• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep vs genuine to wear, not a collector

Tayste

Horology Curious
15/8/15
Hello, I am new here on the forum, curiosity brought me here. I want a watch (I don't currently have one) and I am looking for some opinions on the matter of replica vs genuine.

The reason for this is because once I decided which watch I wanted, I was concerned at how expensive it was. Which is how I ended up on this forum. But I am torn...

I am not a watch collector, I just want a watch to wear. The watch I have settled on is expensive. I could buy it, but it would take a huge chunk out of the money I have. I can't decide whether to buy it, or to try get a replica for much less money... my concern is... would I feel bad if I knew my watch was a fake???

Do you feel bad wearing a replica watch?

Do you look at it, knowing it isn't real, and have any negative feelings about it?

What about the build quality? I'm assuming the build quality tends to be good? Otherwise you guys wouldn't bother, nobody would!

Surely if you ever felt regret at the cost of your genuine, you could sell it for about the same as you bought it for?

I can see pros and cons for both, but interested to hear some opinions to help me with my decisions on this...

Thanks

NateOC

Known Member
10/6/13
In my opinion you should always buy the rep to try on for a couple of weeks. Then you'll know if you like the gen enough, and maybe you'll think the rep is good enough. Personally, I only buy gens when there are no good reps of those gens. Or if I like the watch enough to justify buying the gen.

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
This a huge topic on this forum that is addressed by so many threads that I've lost count. Best thing is to do plenty of research. Read around here for a little while before you pull the trigger. There is such a huge variety of reps in terms of prices and quality that means ultimately you need to decide what's most important to you in order to make a choice. Bottom line is that the only way to make that an informed choice is to learn more about this hobby and I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer.

D

d4m.test

+1 Joe

best thing to do OP is do some research on the rep you want, buy it and see if you like it. If the rep is good enough maybe you will keep it, or maybe you will be moved to buy the gen, or get/keep both!

Also so good luck on just getting 1 watch ;)

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Just remember a rep is for looks and it will never replicate a gen in terms of quality. If quality is important to you and you plan to keep the watch long term and you can afford to buy the gen then do it. If the watch isn't all that important to you but wearing the name brand is then get the rep of what you like.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
In my opinion you should always buy the rep to try on for a couple of weeks. Then you'll know if you like the gen enough, and maybe you'll think the rep is good enough. Personally, I only buy gens when there are no good reps of those gens. Or if I like the watch enough to justify buying the gen.

so true, I would have been so disappointed with a real 16610 LN. I now have a TC 16610 LN and thats good enough. Through this forum my eyes have been open and I have learned to appreciate the wrist watch at a higher level.

D

d4m.test

IF You choose well and spend Your $300 or $400 it will look good and most probably work well. Should something be wrong, figure in another $200 to have it fixed and bought up to spec right from the beginning. That´s about it. Keep the expectations low and the reward will be high. Just do it, sooner or later You will have to try and the right time is now.
What watch are You interested in?, not all are well repped.

seand83

17/7/14
Reps are the best way to go when looking into buying the real thing. Get the rep spend some time with it then pull the trigger on the real one if you want.

J___

M2M Stalker
Patron
Certified
3/7/14
Disclosing which watch you're looking for in particular would also help a lot.

alfajor

26/6/15
Conus
I dont feel bad at all wearing a rep, none of my friends had ever asked me though, They know I am into watches and assume I have the real thing lol.
As others said, it all falls on the watch you are considering, for example : I only buy Panerai and AP reps, Panerai are so darn good that I wouldnt bother getting a gen and I dont justify or cant afford the pile of cash to get an AP, they are also very well made and I really like their design.
On the other hand, I love Rolex watches but even the modded reps I had did nothing for me, nada, zilch... Now I have a couple of genuine Rolex that plan to keep forever, and if I don't, I can always sell them with a minimal loss, Rolex is the most sought-after brand in the second hand market.
Breitlings are one of my favs too, I have a nice used Colt that cost me a bit more than a modded rep, so Breit reps are a no go.
But hey, thats just me.

FPelaez05

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/7/15
+1 Joe

best thing to do OP is do some research on the rep you want, buy it and see if you like it. If the rep is good enough maybe you will keep it, or maybe you will be moved to buy the gen, or get/keep both!

Also so good luck on just getting 1 watch ;)

ahhahahhahaha 1!!
Heard that story looooooooooonggggg time ago!

Tayste

Horology Curious
15/8/15
Hey guys thanks for the advice and sharing your own feelings on the subject. I have been away and just got back. To answer some of the questions, yes it was a Panerai I was looking into. Pam210. But since I started this thread I've been looking at loads of other brands and now I just don't know! Haha. Back to square 1. I will keep looking ;)

gackt13

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/8/14
Hahah sorry to say this.... when I see people wearing Panerai I automatically assume it's a fake.