• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Two Vintage Builds...

daevildog

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/4/10
Two contemporary models given the vintage treatment... My first foray into Rolex homage builds...but definitely not my last!!!

Specs:

A. 43mm Rolex Build
-Cartel DSSD - Reshaped
-WatchLume Vintage Lume
-Tamiya Flat Clear (TS-80)
-Testor's Glosscote Lacquer
-Dremel, Needle Files, 600 and 1200 grit Sandpaper
-Bleached Bezel Insert (20 min)
-Vintage Pearl
-Seconds hand Removed

DSC_0253.jpg

B. 47mm PAM Submersible Vintage Build
-Cartel 47mm Auto PAM Submersible (Asian 21J) -Refinished with Light Polished Finish
-Athaya's 36mm RP 8GB Dial - Painted/Lumed/Wax Filled by me
-WatchLume Gmax and Vintage Lume Blend used (2:1)
-Repainted and Modded Cartel Hands set
-Vintage Pearl with Jeweler's Epoxy and Vintage Lume
-Drill Lugs and Lug Bars
-Ammo Strap by Antiquewatchstraps

DSC_0251.jpg

Relatively easy, yet rewarding builds... started planning new and improved Vintage DSSD Build 2.0...

Here are some pictures:
DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

Thanks for reading...

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
The deep sea looks stunning mate. Quite like it with the shaved CG. Good work. I might do one of those myself :)

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I'm no purist, and I absolutely love the DSSD! With the shaved crown guards it reminds me of a 5510 on steriods. I particularly like that you removed the seconds hand. I have seen a few DSSDs used as the basis of vintage projects and I think I want to try one myself. It seems about the only way to get a vintage-style Rolex in a modern (larger) case size. I have a couple questions if you don't mind:

I've read the bezel is tough to remove on these, care to share your method?

Can you tell us the specifics of the crystal (size, model, etc.)?

Many thanks!

daevildog

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/4/10
I'm no purist, and I absolutely love the DSSD! With the shaved crown guards it reminds me of a 5510 on steriods. I particularly like that you removed the seconds hand. I have seen a few DSSDs used as the basis of vintage projects and I think I want to try one myself. It seems about the only way to get a vintage-style Rolex in a modern (larger) case size. I have a couple questions if you don't mind:

I've read the bezel is tough to remove on these, care to share your method?

Can you tell us the specifics of the crystal (size, model, etc.)?

Many thanks!

Didn't remove bezel with reshape, just taped it up with masking tape to protect it.

Used G-S Extra Hi-Dome XHD Plexi, Size 29.... installed with use of original Plexi and crystal cement.

D

d4m.test

daevildog Good show! nice work , great photos too!

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Didn't remove bezel with reshape, just taped it up with masking tape to protect it.

Used G-S Extra Hi-Dome XHD Plexi, Size 29.... installed with use of original Plexi and crystal cement.

Thanks for the info. The bezel is the only thing that scares me on those. Again, very nice work on both watches.