• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Glue specific question (Pearl)

jddre

Known Member
15/11/10
Central CONUS
I have read the posts on replacing pearls, I see folks using a lot of different glues, but is there a consensus as to what glue(s) to use, or what glue(s) to avoid?
I imagine super-glues are out, but there are 'jeweler's epoxies', regular epoxies, gorilla glues, I just don't want to be replacing my pearl once I get this new pearl in I just got from WM.

Thoughts?

Targa

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/10
I use Loctite repair extreme (and a toothpick to apply it...sparingly)

Very flexible, water resistant and easy to work with, gives you some time to clean it up, remove excess and it sticks like crazy, it is also my preferred adhesive for bezels

MMA

5/10/10
I use GS hypo for pearls, Gorilla glue for inserts.

jddre

Known Member
15/11/10
Central CONUS
I use GS hypo for pearls, Gorilla glue for inserts.

I don't know what an 'insert' is, but at any rate, I got a pearl from WM, and I found a place here in town that sells G-S, but it doesn't matter, no matter what I do I cannot get the pearl into the hole in the bezel, apparently you have to remove the bezel from the watch and use a press of some sort to press it in???

jddre

Known Member
15/11/10
Central CONUS
So, I will visit a local watchmaker and see what he can do, but geez, now I'm afraid I'll buy a new bezel and somehow IT won't fit.
Jamie at Timesshop is useless to me at this point, he offers little in the way of help.

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
I don't know what an 'insert' is, but at any rate, I got a pearl from WM, and I found a place here in town that sells G-S, but it doesn't matter, no matter what I do I cannot get the pearl into the hole in the bezel, apparently you have to remove the bezel from the watch and use a press of some sort to press it in???

On many pearls there is a lip and needs to be put in from the back side of the bezel insert. The lip help prevent it from falling out. you will need to glue the pearl at the lip to the insert bezel, then re-glue the bezel insert. If using gorilla glue use it very sparingly as it expands as it dries.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The WM pearl fits from the top as you have it. On my dweller, I did have to take the insert out to enlarge the hole. I use marine epoxy for the pearl and Hypo for the insert as I have never had an issue with hypo on inserts. Maybe I will try gorilla next time.

jddre

Known Member
15/11/10
Central CONUS
The WM pearl fits from the top as you have it. On my dweller, I did have to take the insert out to enlarge the hole. I use marine epoxy for the pearl and Hypo for the insert as I have never had an issue with hypo on inserts. Maybe I will try gorilla next time.

I am going to ask this question, because I know if I am asking it, there are a few hundred other people that would like to ask it but are afraid to:

What is an 'insert'?

There is the bezel, there is a pearl that sits in a tiny metal cup-type thing, and that thing is what you glue in. So what is an 'insert'?

Fiddo

-----
Gold Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
I am going to ask this question, because I know if I am asking it, there are a few hundred other people that would like to ask it but are afraid to:

What is an 'insert'?

There is the bezel, there is a pearl that sits in a tiny metal cup-type thing, and that thing is what you glue in. So what is an 'insert'?

An insert is the metal or ceramic piece (engraved or printed with numbers, hash marks etc,) that goes inside the bezel. A pearl goes into the bezel insert. The bezel insert goes into the bezel.

I use Hypo cement for both bezels and pearls... no issues to date. Gorilla Glue works for bezels and pearls. I have found it expands when it dries....so, use very little.

fine dd

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/8/06
I tried several glue but for me the best decision is my UV glue.
I use the same for gluing in the AR´d cyclops

120007.jpg

It doesnt make the pearl darker like cement.

Here the result:

sam20111024x768.jpg

sam20131024x768.jpg