• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: A simple & easy pictoral guide to modding your Rolex

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
(Admin: please feel free to pin or move this thread to a different forum, if applicable)

The Rolex Submariner, in particular, is arguably one of the most popular, sought after, and replicated watches in the world. It's no wonder that the search for this very timepiece is what drives such a multitude of people to join these great forums in the first place. I know because that's how I found them. So for everyone, after a while of lurking & learning, then contributing and becoming a little tenured, one will inevitably read repeats of the ubiquitous question "Who has the best Sub?"... For our newest members, pay close attention--in all honesty, there is no true or steadfast answer to that question, and due to a constant market demand, there probably never will be. Each different model from every dealer & manufacturer has it's own list of pros, cons, and mods to be done.

As I'm sure plenty of other members do, I receive a vast number of PMs regarding modding these watches--specifically the diver's watches; the Submariner and Sea Dweller. In posting this thread, I will attempt to explain--in terms both veterans and novices will understand--how to take your basic, out-of-the-box replica, and hopefully move it a few steps closer to looking like a genuine. :)

This article requires no advanced skill in order to achieve what is shown in the pictures below. These mods are not something so complicated & expert that they will transform your replicas into something that will fool anyone when put under a microscope; as no amount of modification will. These are, simply put, relatively quick & easy mods that I will try to illustrate as simply as possible, to help fellow hobbyists learn a little about what they're wearing and how to make it a bit more accurate, without high cost or the use of expensive or complex machinery.

You will find most of the tools & supplies I employ below are actually household items easy to come by for most watch-nuts, and for those that might not be, I have taken the liberty of including descriptions, pricing, and availability via links, for all the tools I use here.

The specific model I have chosen to modify for this article, is the newest release of the Rolex Sea Dweller, model # 16600. These are, of course, general modifications that can be performed on all of Rolex's dive watches, from the steel Submariner 16610, to the green 50th anniversary edition Submariner 16610LV, the two-tone 16613, the Sea Dweller 16600, etc.

If you don't already have them, some inexpensive tools that you find you'll repeatedly need in this hobby are the Beifang caseback keys:

IMG_0104.jpg

You'll find this multi-purpose set will open all types of Rolex casebacks, ladies and mens models including the newer mid-size unisex versions, and both the modern & vintage models. I purchased mine from a trusted & established dealer on this board, named Andrew. His link for these are here:

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=732

One of the screw & nut driver sets I use below, was acquired from Amazon, here:

IMG_0105.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/16-Pc-Jeweler-Scr ... 301&sr=8-2

The modification we will begin with is shaping the CGs (crown guards). Note: CGs differ from model to model, depending upon the make and the year. For example, the Sea Dweller does not have the exact same shape CGs as the Submariner does; and vintage Submariners do not have the same size or shape that the modern ones do. It's best to have a picture for reference when working on them. Try to use a picture of an actual genuine to model yours on, if you've never owned or studied one before--don't use pictures of modded replicas, because not all are done the same. I find one of the best places to get pictures of the genuine article is on eBay; there's usually a multitude of shots from various angles. It's quite easy to tell the difference between the scam artists and the reputable dealers, by looking at the amount of positive feedback and quantity of sales they've amassed under their screen-name. Here's a good example of a well respected dealer, currently offering the new Sea Dweller:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmvpwatchco

Now, to get started. Aside from the caseback opener & screwdriver set mentioned above, the materials we'll need for modding the crown guards are just a couple sheets of ordinary 150 grit sandpaper, a roll of Scotch tape, and a pair of scissors.

