• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

James Bond rolex dial

UrFasionista

Known Member
13/10/21
The Earth
I have this 1958 rolex 5508 with the wrong dial. Apparently it was serviced in the 90s and someone replaced the dial.
Can anyone tell me where I can look to find the correct I’ll even if it is a rep?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Really nice watch :)
but definitely wrong dial ... and the handset is a service one and neither consistent too :(

IMHO it deserves something like this ;)

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
What Rolex does (well will do, unless you insist on a calibre only service) to vintage watches makes me want to cry.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
What Rolex does (well will do, unless you insist on a calibre only service) to vintage watches makes me want to cry.

me too :p

A lady friend of mine (not my GF) owns a full gold 6917 from the early 80ies ... a wedding gift
Last year she brought it to a Rolex AD in Lyon (France) for service ... and she asked them to add 1 spare link she had aside (aging often means gaining some weight)
She waited for 6 months to have it back ... with a service dial :(
So she paid an extra fee for this and her watch has loosen around 20% of its original value
Cherry on the cake ... the guys polished the bracelet BEFORE putting the new extra link on ... now you can see that extra link from a thousand meters :billy:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
me too :p

A lady friend of mine (not my GF) owns a full gold 6917 from the early 80ies ... a wedding gift
Last year she brought it to a Rolex AD in Lyon (France) for service ... and she asked them to add 1 spare link she had aside (aging often means gaining some weight)
She waited for 6 months to have it back ... with a service dial :(
So she paid an extra fee for this and her watch has loosen around 20% of its original value
Cherry on the cake ... the guys polished the bracelet BEFORE putting the new extra link on ... now you can see that extra link from a thousand meters :billy:

God, these kind of stories are depressing, and so often heard. I could barely bring myself to click "like" on your post manodeoro - it's just too damn sad.

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
I have this 1958 rolex 5508 with the wrong dial. Apparently it was serviced in the 90s and someone replaced the dial.
Can anyone tell me where I can look to find the correct I’ll even if it is a rep?

MQ will certainly have something matching and somehow very decent. if the watch is genuine it deserves the invest. What was done to this watch (dial hand, bezel pearl) is a shame ...
normally the movement should be a 1530 or same family, you can source some genuine hands to relume (on the web by digging left and right) ....

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
And eventually specify your case.takes a 27 mm while HR makes them in 29 mm.

If the case is really gen (and I can't tell from the front pic only) , I suggest you stick with Minh Quy

UrFasionista

Known Member
13/10/21
The Earth
And eventually specify your case.takes a 27 mm while HR makes them in 29 mm.

If the case is really gen (and I can't tell from the front pic only) , I suggest you stick with Minh Quy

Thanks so much for the advice. I've never heard of MQ. Does he make rep dials or sell gens?
Mine is probably gen because it's been in my safe for 30 years. Here are some photos of the movement.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I've always found that the trouble with asking advice here is everyone expects complete novices to the world of replicas to get out there and find it all out for themselves. Minh Quy's site is here (it's not one you're likely to just stumble upon!):

http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy...ategory_id=146&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

He supplies very high quality "refinished" dials and replica dials to gen size/spec as they're often made using original blanks.

Reactions: chrome72

UrFasionista

Known Member
13/10/21
The Earth
I've always found that the trouble with asking advice here is everyone expects complete novices to the world of replicas to get out there and find it all out for themselves. Minh Quy's site is here (it's not one you're likely to just stumble upon!):

http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy...ategory_id=146&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

He supplies very high quality "refinished" dials and replica dials to gen size/spec as they're often made using original blanks.

Thanks so much. I’m laughing because that’s exactly what I was thinking- you can barely ask a question here without feeling like a child, even though everybody on here is a grown ass man.
Thanks so much for the link I found the dial I would need for the 5508 and sent him a request for a price.

I really appreciate your help.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Thanks so much. I’m laughing because that’s exactly what I was thinking- you can barely ask a question here without feeling like a child, even though everybody on here is a grown ass man.
Thanks so much for the link I found the dial I would need for the 5508 and sent him a request for a price.

Is not about being a "grown ass man" (we could also have ladies here), we are just sick of new members asking the same questions Vs a simple task of using the search bar.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: 369mafia

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK

Excellent, great to hear and glad to have helped. Really looking forward to seeing the transformation. You might also find that Minh can do you a set of vintaged hands with lume to match the dial.

Reactions: UrFasionista

UrFasionista

Known Member
13/10/21
The Earth
Excellent, great to hear and glad to have helped. Really looking forward to seeing the transformation. You might also find that Minh can do you a set of vintaged hands with lume to match the dial.

Can you give me your opinion on getting this dial from MQ, for $550.
with these hands, for $450
and with this bezel and insert? Price not yet known.

Will everything be pretty close to correct for my 5508?

Then I just have to find someone to install everything.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The 100 m = 330 ft dial with silver printed depth rating is correct for a 1958 watch. The Submariner and depth rating fonts look a little over-sized and the spacing of the two lines is a bit too close. But there were a range of dial variations for the 6538 in this period - and there was a 4 line 200m COSC dial in '58 too. So overall it looks the part.

The hands don't look great (to my amateur eye) - the seconds hand doesn't have a tapered point section, and the Mercedes spokes look too thick. But they'd be an improvement on the shiny service hands.

That insert looks the biz.

My knowledge is very limited, and comes mainly from poring over the Mondani/Ravagnani Submariner Story, and reproducing dials in vector format for use in repro gilt dial projects. but there are far more well-trained eyes around here who will have additional, more authoritative opinions and suggestions.

Motorhead13

Horology Curious
11/10/21
Ruby has some nice 5508 dials in stock. Will save you a few hundred bucks also.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Ruby has some nice 5508 dials in stock. Will save you a few hundred bucks also.

They do look good. The 5508 dial would also be appropriate for the 1958 model year. I don't know how the quality of Ruby compares directly with MQ as I haven't had either in hand. I have had a couple of exotic Paul Newman dials from Ruby and they were really very good.

UrFasionista you'll need a password to log into Ruby's site. Here's a link to the site: http://rubyswatch.com/

http://rubyswatch.com/Products/parts/sub-5508

I'll PM you the password.