• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to fix a recessed Cannon Pinion.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
This is the first cannon pin change I have done so I decided to take a few pics along the way. If you enjoy tinkering with watches it is a lot of fun but there are a couple of things to watch out for in the process...OK on with the show.

Remove the crown guard and stem from the watch then remove the movement from the case. There are other tutorials that already show how to do this.

First we remove the hands from the watch:
img_1823Medium.jpg

img_1824Medium.jpg

This dial just lifted off the movement:
img_1825Medium.jpg

Remove the keyless works cover screw:
img_1827Medium.jpg

Remove the keyless cover: Be careful because the set spring underneath can fly away very easily.
img_1828Medium.jpg

CAUTION: Now remove 'set spring'. It is the U-shaped spring in the photo. See how the spring fits next to the 'clutch lever'.
Be very careful not to let the spring get away from you. The reason we remove the keyless cover and spring is to get to the minute wheel for removal and we remove the minute wheel so we do not risk damaging its teeth when we seat the new cannon pinion.
img_1858Medium.jpg

Now remove the 'hour wheel' and its foil:
img_1829Medium.jpg

Now we can remove the minute wheel:
img_1830Medium.jpg

Parts are safely stored:
img_1835Medium.jpg

Now we are ready to remove the short cannon pin:
img_1831Medium.jpg

Here is the correct tool to do it with. It is a Bergeon #2 hands and cannon pin puller. Regular pliers can be used but this is the correct tool for the job:
img_1842Medium.jpg

cannonpinpuller.jpg

Place puller over pin:
img_1843Medium.jpg

...and gently squeeze the sides to lift the cannon pin off:
img_1845Medium.jpg

...cannon pin removed:
img_1846Medium.jpg

Here is a shot of the short pin next to the larger one we will put on:
img_1849Medium.jpg

Place the new pin in position:
img_1850Medium.jpg

...and firmly press downward until you hear it seat. You will know when it is seated properly, it will make a nice click. I used the end of my tweezers. A press would be ideal for this part but sometimes we must make do with what we have.
img_1851Medium.jpg

Now replace the minute wheel back on:
img_1852Medium.jpg

minute wheel in place:
img_1853Medium.jpg

Here is the short hour wheel next to the new larger hour wheel. The large hour wheel comes with cannon pin as a set.
Take the foil from the short wheel and place onto the taller wheel:
img_1854Medium.jpg

Hour wheel in place:
img_1856Medium.jpg

Now its time to put the set spring back in. Be very careful because it can get away and make sure it butts up against the clutch lever:
img_1857Medium.jpg

Set spring in position:
img_1858Medium-1.jpg

Replace the keyless cover and screw:
img_1860Medium.jpg

Place the dial on:
img_1861Medium.jpg

Now we put the hands back on...With the larger cannon pin the hour hand should fit fine, but the minute hand will need to be filed down in order to fit on. I invert the hand on a flat surface and file down to correct size with a jeweler's file. Take your time, file a little then test for fit. File until the correct fit is achieved:
img_1864Medium.jpg

Jeweler's file for filing down the flange on the minute hand:
Nikoncannonpinchange003Medium.jpg

Hour and second hand placed on:
img_1862Medium.jpg

Now the filed down minute hand is placed on: The minute hand could use just a little more filing down, but much improved.
img_1870Medium.jpg

Now I clean off dial smudges with some rodico putty:
img_1873Medium.jpg

Maybe still not perfect but much better:
Nikoncannonpinchange007Medium.jpg

Nikoncannonpinchange009Medium.jpg

...and just for fun we will finish with a pic of the real thing. Thanks for viewing and good luck. :D
pam_113_1.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Looks Great Cybee. This makes me want to get a Panerai Rep even more. Good Going you Master of Sales! :D

LegendofSpeed

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/06
Great tutorial.... I especially liked how you showed how you can file the hand down to make it work with the tall canon pin...

Some of you out there have Panerai's with tall canon pins already and don't know it! If you find that you do upon disassembly, you can file down the hand and make it work like this... the last few asian movement Panerai's I have bought have had a tall canon pin but with hands that had a flange that was too long... just file down, or us a set of DSN hands (pre-filed down and lumed for you) and you're good to go!

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
great post cybee, thx a lot, next time I will try it. Didn't know that I need a new hour wheel too.

no_one

5/4/08
cybee said:
This is the first cannon pin change I have done so I decided to take a few pics along the way. If you enjoy tinkering with watches it is a lot of fun but there are a couple of things to watch out for in the process...OK on with the show.

A 'few ' pics... It's a step by step tutorial.

Very nice, thanks cybee. I'll definitely be referring to this.

konigwolf

10/2/08
We definitely need more posts like this, seen all those pics I feel confident in doing the same mod myself.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
LegendOfSpeed said:
Great tutorial.... I especially liked how you showed how you can file the hand down to make it work with the tall canon pin...

Some of you out there have Panerai's with tall canon pins already and don't know it! If you find that you do upon disassembly, you can file down the hand and make it work like this...

That would definitely save a lot of work... I was afraid to file the hand down any more because it was really starting to look flat, not a lot of room left to put on the post.

I have only seen this tutorial twice on another board and figured we needed to have one here. What really impresses me is that the Asian 6497 is built very well and so far every Eta part I have tried putting on fits, except for the screws. The Eta screws seem to be slilghtly different and will not fit on the bridges. Also the teeth on some of the gears are smaller than Eta gears....oh well too much fun... thanks for the kind words guys. :D

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
Worth of a sticky - my 0.02c

I've been looking for this tutorial, and now i found it, GREAT job cybee :)

Industril

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/5/09
Just wondering if anyone knew....what's the purpose of the foil for the hour wheel?

Cheers.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The foil, I believe, serves 2 purposes. Someone can correct me if I am mistaken. :wink: 1. It has a special cupped shape so that when the dial is on top of it, it acts like a spring to keep any play in the hour wheel at bay. 2. It keeps the dial from laying directly over the hour wheel which could cause direct frictional contact.

I did my best. :D

MReplica

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
31/3/09
Thank you cybee, this turtorial helps me a lot in canno pinion. Great job!

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
littlepopeye said:
Thank you cybee, this turtorial helps me a lot in canno pinion. Great job!

Very glad to hear it helped. Thanks littlepopeye.

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
Cybee, I just read this thread, Im new Here, and these Pics help me to learn a lot.
Maybe some day i may do so in my watches. LOL
Thanks a lot Cybee.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
cybee,

might I add:

Some people might ask, why remove the minute wheel, you would not have as much to disassemble,

If you push the new CP down on top of the minute wheel and it is not aligned correctly, you may chip off a tooth on the minute wheel or damage it possibly causing debris that will seize up your watch.

It should be done exactly as cybee has shown!

Good tutorial!