing will quiet down the 21J. Either enjoy it or buy an ETA.