• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Konnichiwa from Japan

neville

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/3/17
Hi All:

For some reason, I'm not sure why, I've always been interested in watches and over the years have accumulated an assortment of perhaps twenty or so. Most of these are fairly ordinary with the exception of a Bentima gold wrist watch, purchased in 1958 as a gift to me from my mother. I was surprised recently to discover that its lume was radioactive (it measures 20.00 uSv/hr as opposed to a background radiation of 00.20 uSv/hr) although I wore it for years with no ill effect and such watches are apparently sought after today by certain collectors.

Like all other watch enthusiasts I've often looked with longing at the gorgeous photos of high end watches we run into occasionally, watches that are way beyond our limited budgets. I knew of course that cheap knockoffs were to be had - $10.00 'Rolexes' and suchlike - but only found out recently that 'high end replicas' were to be had. And not only that but, according to at least one enthusiast, these replicas were almost indistinguishable from the originals and worked almost as well. It was this Youtube video that set me searching for sources: 'The Truth about Replica Watches'
I imagine that many owners of originals wouldn't agree with what Numistacker says but he seems convincing to me.

It was my search for sources that led me here and I'd like to thank the owners for creating such a fascinating site and also its members for their many informative posts.

Best wishes to all from Tokyo!

atgm

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
21/11/15
Hey there! I'm in Tokyo as well; as far as I know, there are only two regular members here in Tokyo.

How long have you been in Japan/how long do you think you'll stay?

neville

14/3/17
Hi atgm:

I came here from Canada a long time ago and am a permanent resident, married and settled down, so I won't be returning.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
Hi atgm:

I came here from Canada a long time ago and am a permanent resident, married and settled down, so I won't be returning.

Fantastic to hear! I always love making long-term connections. Maybe we can get together sometime over dinner.

Since I'm in my tenth year, I'm ready for PR soon myself.

neville

14/3/17
Sounds great, but maybe I should have been more precise. I'm a little outside Tokyo actually, in Saitama about 25 km from the city center. Also my advanced age prevents me from getting around much but a meeting would be great if it could be arranged.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
Sounds great, but maybe I should have been more precise. I'm a little outside Tokyo actually, in Saitama about 25 km from the city center. Also my advanced age prevents me from getting around much but a meeting would be great if it could be arranged.

I'm in Katsushika myself, but I go to Gunma regularly via the Takasaki Line, so I pass through a fair bit of Saitama... worst-case scenario, I could just leg it out there some Saturday to meet for a bite of lunch. I actually have three watches with a guy in Tokorozawa, if you're around there...

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
I'm in Katsushika myself, but I go to Gunma regularly via the Takasaki Line, so I pass through a fair bit of Saitama... worst-case scenario, I could just leg it out there some Saturday to meet for a bite of lunch. I actually have three watches with a guy in Tokorozawa, if you're around there...

Whoa, my grandfather live in gunma so I go there every other year. Small world. I'm headed out that way this summer for a couple of weeks!

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
Whoa, my grandfather live in gunma so I go there every other year. Small world. I'm headed out that way this summer for a couple of weeks!

Oh, nice! Whereabouts? I lived in Takasaki for two years, then Maebashi for another three... spent two years up on the side of Akagi.

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
Oh, nice! Whereabouts? I lived in Takasaki for two years, then Maebashi for another three... spent two years up on the side of Akagi.

He's in Maebashi. My usual itinerary is Narita -> Asakusa -> Gunma -> Yokosuka -> Hamamatsu (Shizuoka) -> Narita

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
He's in Maebashi. My usual itinerary is Narita -> Asakusa -> Gunma -> Yokosuka -> Hamamatsu (Shizuoka) -> Narita

Maebashi, figures. Everyone's there or Takasaki... or in Isesaki, ew.

You know there's a bus directly from Narita to Maebashi Station, right? Takes about 2 hours IIRC, but beats carrying your luggage through Tokyo! :)

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
Maebashi, figures. Everyone's there or Takasaki... or in Isesaki, ew.

You know there's a bus directly from Narita to Maebashi Station, right? Takes about 2 hours IIRC, but beats carrying your luggage through Tokyo! :)

Yup, but going from Austin, TX to Narita is quite the hike so Asakusa is a great stop to take a day :) They have a Skyliner from the airport that gets us there in about 35 min. I used to go directly to Yokosuka via the Y-Cat bus that was another 2 hours and I'd be dead tired by the time I arrived.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
Yup, but going from Austin, TX to Narita is quite the hike so Asakusa is a great stop to take a day :) They have a Skyliner from the airport that gets us there in about 35 min. I used to go directly to Yokosuka via the Y-Cat bus that was another 2 hours and I'd be dead tired by the time I arrived.

