• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking at you Rolex Day-Date 118238 or 228238 - Am I doing this right??

Bishops

Looking Around
14/8/22
Hi everyone. Been lurking for a few weeks in my pursuit of a high-end Rolex Day Date 118238 or or 228238. So much info on the net and seemingly so much bullshit.

So my newb question:
Websites like Best Replica offer watches with 904l SS, 300m waterproofing, and clone movements (but no mention of which one) with interchangeable parts from the originals for about 1400. This is exactly what I am looking for but this seems too good to be true and you know what they say about that.

Then after researching you constantly hear about how great the Noob replicas are (not sure how great their Day-Date is). But when you look at sites like noob factory (i know probably not the real noob factory...) they come with 316 SS, 30m waterproofing, and clone movements (again no mention of which movement) for about the same price.

Checking the TD on the forms and the common lies, it seems like sites like these are complete BS.

So then I hop over to the Best Replicas thread, and there is no Day-Date listed.

So then I hop over to TD list and look for a good Day-date.
CHAZINGTIME - $368 - claims 904l steel and has A2836 movement. Seems like the A2386 movement is not really favored. At this price point can I really expect a watch with high enough quality to pass the look and feel test?
INTIME WATCHES - $328 - plated 316l and A2386 movement again. This is the 228238 though, which I would be fine with if it was accurate (hands are the wrong color).
TORO BRAVO - $448 - Might be the best I found. GM Factory - 904l gold plated and SA3235 movement.
THEONEWATCHES - $1308 - BP factory - Swiss ETA 2836-2 movement and 316. I don't mind paying this for a high-quality rep, but it doesn't seem superior since it comes with 316 and the cheaper movement. And they sell the same one from BP for almost 1k cheaper. EDIT: Looks like the gold plating is 3-4x as thick. How much of a difference does this make?
TRUSTY TIME - $448 - 904l gold plated but 2386 movement.

Am I doing this right? Is this how I am supposed to be shopping? The TotoBravo watch seems to be the best of the bunch since it has better movement, is better stainless, and comes from a known factory. Will this be the best replica/clone I can find? Seems like the best movement is the VR3235 but I cant find any with that movement.

Last edited:

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I generally use Jtime, TrustyTime and Puretime to look at pictures and get an idea of prices. Then I pick a TD based on their feedback and shipping cost/policy & speed.
Broadly speaking all can access the same factories/watches.

Only ever use the websites or contact information available at their RWI forum page. Scammers have set up sites using the TDs names!

With regard to buying a replica watch, just need to do some research and have patience, lots of patience :)

The process is sequential:
1. Choose the watch
2. Choose the factory/version
3. Choose the TD (24 to choose from)*
4. Send payment
5. Approve the QC photos
6. Wait

*Regarding TDs, my advice would be to check shipping costs and also their first order refund/replace policy, in the case of customs seizure/loss, as not all cover it.

Also, note that if you pay by credit card (not really recommended tbh) there are reports of additional bank processing charges with some TDs (not by the TDs, but your bank etc).

Best of luck with your order(s) and enjoy exploring the forum

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and kavorca1

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Trustytime is the best place to window shop and find the model you want. Find the watch you want and send the link to your desired TD. I have used 8 or 10 of the ones listed here, they will all deliver. I now use Jtimewatch almost exclusively.

Noob no longer exists, so focus on BP GMF EWF. BP and GMF are partner factories and will be virtually indistinguishable except for GMF's *claimed* 904L

904L is hype, don't pay extra for it

The big 904 steel scam AKA "Gimme yer money suckas"

Extra thick plating has some history of chipping off completely in small chunks. It's not universal or necessarily happening multiple times on a given sample but one incident on a sample ruins the watch IMO. I have 7 or 8 thin plated reps and have never had this happen. You should probably stick with "WG" initially. These are repped in SS.

Daydate president bracelets will be a disappointment. They are light and feel cheap compared to a gen or even to a rep oyster bracelet, which feels more substantial. There are no good inexpensive aftermarket president bracelets. Startime sells some real gold unbranded ones but they are very expensive. One of my bracelets was so bad I replaced it with a PCL oyster.

All of the factory models I mentioned use a 2836 with day and date wheel overlays with Rolex fonts. Don't be swayed by other movement claims, at best there may be a fake deco plate on the back of the movement or fake engravings. The 2836 is a solid movement that should last a while.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The DD's are still fun to have as long you set your expectations appropriately. I've never paid more than about $378 ish for any of mine.

16560364926590.jpg

16549105466611.jpg

16448541551431.jpg

16441054955710.jpg

16439908026010.jpg