• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW to remove blue/purple-ish AR coating?

glucosamine

Horology Curious
3/8/09
Blue or purple-ish reflection on rep with AR coating, Easily give away it is a FAKE.
So how can i remove the blue/purple-ish ARcoating, i am fine with a pure crystal without coating, as long as it doesn't show the screaming fake blue reflection.

fine dd

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/8/06
You can try it with Cape Code.

For my part, i use a drilling machine and some special sapphire paste.

alarge.jpg

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Does the press or cape cod not damage the crystal? Seems rough. Thanks.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Cape Cod will not damage sapphire crystal. Another alternative is dremel with polishing paste. Sapphire is really hard, so it allows a lot of room for polishing products to remove AR coatings.

Another method is: use strong acid, but you need to have license and proper lab to do it.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
I once removed AR (my PAM111) with the metallic brush of a Dremel + polishing paste... Sounds rough, but it worked and as Taka said, Sapphire resists many things.
But I feel FineDD's method is safer :D

HR911

Renowned Member
27/8/09
UK
This is going to sound like a dumb question but the AR coating is on the inside or outside?
Do you have to remove the movement?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Can be inside only or both sides.

Yes, in most cases you need to remove the movement and take out the crystal from the case.

glucosamine

Horology Curious
3/8/09
I once removed AR (my PAM111) with the metallic brush of a Dremel + polishing paste... Sounds rough, but it worked and as Taka said, Sapphire resists many things.
But I feel FineDD's method is safer :D

mine is 111H as well, the AR is on the inside of Sapphire or outside?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Mine was just on the inside.
Start with that side and check how it looks like after.

midasmook

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/08
Make sure it's sapphire before you start, I didn't and am now looking for a new 44mm crystal for my Pam 270.

pennerei

Known Member
6/10/09
the people dont like the blue/purple shine....why tehy continue to make such a AR coating?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Pen. It's not that people don't like AR. There are just different levels of AR ranging from cheap screaming blue on up.

desmoquattro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/7/09
You'd be surprised how many gens have that bright AR color to them. For one, Tag Heuers have really obvious coatings. At any angle they look navy blue.

Point is, it doesn't necessarily scream "fake" at all. It might actually be pretty accurate. See if you can handle a gen at an AD to get an idea ;)

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Removal is simple process.
Smash rep crystal with Large Hammer.
Replace with mineral or sapphire with no AR from you local watch guy.

Hope that helped. LMAO.

jvd45

6/9/09
Removal is simple process.
Smash rep crystal with Large Hammer.
Replace with mineral or sapphire with no AR from you local watch guy.

Hope that helped. LMAO.

think you missed a crucial step out there sub... first you gotta use a scotchbrite pad carefully remove the top AR if dual ar,.. then on the underside.. large hammer method works quite well

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
think you missed a crucial step out there sub... first you gotta use a scotchbrite pad carefully remove the top AR if dual ar,.. then on the underside.. large hammer method works quite well

Please be careful, remove your fingers before hit the watch...

17/6/10
The crystal on IWC 3714 rep a Mineral or Sapphire?

hacra

3/1/10
sapphire, but does not come with AR, you wont have this problem...

hidden impact

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/1/12
Cape Cod will not damage sapphire crystal. Another alternative is dremel with polishing paste. Sapphire is really hard, so it allows a lot of room for polishing products to remove AR coatings.

Another method is: use strong acid, but you need to have license and proper lab to do it.

what acid can you use and what strength or concentration? acetic acid or hydrochloric?

snbr2011

16/5/12
hi,

I have a pam233 and same dilema here, cannot seem to find a domed crystal to replace it, any recomendations? I am just afraid that with the new one I wont have that distorted number effect.

Thanks