• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

James Bond rolex dial

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Have you handled any of Phongs dials? If so, how do they compare to Ruby and MQ? His prices seem to be in between those of other two.

No I didn't touch any phong, I just got Ruby, MQ, Gen and the "one that cannot be mentioned"....Overall, the best graphics are from "the one that cannot be mentioned" but the best finish and color and lume is from MQ.
(gilt gen I had in hands were too damaged to be taken onto account)... Gilt gloss MQ are really stunning pieces irl....

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf

Steve1111

Supporter
3/2/21
New Jersey
I saw these hands on ebay also. little confused. length seems correct. but they look like curved hands not flat. 1958 era is flat.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
No I didn't touch any phong, I just got Ruby, MQ, Gen and the "one that cannot be mentioned"....Overall, the best graphics are from "the one that cannot be mentioned" but the best finish and color and lume is from MQ.
(gilt gen I had in hands were too damaged to be taken onto account)... Gilt gloss MQ are really stunning pieces irl....
did you had the opportunity to make some close up pics of some Ivan's dial while having in hands ?
and if you had would post some ?
it's always a stunning experience to see the crispy details and the depth of the negative gilt ...

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
unfortunately I don't have any decent camera for close ups :-( but the quality of the details are better on Ivan's, even compare to gen.....
Also the texture looks to be made as it was in the 50ies, less glossy more texture ....

Overalll the finish of the dials (considering Ivan and MQ are less than 5years old of course) would be its follow
Ruby not invited at this table IMO.

MQ best glossy best color, best brownish under the sun best finish (the less expensive)
Ivan best font, best texture, it looks like a 50 years old varnish, the most dynamic in light reflection, poor luming, it is basically a gen gilt dial if well lumed (the most expensive).
Gen, poor glossy quality poor texture compare to the two above mentioned nice natural cream patina....

Reactions: Bubbe Back1

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
please note Ivan's photo is taken through the crystal the other two without crystal ....
please note (if you like gilt and oldies), that any gen white printing can hardly compete with light reflexion which is like magic on the gilts when sunlight is hitting the dial surface ...

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
thanks Erinoush ... those pics are just WOW !!!

UrFasionista

Known Member
13/10/21
The Earth
so I bought the dial from Minh, and the watch maker, who is an expert of 30 years+, says the dial is 0.36mm too large for my 5508.
I just emailed Minh to ask to return the dial, but can anyone tell me why it would be too large?
The listing said it would fit my watch and the correct movement, which I have.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
so I bought the dial from Minh, and the watch maker, who is an expert of 30 years+, says the dial is 0.36mm too large for my 5508.
I just emailed Minh to ask to return the dial, but can anyone tell me why it would be too large?
The listing said it would fit my watch and the correct movement, which I have.

You should ask your watchmaker to be more precise ... he should tell you if the dial is too large :
1 - in relation to the dial seat only
2 - in relation of the rehaut opening only
3 - in relation of both dial seat and rehaut opening
Hre's a pic to explain what I mean ...

If the answer is "1" ... which implies that the dial is correct in relation to the rehaut opening ... then there a way to solve the problem
a qualified watchmaker can easily reduce the dial by gently sanding it down and reduce the overall diameter ...

If the answer is "2" ... which means the "swiss" printing at 6:00 will be at least partly hidden and the chapter ring diameter will be too large to fit the length of a genspecs minutes hand ... then it's a dead end
if your case was a Rep you could ask your watchmaker to enlarge the rehaut opening by 0.36mm but your case is Gen if I'm true so you'd better not even think about doing that

If the answer is "3" ... dead end again

UrFasionista

Known Member
13/10/21
The Earth
I posted this is another thread but thought I should update this one since I'm the OP
I ordered a dial from Minh Quy for my rolex 5508 sub. The Dial he sent me is the wrong size, has the wrong feet, and is overall just wrong. I asked for a refund, he said no and he will send me the correct dial. I don't want his replacement dial as the first one he sent me is garbage and I don't want to go through this again.

I would not recommend MQ for any reason. Garbage dial, even worse customer service.

Reactions: 369mafia

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I posted this is another thread but thought I should update this one since I'm the OP
I ordered a dial from Minh Quy for my rolex 5508 sub. The Dial he sent me is the wrong size, has the wrong feet, and is overall just wrong. I asked for a refund, he said no and he will send me the correct dial. I don't want his replacement dial as the first one he sent me is garbage and I don't want to go through this again.

I would not recommend MQ for any reason. Garbage dial, even worse customer service.

Hope you'll find an agreement with MQ ... or that the replacement dial will be OK
Just keep us informed ...

EDIT :
Last week I've been happy enough to have a close look at a gilt dial made by Ivan and WOW ... Ivan's dials are really something else ...,crispyness and quality are amazing ...
If I achieve someday to print a dial just half as good I will be pretty proud ;)

Last edited:

UrFasionista

Known Member
13/10/21
The Earth
Minh sent a picture of this tropical dial and said he wants to send me this dial as a replacement for the first one.
I don’t know if my 5508 should be a tropical dial though. Any thoughts on this one?

keep in mind the first dial wasn’t even close to the right size and had feet that were way off too.

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Minh sent a picture of this tropical dial and said he wants to send me this dial as a replacement for the first one.
I don’t know if my 5508 should be a tropical dial though. Any thoughts on this one?

keep in mind the first dial wasn’t even close to the right size and had feet that were way off too.
zaxXeW.jpg
zaxdrS.jpg

looks good to me, as long as you like the brownish style....
At least it seem to be very well lumed....

Can you show a photo of the first three digits of the case between the lug at 6:00 ?

Last edited: