• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Daytona Options

advuk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/12/09
I "think" I could live with the faux chrono's.

I did have a look around on recommended dealers sites, but all were showing 7750's and couldn't see any 21J. some even mentioning ETA, which from other threads I believe is highly unlikely.

I'm open to options, as per the title of the thread.

Ive had the 7750, which was a great watch while it lasted and considering it was worn daily for a few months, irrespective of what I was doing, I think it faired quite well (it may even get resurrected after I pick it up when Im next back home and find out what movement was dropped back into it).

reeder139

14/4/09
The way I see it right now, If you don't mind have faux chronos, pic up a 21j and enjoy it, it seems to be the most accurate to gen visually.

If you want the working chronograph then get the 7750 and freeze the running seconds. That way, you won't have reliability problems.

Also, you mention you have the 7750 already but it is broken. Based on what you've said, do you think or know that it now doesn't contain a 7750 or I am talking rubbish?

If it's just a broken 7750 daytona and you want to sell it for a reasonable price then I would be interested as I would freeze the running seconds and have it for myself...;-)

advuk

18/12/09
@Reeder - when I bought it, it had a 7750, which eventually stopped working.. I took it to a watchsmith and I dont know if he replaced the movement as he said, or just serviced it - I paid £100.

The movement isnt holding charge for more than 7 - 8 hours, but all the Chrono functions work, so I believe it mut be a 7750 - Im open to be corrected.

If the overall look of the watch is good and I could get it repaired, I may well take this option myself.

The problem is the watch is in the UK and Im working in Europe - when I get back I will be picking it up, along with my new PO and possibly YM and posting pics.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07

The problem of these Daytonas with seconds at nine, isn´t the fact that people will know it because of the "accuracy to gen". But because they´re FUGLY!

The subdials really kill the overal look of the watch with those tiny, hugely separated subdials. It totally spoils the look that makes the Daytona so sexy.

That´s why I´d rather have an a21j with faux chronos, but that looks GEN, than a watch that has a working chrono (which I´ll never use BTW) and looks like...a cheapo.
Best option - IMHO - is to go with an a21j, or go straight to a vintage.

There´s always the fraken ground to tip-toe in, but then we´re talking about alot of work and 3 grand on parts to build one...at least.

Cheers,
Spirit.

I'd have to agree here but overall it is not a very striking watch. I believe it is for board members that want subdials and rolex logo in a bigger watch is all. And likewise there's been people wanting quartz SMP with chronos which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. Overall I tend to stay away from the chrono watches. I figure if I wanted one, I'd go buy a Citizen quartz that looks basically like a blue submariner but with subdials and I've only seen those in Japan town. When I see daytonas in person in real life if they are not inside of an AD or strapped onto an AD worker's wrist inside a shop, I automatically know that they are all fake. I would not touch one with a 10' pole. It doesn't even have the classy look of a datejust. However there are some subs I do like. The black ones are kind of less appealing though since again too many reps on the street and it is a rather plain watch. It appears that daytonas and black subs are the most repped watches on the market entirely.

advuk

18/12/09
"not a very striking watch" - from a personal perspective I disagree, I've liked the watch since I first saw one, before the prices went crazy and before I even knew that reps were any good and anything other than the £5 Tags that used to come back from peoples holidays.

I actually cant put my finger on what it is, but its the white SS version that does it for me.. not attracted to the TT or black face and I don't like the newer 2008 versions either.. there is just something about it that I really find aesthetically pleasing.

Same with the GMT over the sub and dssd, theres just something I like about them that I cant place.

And several variations of the vintage Daytona do it for me aswell, again, some just please me to look at, I dont care whether other people say its a good one or not.

BUT, agree that theres so many rep daytonas out there, however I do know a few people with gen's - the same people who couldnt tell me if mine was gen or not.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
When I see daytonas in person in real life if they are not inside of an AD or strapped onto an AD worker's wrist inside a shop, I automatically know that they are all fake.

Well you don't 'know'. But that certainly reinforces the statement in my sig.

As far as that model goes it is rather vanilla wrapper. But for whatever reason it is the most popular version out there. Go figure.

advuk

18/12/09
... oh... and I like the pro hunter ones too :)

Agree that there's so many reps around, but out of the people that I know that have reps and the people I know that have gens - you would not be able to tell by looking at the person alone and there are a lot of gens out there too.

RolexAddict

Dealer (watch buildings)
Trusted Dealer
27/10/07
just my to cents...

Vintage Daytonas from DW/SpinMaster source, are actually the only accurate Rolex chronographs.

This "sub-dial" spacing consideration is only anal.
Or for these who don't undertstand the "anal" word, I will say : masturbation.

The sub-dial spacing between a gen 6263 dial and a rep 6263 dial is ... 0,6mm... so, stop to be stupid.
Its possible to adapt a gen dial on a DW/Spin combo. Just need skills and tools, thats all.

delize

Horology Curious
3/11/08
Daytona with working chronos

Advuk, have you considered the option of a vintage Daytona (Paul Newman or not) with the Seagull ST 19 movement ? This chinese chronograph movement, also named "lemania" (which he is not) or "Venus copy" (which he is) is bullet-proof and much more reliable than any 7750 movement (even with seconds @9). Choose a Daytona with frozen @six subdial (which is the hour counter, so it's not an issue) and you have a nice watch, with good-working chronos. Of course, the pushers are not assymetrical, but you can find such Daytonas around 230 $, much less expensive than a spinmaster or a DW.