• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Level of humidity

eltyrannos

18/10/11
Hi smokers ,

I have a question about my new humidor . I have humidified the inside of my new humidor and put a glass of distilled water inside the humidor , during 4 days.

Now me problem is that I have a level of humidity , of 74% without the humidifier...

Normal ?

Thx

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
No, don't put your smokes in there or they will blow up. Literally.

Leave it open for a few days, and you should be fine. It's a very common mistakes when first "seasoning" a humidor to over do it. Lightly wipe down the box with a damp NOT WET rag of 5% propelyne glycol and 95% distilled water. Place your moistened NOT SOAKED humidifying pad in the box for a few days and you should be at 70% exactly.

Why the glass of water?

eltyrannos

18/10/11
In my humidor guide , it advised me , to put a glass of distilled water inside the humidor , to allow cedar wood to absorbe humidity.
I think that my humidfiication system is to much humidify , because acvryl polymer are is very swolled

markmelheim

Known Member
19/6/12
Also get Humi beads the best to regulate your humidity, there are a few forum on cigars, CigarAsylum & BOTL (Brothers of the Leaf) The HeRF's and gtg are great many CC smokers out there with lots of knowlegde, I've beedn smokin for 15 years.

markmelheim

Known Member
19/6/12
65% is great for your everyday smoke ables I actually have 3 boxes, Long term collectables all aged CC's, daily's, and over flow.

Jimbo63

Looking Around
3/3/11
Believe it or not.....get a jar of Exquisicat fragrance free crystals (kitty litter) and put a bag made out of women's hose with the kitty litter in it and within a couple of days tha humidor should be at between 65* and 70*. I have a wine cooler converted to a humi and I haven't had to do anything to it for 6 months. It holds right at 65* RH which is just perfect for my CC's. Hope this helps.

nexterag

Renowned Member
6/1/14
I found from having numerous Humidors all set 1% apart that the best actual humidity FOR ME (my opinion) is 66%. You need to play around and balance out until you hit within the region of 65-68% Ignore what others say about your cigars blowing up, they won't. Anything south of 72% is fine, but try and bring it down. Too much and your cigars get damp and are hard to light, and keep lit whilst smoking!
Any Q's PM me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zerosette

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/9/15
The level of relative humidity for storing cigarettes is between 68% and about 74%, so that normal evolve flavors cigars better. Similarly, this level allows uniform pure power. With 70% humidity and a temperature of 18 ° C (64 ° F), the air contains about 10 grams of water per cubic meter of air. In such conditions, the cigar can absorb moisture ideal amount corresponding to 14% of its weight.Enjoy...

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
For my cigars I like it moist - 80%

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
In my humidor guide , it advised me , to put a glass of distilled water inside the humidor , to allow cedar wood to absorbe humidity.
I think that my humidfiication system is to much humidify , because acvryl polymer are is very swolled
This is very common and works well. However I've found using beads in a bowl works better but takes longer.

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
The ideal is typically 70/70 (70%/70 degrees Fahrenheit ). There are many reasons for this from taste to draw to allowing a cigar to age properly as well. While the temp should never sway far from 70, humidity can be from 67-74 depending on your draw preference.

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
A cigar can be sometimes "brought back" if it dips below 68% (though once dry it's a dog rocket) it can never be recovered if it gets too damp. Keep that in mind.