• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to clean a dial????

joeyz400

I saved a ton of $$$
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/8/06
What can I use, that I might have around the house to clean my Rolex Day-Date dial? There is nothing major just some lint and a couple of spots.

rangers158

Known Member
12/4/06
Use rodico (watchmaker blue tack) or alcohol solution / lens cleaner to wipe. But use microfibre cloth or else you will scratch the dial. For shiny surhace, best to use blower.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Like ranger said a blower would be the best option, for dust specs that just won't come off with the blower try to remove then very gently with a lint-free cloth. Also blow out some air on the crystal and wipe with the lint-free cloth, it's very annoying to take it apart and putting it back just to find out a very tiny dust spec is sitting where everyone can view it. :lol:

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Ridico is great when it works but often not the right tool.

Most of the time, I use homemade swabs from lint-free lens cleaning cloth (not paper) dampened with distilled water. It works and does no damage to the dial.

I stay away from chemicals until, and unless, I’m getting nowhere. My experience is to approach problems assuming what I take off cannot be easy replaced.

Once you struggle cleaning a dial, you’ll start wearing finger cots or gloves.

gatorkills94

Known Member
Supporter
10/4/23
denver
Is this a simple enough task for a beginner? I’ve never fully taken the dial out of a watch. Also what would be a standard cost for paying a watch smith for this?

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Is this a simple enough task for a beginner? I’ve never fully taken the dial out of a watch. Also what would be a standard cost for paying a watch smith for this?
That really depends. Some people are naturally better at these tasks than others. Extreme care and patience is required. Wear finger cots. Also wear a mask - you don't want to be breathing on anything.

I recommend practicing on something you don't mind damaging or destroying. And good quality tools are essential, especially if you're planning on removing and reinstalling hands.

Cost to have it done for you shouldn't be more than $30-35 USD.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorkills94

gatorkills94

Known Member
Supporter
10/4/23
denver
That really depends. Some people are naturally better at these tasks than others. Extreme care and patience is required. Wear finger cots. Also wear a mask - you don't want to be breathing on anything.

I recommend practicing on something you don't mind damaging or destroying. And good quality tools are essential, especially if you're planning on removing and reinstalling hands.

Cost to have it done for you shouldn't be more than $30-35 USD.
Sweet, thank you! I would like to get into being able to work on my own watches but only have 2 nice reps rn and don’t want to ruin them

Reactions: SS72