I like to start by removing the pin holding the diver's extension in the clasp, rather than removing a screw in one of the wristband's links (as some models are noted for having problems with those). You can use a watch-pin remover or simply the edge of a 1mm screwdriver:

IMG_0065-1.jpg

Next, remove the caseback:

IMG_0025-3.jpg

Unwind the crown from the tube and pull it out to the time-set position. The second hand should stop ticking on most models at this point. After you've done this, use nothing smaller than a 1.2mm screwdriver to gently depress the crown release mechanism (shown), while pulling on the crown to separate it from the movement:

IMG_0026-1.jpg

Now, reattach the caseback to prevent dust & debris from entering through the back:

IMG_0027-2.jpg

Next, cover the edge of the bezel with a strip of the Scotch tape to prevent it from getting scratched during sanding:

IMG_0029-2.jpg

Make sure to cover the tube hole with tape, to prevent debris from entering through here:

IMG_0030.jpg

Now, cut a few pieces of the sandpaper into 1 inch strips. Cut as many as you like, they'll wear out quick, and you'll probably burn through a lot of them:

IMG_0028.jpg

With the coarse side of the paper facing the CGs and the smooth backing facing the tube, begin sanding (only) the insides of the crown guards, with gentle, back and forth motions. Be careful the coarse side of the paper never touches the tube, as it can easily disfigure the tube's threads or ruin the tube gasket, rendering the watch hopeless for waterproofing, and possibly ruining the threads, making it unable to reattach the crown.

IMG_0033-2.jpg

IMG_0038-2.jpg

Alternate between right inside and left inside on the CGs, stopping every few minutes to check your progress, to make sure of the form & shape:

IMG_0043-2.jpg

The reason we're using a more traditional method, rather than one with power-tools is because as a novice, one slip of the wrist with a Dremmel spinning at 4000-10,000 RPMs, and your watch was just rendered useless. Also make sure to check the tape occasionally, in case the sandpaper is eating through.

The whole process--depending upon your speed & efficiency--should take about 30 minutes. Once you've completed this, a simple can of compressed air will clear away most of the debris:

IMG_0053-1.jpg

What is left, can also be removed with a small brush (this is also a good time to apply a thin coat of silicon grease, for waterproofing). You can easily find a 1 oz jar of silicon grease on eBay or Amazon for under four dollars.

IMG_0056.jpg

OPTIONAL: Instead of spending $70-100 on a Dremmel for polishing, most hardware stores sell bench-grinders that go up to 4000 RPMs for half the price of the Dremmel. I found a 6" Ryobi at the Home Depot for only $39; I just replaced one of the grinding stones with a cloth buffing pad:

IMG_0050-1.jpg

On the wrist, the insides of the CG's will not be visible to the naked eye, once the crown is back in place. But if you're a stickler, you can give them a quick polish with some extra-fine blue jewelers rouge:

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/6-pc-Polishing-Co ... 693&sr=8-3

Be sure to leave the tape on when polishing:

IMG_0049-1.jpg

Now remove the caseback once again, and line up the crown-stem to reinsert:

IMG_0057.jpg

This might take a couple of attempts to get it aligned & synched up properly. Double-check this by adjusting the crown to make sure the movement winds, and reset the date & time if necessary. Now simply, reattach the caseback:

IMG_0060-1.jpg

Your CGs should now look complete!

IMG_0080-1.jpg

Next up, changing the bezel insert (and pearl).

All reps come with inserts that aren't seated properly, and all have incorrect pearls. The colored bezel insert (in this case black with silver lettering) should sit slightly below the steel lip of the bezel itself. Observe the genuine:

16600BFULL.jpg

For this modification, you will need a good bezel insert (available from many sources, but the one I find the most accurate is listed below), another sheet of 150 grit sandpaper, some Gorilla brand glue, and a sewing needle.

Here's the link for your insert needs:

http://24.227.47.211/adn62/pc-177-32-ge ... rolex.aspx

And here's how your watch's needs break down, by part #:

I believe the older/vintage subs take the 315-5513-1-I

New Sea Dwellers take the 315-16660-1-I

Modern Subs take the 315-16800-1-I

LV subs take the 315-16800-GRN-I

TT blue subs take the 315-16808-2-I

and TT black subs take the 315-16808-1-I

The rest are self-explanatory. I prefer this site because they seem to have the crispest, thinnest print (much better than jewelery outlet & closest to the genuine), and the pearl is even better than watchmaterial.com.