Ahh, gotcha. I always hated spending a night somewhere other than home, so the bus was snooze time for me.

Asakusa is so crowded nowadays; I hate to think of what it'll be like around the Olympics. I commute via the Asakusa Line and there are ALWAYS a ton of tourists trying to cram onto the train at rush hour with three suitcases apiece.

neville

14/3/17
If you can't make it into Tokyo (where the food is much better :) I'm close to both Shiki Station (Tobu-Tojo line) and Niiza station (Musashino line) and could pick you up at either, preferably some mid-afternoon when the eating places are less busy and noisy. As for your watches, maybe you could send me details but I should warn you that there aren't many I'm looking for at the moment.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
@neville Oh, I wasn't looking to sell -- just thought that if you were around Tokorozawa, I could pick them up and then meet you at some point.

I'm actually in Tokyo; Katsushika-ku is a little north of where the Sky Tree is. Meeting in Tokyo is fine for me -- which major station is best for you?

neville

14/3/17
Since this is getting a bit involved I'd prefer to switch to PMs and will send a fuller reply that way.

R&R_in_Tokyo

12/1/17
Wow, I didn't realize there were this many board members here in Japan, much less close to Tokyo!

If anyone is down to grab a bite to eat and what not let me know - I too enjoy getting to know new people.

By the way, do any of our esteemed members here in Tokyo know of a good watch smith that services replicas in Tokyo?
I've found a couple in Kansai, and there's even a blogger that'll service 7750 movements for 22000 JPY, but I was hoping to find someone closer.

neville

14/3/17
Wow, I didn't realize there were this many board members here in Japan, much less close to Tokyo!

If anyone is down to grab a bite to eat and what not let me know - I too enjoy getting to know new people.

By the way, do any of our esteemed members here in Tokyo know of a good watch smith that services replicas in Tokyo?
I've found a couple in Kansai, and there's even a blogger that'll service 7750 movements for 22000 JPY, but I was hoping to find someone closer.

Hi:

Since I'm a noob I can't help with the watch smith problem and don't really know how many members there are in the Tokyo area, but I get the impression that - besides us - there are only another two or three. BTW - where exactly are you located? I'm in Niiza, Saitama, just outside Tokyo proper on the Tobu-Tojo line and go shopping in Tokyo every Sunday..

atgm

Patron
21/11/15

check out ??????? in Tokorozawa; he'll do almost anything you ask, but his rep knowledge isn't great because almost all he sees is low-end stuff. Recentering my 7750 second hand so that it didn't slip was 13000 yen, waterproofing my reg 21j smp was 10000. Asked how many atm it was good to and he didn't know what I was talking about.

There's also ????? next to JR Koiwa, they will work on stuff but no guarantees. They pulled dust out of my portuguese 7 days.

R&R_in_Tokyo

12/1/17
check out ??????? in Tokorozawa; he'll do almost anything you ask, but his rep knowledge isn't great because almost all he sees is low-end stuff. Recentering my 7750 second hand so that it didn't slip was 13000 yen, waterproofing my reg 21j smp was 10000. Asked how many atm it was good to and he didn't know what I was talking about.

There's also ????? next to JR Koiwa, they will work on stuff but no guarantees. They pulled dust out of my portuguese 7 days.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips :)
I just spoke on the phone with a guy in Saitama that will service reps, and he wanted 35,000, and an understanding that he might break the movement due to the finicky nature of the 7750 movement. Somehow I get the feeling that there aren't too many people out here in Japan that'll service the 7750.

I might send my Navi world to the guy you mentioned in Koiwa.

Fwiw here's the blogger that said he'll service 7750 watches, but you have to mail it to him -

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/nariaki_shimizu

@neville
I'm located around Mejiro, so anywhere on the Yamanote is a stone's throw away.

Actually I'm only a 7 min walk from Ikebukuro station as well, so probably have run into you at some point :)

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
Another problem with watch shops here is that a lot of the "copy watches" that make it to Japan are pretty low quality, so the watch shops who deal with them are used to seeing that kind of thing and demand a higher premium.

I really wish I could find a place in-country that can do 2x AR; as nice as ProfSteve's stuff is, it's a real pain sending stuff there/back.

Edit: one thing that's annoyed me a bit about the guy in Saitama (Suishodo in Tokorozawa) is that he cited ~7000 yen for waterproofing the SMP I gave him... and then without telling me, he spent a ton of time on it to get it done and upped that to 13000. At that point I've paid as much for waterproofing as the rep itself...