• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JLC UTM ZF vs GF v4

satosheth

Horology Curious
6/6/21
I've been digging through the forums (here and elsewhere) and I haven't really seen a good comparison of these two models of the Ultra Thin Moonphase. Does the newest version of the GF fix some of the flaws of the older version to make it superior to the ZF? My understanding was that the GF v2 had a better moon indicator, but most other things were either equal to or better on the ZF. Does v4 change that? Has anyone actually seen the two and compared them? There are also rumors about a cloned A925 in the newer GF models, but the TDs report that it is also an altered Miyota. Thanks for the help!

addingwatch

Known Member
Patron
27/2/07
Just received my GF4 today. It is spectacular. The fit and finish is as good as gen, I am not familiar with the ZF version, but glad I got my GF. Went with the grey faced version, and the weight even feels like it could be white gold.

satosheth

Horology Curious
6/6/21
Just received my GF4 today. It is spectacular. The fit and finish is as good as gen, I am not familiar with the ZF version, but glad I got my GF. Went with the grey faced version, and the weight even feels like it could be white gold.

Thanks for the feedback, I went with the ZF, should be getting it any day now. I'll report back how it was.

Reactions: addingwatch

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20

Can you post pictures please. Especially of the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antek123

Horology Curious
18/8/21
looks great whtat seller? I got mix feelings about my gfv4 from trusty time overal good but index are not perfect straight and litle bit floating, subdail is off. and my miota is very unbalance need to have + 15 s/d flat dial up to give +/- 0 on wrist.

wachnoob007

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/17
Hont, I asked him about the movement he told me to read the forums but I can’t find much info
4770c980f78a364a8b4235356c62d7a6.jpg

wachnoob007

28/9/17
I GL’ed the watch, apparently v2 and v3 had a clone dadong movement but GF factory switched to a citizen movement for the V4 because it was more reliable.

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
Hi does anyone know what's the difference between the GFV3 & V4? I can't seem to find the info.
Also does the GFV4 & ZF have the same movement?

wachnoob007

28/9/17
Like my previous post states, the difference between the v4 and the previous versions is that the v4 uses a more reliable (although not a clone) movement.

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
Thanks for the feedback.
Does anyone know what specific citizen movement it is? From what I can see the TD sites just show a Miyota 9015 (same as ZF)

Does anyone on here have the GF V4 that can comment the reliability?

Last edited:

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
I GL’ed the watch, apparently v2 and v3 had a clone dadong movement but GF factory switched to a citizen movement for the V4 because it was more reliable.

Where did you get the info the V4 is a citizen movement? Just trying to understand, as on the Trusty website it's showing as a Miyota 9015 (same as ZF). The title also includes the MY9015 code, https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=23130.

I can't find a single other reference to a citizen movement...

ric88

13/11/21
Reactions: germanherman

stuxnet

31/3/21
Like my previous post states, the difference between the v4 and the previous versions is that the v4 uses a more reliable (although not a clone) movement.

Miyota is owned by Citizen. It is using a Miyota 9015 movement which is a reliable movement.

Interesting. I've just had confirmation from TD that GF V4 uses a Dandong clone. Would it be possible that GF uses both Miyota and clone movements in their last V4 batch ? What about the reliability of those clone movements ?

giangvhnguyen

Looking Around
MULTI ACCOUNT
25/4/22
I'm about to get the MUT, but what makes me still hesitate are the flaw of the number on the moonphase ring and the JLC logo that is printed. Since the number is getting better over time, I could not find any version that actually use the piece of steel for the logo. Does anybody know is there a rep that uses an actual steel logo instead of printing it on the dial?

stuxnet

31/3/21
I could not find any version that actually use the piece of steel for the logo.

You won't find any mate as the steel for the embossed logo on UTMs has been introduced on gen around late 2021 I believe. Earlier gen versions don't have it you can check it out. Current ZF version was released in 2018 and latest GF V4 version early 2021. No doubt future versions will introduce this modification as well as the updated moon disc. Let's wait and see ...

giangvhnguyen

Looking Around
MULTI ACCOUNT
25/4/22
You won't find any mate as the steel for the embossed logo on UTMs has been introduced on gen around late 2021 I believe. Earlier gen versions don't have it you can check it out. Current ZF version was released in 2018 and latest GF V4 version early 2021. No doubt future versions will introduce this modification as well as the updated moon disc. Let's wait and see ...

Yeah, you're right. Only refreshed version of MUT in 2021 has that steel logo