• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it true, that rolex service changes parts of your gen Watch?

chiefcptluxe

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/18
I have also a gen rolex
i send it in for service
had a bad scratch on the crown
they changed it!

lezec

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/4/18
Sydney
And not just Rolex. I got recently serviced my Hamilton Khaki X-Wind Limited Edition black via Swiss Group and got changed crown, hands, crystal and refinished all black casing (no more scratches) I was very happy with the service but that's on the modern watches. No value lost.

RB-Fan

27/6/18
Not just Rolex - we sent my Dad's Omega Semaster ( 60s ) to have a service and came back fully "restored"! Even the dial was changed. He was not happy as it had a lot of sentimental value, but too late!

JON.GRANT

Horology Curious
3/12/18
USA
Was told anything done to your watch after it left the factory originally, will be put back the way it was when the watch was made ????

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Doikk

10/12/17
Very useful post, thank you for the information. :)

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
You have to read the service scope and inclusions before you send them your watch.

Some manufacturers swap out hands, crown, crystal as part of the included cost of service. You have to specify if you do not want them changing. They will give you a quotation to swap out the required parts that are not on the “included” list.

Ginney91

18/12/18
In the eyes of Rolex, they don't care about the "value" of the watch from a reselling perspective. They care that the customer has the most reliable watch with their logo on it. If it comes in and parts are obsolete or worn, they will change them to prevent your watch breaking in the future. Call it preventative maintenance. That way, the owner who invested in the Rolex brand gets many generations of reliable timekeeping.

Just my two cents

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
My AD is also a RSC and they would 100% follow any customers wishes for keeping the original parts. If your AD isn't also a RSC then you'd probably be better of finding a different place.

bobo383

9/6/19
My AD is also a RSC and they would 100% follow any customers wishes for keeping the original parts. If your AD isn't also a RSC then you'd probably be better of finding a different place.

Same here. I wanted to keep the old freckled champagne dial in my 1969 Datejust 1601 because it was my grandfather’s watch, he bought it new, and that’s the way I want to see it when I look at it. They honored that request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
Many years ago it was really, now probably they are most concerned.
I have an original 7206 band, 1675 and 1680 bezel, cornino gilt dial, all original and changed during services with new parts. They sent back parts.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

FRNOOB

30/12/19
Rolex assassine son patrimoine horloger, un ami en a fait les frais avec une Sub Comex ... insert + aiguille remplacer, la montre à perdu la moitié de ça valeur !!!

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
In the eyes of Rolex, they don't care about the "value" of the watch from a reselling perspective. They care that the customer has the most reliable watch with their logo on it. If it comes in and parts are obsolete or worn, they will change them to prevent your watch breaking in the future. Call it preventative maintenance. That way, the owner who invested in the Rolex brand gets many generations of reliable timekeeping.

Just my two cents

Fully agree with this. From Rolex's perspective, they gain nothing from an old watch being resold at a (much) higher cost because of its vintage. As far as they're concerned, they are making sure their watches run correctly, they don't care about anyones personal sentiment.

One can gripe all one wants but the bottom line is, their reputation for reliability is what matters and this is partly why they have become the most famous mechanical watch brand in the world. I don't agree they have bad business practise at all as it's self-evident they are the most successful company on the planet when it comes to luxury watch sales.

Starvin48

18/11/19
Thank you all for this thread. I just purchased my first gen Submariner, so it will take a while for it to be considered vintage. I will make a note for my son or grandson to be wary of this!

Reactions: ron99

AndreMartin

Looking Around
1/6/21
Dear all what is best thing to do to sell replica watches? I have some of high quality which I do not wear, Patek , Rolex Cellini, JLC Reverso. Regards Andre

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Fandango

18/4/18
Undortunately they do. I have a vintage Rolex and they would have messed it up if I had it taken to their repair centre.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Undortunately they do. I have a vintage Rolex and they would have messed it up if I had it taken to their repair centre.

They will ask first before swapping in (for example) new hands/dial etc. These items are not included in the standard service price....so they won’t just swap them in unless you’ve OK’d the extra cash for the changes they recommend....at least that’s how it works when dealing through RSC U.K.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Having said that they might refuse to service a watch with crumbling tritium dial/hands ... where the owner refuses to change them to service luminova parts. In this case, they’ll send it back to you. But what they won’t do, is decide to swap in a new dial/hands combo without asking the buyer to accept the additional costs. Think something like this happened to a couple of members some years back and it’s become a rumour on the internet that Rolex will chuck in a service dial (worth 1000us) without asking the owner first

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Last edited:

Cloudsnew1

Known Member
16/7/21
Canada
Yes, I've had my insert and perfectly lumed hands on my gen 16800 changed out by Rolex RSC in Toronto. THat significantly impacts the value of my watch to the tune of - 1.5-2.5k

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Yes, I've had my insert and perfectly lumed hands on my gen 16800 changed out by Rolex RSC in Toronto. THat significantly impacts the value of my watch to the tune of - 1.5-2.5k

Didn’t they give you a price breakdown after inspecting your watch?

They wanted an extra £250 to swap the insert on my 1665 and I said no. They don’t normally just swap in parts for free without asking and giving you the price. Surprised you got a free insert and hands included in the basic service price.

Cloudsnew1

Known Member
16/7/21
Canada
Didn’t they give you a price breakdown after inspecting your watch?

They wanted an extra £250 to swap the insert on my 1665 and I said no. They don’t normally just swap in parts for free without asking and giving you the price. Surprised you got a free insert and hands included in the basic service price.

They didn't provide a cost breakdown up front. I had to still pay after the fact. I also had to pay 30% of the bezel insert they replaced to get it back.

All in all, it was thivery at its best and hopefully that policy has changed since then.