• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What do you think about "Wrapped gold?

hiawatha

Horology Curious
19/1/11
Recently, several factories release "Wrapped gold" 18k or 14k especially 116613 TT Submariners.

Is it real gold contain?

Some dealers say that it contain real gold.So more expensive.

But any dealer has no evidence for it.

What do you think about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Wrapped gold is a thin layer of gold "wrapped" over the steel and then bonded under pressure and heat. This produces a far thicker and therefore more durable coating than plating. It is also referred to as "gold filled". And yes its gold.

hiawatha

Horology Curious
19/1/11
Thanks for your reply.

Real gold?
Any dealer have no evidence.
I think the dealer needs to prove it.

Asmodeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/4/15
No.That's not what "wrapped" meant. "wrapped" is tombac and just kind of coating. "wrap" means any of various brittle alloys containing copper and zinc and sometimes tin and arsenic. Real gold? Any dealer have no evidence.
I think the dealer needs to prove it.

First you ask, then you get an answer, and then you say that answer is wrong and then provide your own answer. Gold wrap is a mistranslated/literal term from chinese to english. English term is gold filled, as trailboss said.

You have to realise you are not paying for the material cost. You are paying for a product. None claimed there is that much of gold there to justify the price difference, however it's a different product with, obviously, higher cost to manufacture than a plain stainless steel watch. Manufacturer cost always multiply when going retail. Also dont forget most retailers/dealers work with percentage, so bigger wholesale price means bigger profit, while using the same percentage multiplier. If you were paying for materials you would be buying genuine rolexes for about 2-3$ .

hiawatha

Horology Curious
19/1/11
I'm so sorry. I'm not good at English.

I'm sorry trailboss.

hiawatha

Horology Curious
19/1/11
First you ask, then you get an answer, and then you say that answer is wrong and then provide your own answer. Gold wrap is a mistranslated/literal term from chinese to english. English term is gold filled, as trailboss said.

You have to realise you are not paying for the material cost. You are paying for a product. None claimed there is that much of gold there to justify the price difference, however it's a different product with, obviously, higher cost to manufacture than a plain stainless steel watch. Manufacturer cost always multiply when going retail. Also dont forget most retailers/dealers work with percentage, so bigger wholesale price means bigger profit, while using the same percentage multiplier. If you were paying for materials you would be buying genuine rolexes for about 2-3$ .

Thanks for your answer. I just want to know real gold it is.

vnzz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/15
Such a rude answer wow, OP didnt even say that any answer was wrong , I dont get the point imo.

hiawatha

Horology Curious
19/1/11
Such a rude answer wow, OP didnt even say that any answer was wrong , I dont get the point imo.

Everybody I'm sorry. I am not good at English.
I never say even that any answer was wrong.

vnzz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/15
Everybody I'm sorry. I am not good at English.
I never say even that any answer was wrong.

I know dude, I was not refering to your post : )

OTF_300

24/6/16

Does it fade though? That is the real question, I bought gold filled jewelry before and it came with a life time warranty, I know rep watch factories don't offer actual warranties but will this Gold Wrap fade or not?

On a watch like this one let's say

http://chazingtime.co/product/dayda...-roman-dial-fluted-bezel-yg-bracelet-eta2836/

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
With Wrapped gold you get a lot more gold than gold plate. Gold plate is usually around 5 microns ( If it is good) Wrapped is from 20 to 30 microns generally. It should last well enough in normal use. Most significant scratches on a watch won't be more than 5 microns in depth, so it will resist that.
Problem is it is still too light compared with a real solid gold watch.

A micron is 1000th of a millimeter.

Horological interest in the micron came about in 1844 when Antoine Le Coultre (JLC) invented the Millionometer. A mechanical measuring device capable of defining engineering tolerances of one micron. Quite an amazing achievement at the time which also marked the beginning of the use of metric measurement in watchmaking.

Caesar

Grand Poobah
16/1/17
Lady's Island, SC
With Wrapped gold you get a lot more gold than gold plate. Gold plate is usually around 5 microns ( If it is good) Wrapped is from 20 to 30 microns generally. It should last well enough in normal use. Most significant scratches on a watch won't be more than 5 microns in depth, so it will resist that.

Horological interest in the micron came about in 1844 when Antoine Le Coultre (JLC) invented the Millionometer. A mechanical measuring device capable of defining engineering tolerances of one micron. Quite an amazing achievement at the time which also marked the beginning of the use of metric measurement in watchmaking.

That is really interesting. I always assumed that the gold wrap had quite a thicker layer than the plated. It's a trip to realize that it's really only 20 microns or so thicker! Doesn't seem like that minuscule bit extra gold would help tremendously with deeper scratches.
Also, cool facts about Antoine Le Coultre. May have to go wiki him and learn a bit more. Thanks for sharing!!

OTF_300

24/6/16

Thanks for all the info, yet it didn't answer my question, If I'am careful with my watch and I take care of it, for how long do you think the watch would sustain it's finish and won't fade?

Asmodeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/4/15
Thanks for all the info, yet it didn't answer my question, If I'am careful with my watch and I take care of it, for how long do you think the watch would sustain it's finish and won't fade?

Do you want that in seconds, minutes, hours, days or months?

Krrus

27/1/15
Do anyone know if luster differ between gold wrapped and gold plated?

OTF_300

24/6/16
Do you want that in seconds, minutes, hours, days or months?

Estimated day's please :)

Just wondering because if I drop around $1,400 on a replica watch with gold wrap I'd be interested to know how long before it starts to fade

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Estimated day's please :)

Just wondering because if I drop around $1,400 on a replica watch with gold wrap I'd be interested to know how long before it starts to fade

Average printed paper is around 75 microns. In gold wrap you have a little under half of that. It isn't paper it is 18ct gold 85 to 125 Vickers .

It is bonded to 316 steel. It is pretty permanent in practical use, without excessive abuse. It wont fade or wear away in a the next ten years IMO.

That is providing that you actually get 20 to 30 microns of Gold wrap and not 5 microns of gold leaf.

Soldier2304

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/17
What concerns me is the color. Gold plating has a brownish color compared to genuine 18kt. I am not sure about gold wrapped or (gold filled) color in person. Anybody can chime in that has owned both?

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Well gold wrap isnt gold plate It is gold so it will look like any other gold All gold alloys are variable in colour depending onbwhat is in them Particilarly Rose gold which varies massively