• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to make a true gilt dial on the cheap - Tropical or Black

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
@chrome72 Please don't get me wrong: your work looks good and your guide is excellent and the method with the paper also seems to improve the toner transfer somewhat. My statement was about the method in general. With each of the three steps we lose detail.
  1. when creating the computer grafic we can be very detailed; especially with vector grafic
  2. when printing, the precision of the printer and the settings are essential
  3. with toner transfer we lose precision again
  4. most of all, however, we lose precision when blackening

In my experience, this method is ok for dials with little detail and large letters. The Rolex 5513, for example, is a great example. However, for dials with small typography (reference 1675, 1016) the result is no longer as good. This is perhaps the reason why some people here try to achieve more detailed results using the decal process.

Result 5513 with bigger font:

Compread to gen still horrible:

Result 1675 with thinner font and more detail:

Compred to gen:

• Love
Reactions: 369mafia

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
I appreciate the feedback. I know for pcb makers where I lifted this idea from some had used foil on top of the toner to prevent the etching acids from messing up their toner. I do have some and can try.

plus there is always going back to photoresist for the finer detailed dials!

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
How long after lacquering with nitrocellulose did you try this? Was it shortly after a fresh coat, or had the nitrocellulose (mostly) cured/hardened? I ask because I just sanded a dial with 5000 then 7000 to remove almost all the "orange peel" texture. I then tried the acetone vapor chamber and yes, it was glossy shiny, but I could still see a little of the orange peel texture, although less than just after sanding. My dial was lacquered at the beginning of the week, so it was well along to being completely cured.
tried this again and think I have more insight. I did 3 light coats on a dial yesterday evening. About 17 hours later I did my same method of acetone paper towel (5 sloshes of the can onto a paper towel and lined a glass cup with the paper towel). 10 minutes later the lacquer had just about reliquified and no milky haze. So I would say 10-12 minutes might be the magic number IF you don’t have a ton of acetone.

WatchN3RD

24/7/18
OK, so it might be a matter of time then. My dial quickly took on a nice sheen, but I didn't see much difference between 3 minutes and 7 minutes, so I stopped it because I didn't think much else was happening and to avoid the milkiness that you saw at the 15 minute mark.

Thanks for posting this technique. The experimentation will continue!
Also, you can put the dial in the same sealed environment directly after painting to slow the drying process and allow it to settle. Then let it harden. Not sure if it would help when building up layers though.

WatchN3RD

24/7/18
@chrome72 Please don't get me wrong: your work looks good and your guide is excellent and the method with the paper also seems to improve the toner transfer somewhat. My statement was about the method in general. With each of the three steps we lose detail.
  1. when creating the computer grafic we can be very detailed; especially with vector grafic
  2. when printing, the precision of the printer and the settings are essential
  3. with toner transfer we lose precision again
  4. most of all, however, we lose precision when blackening

In my experience, this method is ok for dials with little detail and large letters. The Rolex 5513, for example, is a great example. However, for dials with small typography (reference 1675, 1016) the result is no longer as good. This is perhaps the reason why some people here try to achieve more detailed results using the decal process.

Result 5513 with bigger font:

Compread to gen still horrible:

Result 1675 with thinner font and more detail:

Compred to gen:
Do you have a closeup of your prints before you transfer? I'm curious if the fonts are too thick/bold, considering the detail loss you mentioned with blackening. It almost looks as though the brass markings are getting wider instead of becoming thinner.

Personally, I'm trying to figure out how an acid is not corrosive and instead builds a layer. Especially if a loss in detail is happening.

I'm just trying to better understand with hopes of finding a solution for any potential weaknesses.

To simplify my question, when you leave your dial in the solution to darken it, I know more time creates a darker color. But is are the fonts in the brass color portion with toner transfer getting thinner or getting thicker?

Reactions: matzemedia

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Do you have a closeup of your prints before you transfer? I'm curious if the fonts are too thick/bold, considering the detail loss you mentioned with blackening. It almost looks as though the brass markings are getting wider instead of becoming thinner.

