• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I'm in love - can't stop looking at it

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Abracadabra, Alakazam,
WatchWizard Natas made me an awesome PAM

This is a tale of awesomeness featuring Natas78 & yours truly;)

I'll set the scene......
It was a cold Winter night & after a fun night out with my lady, we got onto the topic of watches, which can go one of two ways in my experience.

"You have too many" or "what's next on the hit list & why"

Always 50/50 & tonight started out a little iffy with her 1st question....

Mrs Me:
'When do you think your watch collection is gonna finally be complete?'

Me (gauging her mood, whilst topping up her glass generously):
"I missed out on a few recently so we will see what happens in 2022"

Mrs Me:
Why don't you just get someone to build what you want, consider it an early xmas present? You're always telling me that new site is full of Watch Gods, so prove it....

Me:
As the legend below would proclaim confidently
jMzID1.gif

The night is saved & I thought to myself that these women of ours certainly pick their moments to show us why they deserve the title of our better halves :p

I had an idea what I wanted, so fired off a quick PM, wondering if the man himself would be willing to take a commission from a huge fan. After seeing his watches pop up a few times on M2M, I always thought I'd nab one at some point.

My build concept was as random as follows:
"A 604 (or 672) with the surrounding engravings
(like Plaasbaas nabbed)
But also would love to have a white dial,
with the type of crazy dotted lume on JayBee0815's
but with the octopus on it too"

I can just imagine his eyes rolling when he got my PM :facepalm:

We firmed up some details though and I left him to work his wizardry, which resulted in the below hybrid, delivered yesterday in an awesome box, bombproof.
jMzBs5.jpg

Natas is an absolute gent & anybody who has dealt with him knows this. Flawless communication & while he was working away on the above I actually picked up another of his original creations with the Khanjar dial, but that one will remain in an undisclosed location till mid-year though (slow n steady with the missus)

Watches, to me, are supposed to enjoyed for their visual beauty on the wrist, and if that watch happens to be a rep, so be it. To me, they are jewellery that happen to tell the time and evoke a memory.

This one now tells a story. A story of a crazy idea, brought to fruition by a master of his craft.

Let's not kid ourselves, whilst it is always nice knowing how accurate they are to the GEN they're replicating, any variances don't really bother me, if a watch catches my eye, that's that.

But this one is just WOW, it definitely will NOT be a box queen and the added bonus being that I had a very minor part in it's creation is kinda cool too.

This 'one of one' is guaranteed to make me smile every time I look at it, so thank you again & am sure when I get another random thought / idea, you'll be the very first person I PM ;)

Few build pictures below which made the journey all the more special for me:
jMzCX2.webp

jMzPbE.jpg

jMzXUn.jpg

jMzdQ3.jpg

jMzkRs.jpg

jMz4hY.jpg

jMzvZo.jpg

jMzssk.jpg

jMzMnD.jpg

TLDR:
  • Wanted a specific style of watch
  • Missed it/similar ones on M2M a few times
  • Set up an unsuccessful WTB
  • Decided instead to get a souped up hybrid version of it built by the WatchWizard himself.
  • Boom - sorted :thumbsup:

Last edited:

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Oh I am sure true Paneristi are fit to murder me for it, but :p

Reactions: JayBee0815

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Wow! P..DR..D ! Just wow!

What a wonderful and unique build! :thumbsup:

You designed it in your head and Natas78 put it together in real life. Awesome! And such a nice background story, too. Your better half compassionately supporting your hobby (just like mine), how great and lovely is that.

Congrats, my friend, wear it in good health :)

This is a product of your own creativity, one of its kind, combining all the aspects of other models that you like. How cool is that. Makes buying all the other popular watches, available in the thousands (and mostly sought after as close to gen as possible) almost boring lol :)

Great piece. Not trying to mimmick a gen for a change. Cool :thumbsup:

Love the blue movement, too (my favourite colour).

There is a place for "the best sub" and a place for "the best PAM". And then above all there is the gift of enjoying a watch for what it is, putting all the nitpicking and comparing to gen models aside. That's what makes this hobby great imho.

Enjoy it and thanks for sharing, beautiful build :)

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Love the blue movement, too (my favourite colour).

Thank you for the kind words my friend, I appreciate the support, always :thumbsup:

Whilst I got major brownie points for the blue movement (as my missus's favourite colour is also blue) full credit goes to The Wizard himself, this was the icing on the cake & when I saw it in the pictures I was blown away :notworthy:

He added blue anodized paint, and with the display caseback, makes both sides very cool, imo anyway ;)

Reactions: Plaasbaas

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Spectacular, well done, I would have one made for me in 47 mm in a heart beat.

If he can make sense of my crazy PMs am sure he can make what you want.

Definitely worth touching base with him anyway, don't think you'll regret it. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Plaasbaas

BlueLineFarmer

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/21

If he can make sense of my crazy PMs am sure he can make what you want.

Definitely worth touching base with him anyway, don't think you'll regret it. :thumbsup:

You did very well with the lume combo.

I recall there was a PAM "piano dial" which I will need to check in to see if your lume combination can be done with a "piano dial".

Reactions: P..DR..D

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
That's really nice watch, but if I may ask, why the octopus logo and not the pig. I mean panerai did have embossed pig on the dial but never policia distato.

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
That's really nice watch, but if I may ask, why the octopus logo and not the pig. I mean panerai did have embossed pig on the dial but never policia distato.

No real reason tbh :eek:hwell:

I recall seeing it on another watch in M2M & liked the look of it.

In my mind, it kinda balances the dial, symmetrically, with the seconds subdial, so wanted to incorporate it into the build.

Wasnt trying to mimic any existing watch, just wanted it visually pleasing - to me :)

Last edited:

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
I agree that the octopus is more esthetically pleasing and cooler than the pig.
That's a great watch you have there... certainly the envy of gen pam collectors

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
Impressive built and design, like all aspect of it.
enjoy and wear it in good health… really don’t think this is going to be the last :bull: