• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC 8-Day Mechanical Handwind - 2 quick ones

platnumn

1/12/11
Just wanted to share 2 quick pictures of my IWC 8-Day Mechanical Handwind ref5101.

I wanted this watch from the first time I saw it. While it may look dressy at first glance, it actually goes really well with anything you wear as it has a big, bold face and the red from the power reserve catches the eye ever so slightly.

he flagship of the Portofino family with its newly developed IWC-manufactured 59210-calibre movement will run precisely and reliably for a full 192 hours, or 8 days, before it automatically stops. The indexless balance has a frequency of 28,800 beats per hour and, together with the Breguet spring bent into shape in accordance with ancient watchmaking tradition, helps to make the watch so accurate. Actually, it would be nine days, but it is mechanically stopped before all the tension in the spring is exhausted, eliminating the effect of reduced torque in the mainspring as it winds down. This ensures greater precision the whole time the watch is running.

This alligator strap has been manufactured by Santoni, famous for its fine shoes. Santoni is known for its flaming and colouring technique, which results in a shoe with the perfect patina. Same goes for the alligator straps for the Portofino. The strap has started to break in, but man was it stiff when I first received it! I was told that no 2 straps will have the exact same patina, and it will change and develop as it is worn.

Thanks!

ianm

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/10
Stunning looking. The strap works perfectly.......very nice.

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Beautiful piece and great combo with that strap! Wear it well!