Personally, I'm trying to figure out how an acid is not corrosive and instead builds a layer. Especially if a loss in detail is happening.

I'm just trying to better understand with hopes of finding a solution for any potential weaknesses.

To simplify my question, when you leave your dial in the solution to darken it, I know more time creates a darker color. But is are the fonts in the brass color portion with toner transfer getting thinner or getting thicker?
Im not sure the acid distorts the toner because the pcb makers leave their metal in acid for 20+ minutes. but who knows. I’m going for 2 maybe 3 minutes max in the acid. I can run a test with foil on top of the toner and see if might be an issue with the toner to be sure. Some pcb makers do this but I don’t think it’s common.

The text on the 7928 dial Above comes out a lot crisper. The font on the actual art is thinner though so it may be an issue with the font self.

Reactions: WatchN3RD

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland

OK ... we are doing a research project ;-) To continue this as an engineer, here are my latest results. I have once again created a 1675 dial. It has relatively small lettering.

Here a screenshot of the source PDF. I have already made all the elements thinner.

Here the print. I really loose a lot of detail in this step. You can see some letters touch each other:

The toner transfer with a film. Lookes ok, less lost of detail:

Finally after blacking and a first layer of lacquer. The letters and lines getting thicker. And that is rather one of the better results

Reactions: 369mafia and Hec

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
OK ... we are doing a research project ;-) To continue this as an engineer, here are my latest results. I have once again created a 1675 dial. It has relatively small lettering.

Here a screenshot of the source PDF. I have already made all the elements thinner.

Here the print. I really loose a lot of detail in this step. You can see some letters touch each other:

Finally after blacking and a first layer of lacquer. The letters and lines getting thicker. And that is rather one of the better results
I’m working on a 6542. . Here is an example of what it looks like on brass. Haven’t done one with oxidizing or playing yet. I think the transfer to brass comes out quite nicely. I think it’s pretty thin

WatchN3RD

24/7/18

I like how you have shown all of your steps here. It definitely helps tracking down the various effects of each process.
1) The actual printout is noticeably thicker, so that should be the first item to pinpoint. Is it possible your settings are using a "dot gain," "saturate," or similar setting? Here's a Adobe post I found with many possible issues. (I know you are not using Adobe, but many of the printing issues apply to many programs/platforms.) https://community.adobe.com/t5/inde...d-rasters-are-thickened-on-print/m-p/13074528
2) Thickening of the letters and lines during blackening still has me confused, but Chrome72's theory of a halo around the toner makes the most sense thus far. Usually if an acid is eating away at toner in this situation, the chemical blackening would encroach on the toner area and start to eat away at the edges of the toner. The blackening portion would continually grow, but yours is doing the opposite! Just thinking out loud, but if wiping it with alcohol somehow doesn't help, I wonder if 2-3 minutes of vinegar or lemon juice would be enough to eat away and remove the halo portion before blackening. It seems like you'd only want to remove a microscopic edge so I'd guess a mild acid for a short period could be enough.

Reactions: chrome72

WatchN3RD

24/7/18
Just to make things worse, I tried transferring toner with a soldering iron from a printout on magazine paper... knowing it would fail. Worked so well, I got the background images too.
Total bullshit. I'm ready to make my own transfer paper or switch to photoresist film.

Even the "t-swiss" transferred better than I realized my print was.

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Just to make things worse, I tried transferring toner with a soldering iron from a printout on magazine paper... knowing it would fail. Worked so well, I got the background images too.
Total bullshit. I'm ready to make my own transfer paper or switch to photoresist film.

Even the "t-swiss" transferred better than I realized my print was.
That is pretty nice. I was initially using my stove top to heat the toner and a clothes pin to burnish lightly and that works well too

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
I have some good Tudor 7928 results. I personally think the transfer looks awesome. The rose is the best I have ever had it come out. That is the hardest thing to capture in my opinion. Its what I have been chasing.

I tried 2 different acids, on of top of the other. M38 first and then the CB2 black patina. The black patina wiped off a bit more than I had planned but I like the look