• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC Top Gun : swapping to Prof's 2xAR crystal

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Hi to all,

IWC's pilot watches are some of these models that Prof's 2xAR crystals get to another level. Browsing through the forum I could'nt really find an easy step-by-step process, so I figured I would document my crystal swap.

Please remind I'm no watchsmith nor a modder. I'm just practising skills here on a quite easy procedure that may be of interest for many of us.

I may be wrong at some point or there may be better ways to perform this, so feel free to comment or give hints, thank you all.

So I just received a 37.5 mm wide 2xAR from Prof last week, according to the size of one of my favorite rep as today : the ZF 3880-07 Top Gun, let's swap crystals then...

Actually the ZF basic crystal is not that bad, but it's still kind of dazy. Looking at the reflection compared to Prof's shows an obvious difference between the 2 :

Once the watch is opened and movement removed, it's time to remove the old crystal by pushing it inside out of the case.
I chose a 34mm dye to push the crystal, a 48mm to hold the case on the other side.

I use a vertical screw-in crystal press, it allows a good straight pressure for placing or removing crystals. Those can be found for about 80€ on marketplaces.
The case is placed upside down so I can press the crystal out easily.

The gasket is in good conditions here.

Comparing the crystals'reflection : original on left, Prof's on right. Needs no more comments, Prof's is on another quality level.

It's time to place Prof's crystal on the case. I use a 36mm dye, place a lense cloth on the crystal and screw on the press, while making sure the case remains evenly horizontal. Press tight, but don't force it.

Prof's crystal is in, and now the dial pops as no glass was there at all. Definitely a stunning upgrade any IWC enthusiast should get. Enjoy!

Last edited:

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Nice explanation and great work on the swap! Prof’s 2xAR crystal looks so good - I can’t even tell it’s there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Thank you all. It's crazy how the visual differences with Prof's are really showing when you have a chance to hold both types in hands. His beveled edges of are much nicer too.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
Those last few pictures are remarkable, the new crystal is all but invisible. Thanks for the writeup!

Reactions: mrsullivan

Quinto

18/10/20
Perfect crystal ;)

Where can I find prof’s crystal please?

Thank’s

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Perfect crystal ;)

Where can I find prof’s crystal please?

Thank’s
You can contact him by PM here on the forum, you'll find his section under "Prof's crystals" in the Supporting Vendors area.

Reactions: Quinto

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
Here some pics of my iwc's with prof.
The crystal makes all the difference.
It really does look better than the gen.
b3bea932b99a611192199afb48334e08.jpg
5b7ee26748db39e8361996567d67a3c7.jpg
6c0eb85ecbf0d8ca613f6dfaad1163d3.jpg

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Prof's xstals are really the best option for those wide IWC dials, with their big textured subdials and hands.

Amazingly they do look better than gen ;-)

Reactions: merowinger