• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JLC Polaris Geographic ZF

immortalchef

10/3/19
Ontario, Canada
Puretime just posted a new release from ZF, the Polaris Geographic. I've been looking for a good worldtimer to add to the collection. It certainly has a high price tag at $538. Waiting for this to show up on Trusty and any videos of how the movement works. Wonder how many of the complications work.

Puretime claims it has functioning power reserve, second-time zone and date display. What do you think? The blue texture dial looks great, the gen has a similar texture I believe.

Reactions: JLFast and vcappp

huge75

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/12/19
Puretime just posted a new release from ZF, the Polaris Geographic. I've been looking for a good worldtimer to add to the collection. It certainly has a high price tag at $538. Waiting for this to show up on Trusty and any videos of how the movement works. Wonder how many of the complications work.

Puretime claims it has functioning power reserve, second-time zone and date display. What do you think? The blue texture dial looks great, the gen has a similar texture I believe.

Looks nice, looking forward to hearing what people think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drmckenn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
13/11/15
Very tempting. 42 x 10mm according to puretime. 42 x 11.54 mm according to JLC. Dial work looks good at first inspection from the pics. The time zone movement is simple on the gen. Just Rotate the time zone bezel. Love to see a video - this is much more manageable on the wrist than the 44mm geo.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
This is what concerns me right now, the crown to adjust the time zone looks like it's not connected to anything. It may be a dummy crown, hard to say without any videos of the functions.

Hopefully that works. Also the three blue screws for rotor should not be blue. Very nice otherwise.

Reactions: vcappp

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
kobe24 Do you know have any details on this exciting release? Dimensions, working functions etc. Only up on Puretime at the moment.

Reactions: immortalchef

immortalchef

10/3/19
Ontario, Canada
I'm ready to pull the trigger on this watch, just need to confirm if its fully functional first! Been looking up videos on Youku for this watch the last three days, nobody has posted a video on this yet.

Will report back if anything surfaces.

immortalchef

10/3/19
Ontario, Canada
There has been no video so far posted but I may have deduced some of the functions from looking at the pictures from Puretime and Intime based on how the time was set
  • Date subdial at 3 o'clock should be functional using the pusher. It's set to 12th on PT pic and 27th on IT pic
  • Subdial at 6 o'clock is a functioning GMT and can be set independently. The main time is set to 10:10 on both pics but the GMT is showing 8:10 on PT pic and 12:10 on IT
  • Power reserve subdial at 9 o'clock is functional. It's showing beyond 3/4 on IT and 0 on PT pic (probably wasn't wound)
  • The crown to turn the country disc does seem to be functional. The IT pic has Dhaka at the bottom and PT pic has Auckland.
  • The GMT Disc around the country names is potentially be non-functional and frozen. On both PT and IT pic it's showing in the exact same spot between 21 and 22.
Since this watch was a limited release by JLC and they only made 250 pieces of this and there aren't any videos on YouTube for the Gen to see functions. I was looking at other JLC Worldtimers, correct me if I'm wrong it was my impression that the GMT Disc moves with the GMT subdial. I.e. The disc should have shown 8 in the PT or 12 in the IT pic if it indeed was functional?

If the disc is frozen you're left with a GMT watch and a country disc to play with. It won't really be a functional Worldtimer. That's a pretty big blow since it's priced at $538. There are much better GMTs for a lot less, I'm pretty happy with my ARF Rolex GMT Master 2 and it was much less.

Still waiting for videos, what you guys think?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Wonder how many of the complications work.

Puretime claims it has functioning power reserve, second-time zone and date display. What do you think?

Those functions “work” on their other ZF JLC master. So should “work” on this one as well. Maybe not work quite as per gen but that doesn’t bother me.

It’s a lovely looking watch. Let’s wait for more pics as you say.

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/6/14
Interesting piece, from what pictures I can see of the gen on the internet, the texture on the rep dial looks too course. But if everything else works and theres only 250 in circulation, the chances of meeting an owner are slim. JLC’s are my weakness and I’ve got a few gens and have never seen another person wearing one outside of a boutique.

Hopefully somebody will pull the trigger and do a review, I’m really tempted but $538 is lot to fork out for a dog.

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/6/14
Looking at the manual for this watch, this is one hell of a complication. I very much doubt that any factory is going to be able to replicate all of this functionality for this price point.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Looking at the manual for this watch, this is one hell of a complication. I very much doubt that any factory is going to be able to replicate all of this functionality for this price point.

I suspect you’re right but as long as the functions work (ie they move and are not faux) then I am happy. I don’t care if the functionality is exactly same as gen.

On the ZF master geographic, everything works, power reserve, AM/PM ...the city wheel cycles when you push the button, the date can be quick-set using the button...so essentially all the functions “work” but of course they do it work exactly like gen. but then again I have no idea how gen functions should work and nobody i meet knows either. So all good for me

Sent from the RWI App

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/6/14
I think until someone pulls the trigger and actually gets one, we’ll never know. I don’t know whether the dial at six is faux or not or whether the disc with the second time zone works or not. I’m still sat on the fence, so if you get one, please post a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vcappp

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/6/14
I've just watched a video on Trusty's site and it appears that the dial at 6 o'clock mirrors that of the main hour and minute hands, but looking at the pictures on other TD's sites the hands seem to be set independently, are there 2 versions of this watch?

roadtofreedom

Renowned Member
26/12/18
I've just watched a video on Trusty's site and it appears that the dial at 6 o'clock mirrors that of the main hour and minute hands, but looking at the pictures on other TD's sites the hands seem to be set independently, are there 2 versions of this watch?

link, please?

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
This one is a stunner.... i would too wait until somebody has it in hand and can post a review.