Start by getting a parring knife and popping the pearl off of your watch's current insert. You can use either a small 1.4mm screwdriver or the tip of a knife blade to remove the old bezel insert by the hole the pearl left behind. Discard both; you won't need them.

Most genuine and aftermarket bezel inserts don't perfectly fit replica watches, so some minor adjustments have to be done.

First, start by sanding the underside of the new bezel insert. Place the sheet of sandpaper, grit side up, on the table. Take note of which numbers are where on the insert when you start sanding--your fingers should be 30 minutes apart (i.e., holding the insert at the 0 and 30 minute markers, or the 15 and 45 minute markers). Gently, but firmly, sand the bottom of the insert in back & forth motions, moving left to right.

IMG_0003-5.jpg

You will have to use some pressure to get the insert to stick to your hand while sanding, but not so much that you squish the insert; this will not only make the insert wider by flattening it, it will not sit in the bezel properly, and it will also make the crystal look to tall. Only make about 10 or 15 swipes, then move the insert & start again. Move the insert in your hand another 5 minutes marker, every time you stop (i.e. hold it at 0 & 30, make 10-15 swipes, then hold it at 5 & 35, then sand again, then hold it at 10 7 40 and sand again, etc.):

IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0006-4.jpg

IMG_0005-5.jpg

Underneath, you'll start to notice the paint coming off and the steel showing through; this is normal. Here you can see where not enough sanding has been done, as there are areas where the metal is more prevalent , which means that these parts of the insert will sit lower than where the paint still exists, which will sit higher & uneven:

IMG_0008-1.jpg

Continue sanding until all sides are even:

IMG_0023-1.jpg

Take note of the front as you sand--make sure you're not sanding too thin.

Next, check to see if the insert sits correctly in the bezel:

IMG_0021-1.jpg

It doesn't look like it, so we'll have to sand the edges too. You'll also notice the sides of the insert still have paint on them, as they have not been sanded:

IMG_0017-1.jpg

As opposed to one that has been sanded:

IMG_0018-4.jpg

Start by holding the insert vertically, and gently begin sanding the sides by holding the insert steady place with your fingers, but rubbing the length of the insert that's showing, along the sandpaper in a straight line:

IMG_0013-3.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

Sand in the same manner as you sanded the bottom, stopping after every 5 or 6 passes, to hold the insert another 5 minute marker down, and repeat the process by making 5 or 6 passes across the sandpaper with the new side of the bezel exposed (i.e., if you're holding it at the 0 & 30 markers, as you can see form the pics above, 40-50 will be the portion sanded). Continue this process all the way around the insert, making 5 or 6 passes between each 5 minute marker. Keep double-checking this sizing to see how it sits in the bezel. It's ready when it just squeezes in and sits just a hair below the lip, like this:

IMG_0069.jpg

Now you're ready to glue. Gorilla glue expands to 2 or 3 times its size when curing, so only a modicum of glue is needed. One drop on a piece of paper is sufficient; you'll still have 99% of it left when you're done:

IMG_0095.jpg

Apply the smallest of drops to the end of the sewing needle, by poking the tip into the drop of glue:

IMG_0099.jpg

Then apply it to the bottom of the insert every centimeter or so:

IMG_0102.jpg

Place the insert into the bezel, making sure to align it as close as possible to perfect--paying close attention to where the pearl is, in relation to the 12 o'clock marker on the dial, 15 minute marker, 45 minute marker, and so on:

IMG_0009-3.jpg

If any glue seeps out over the edge of the bezel insert, simply clean it off by dipping the end of a cotton swab/Q-tip in nail polish remover & wipe it off. Don't worry, the solvent wont damage or discolor the insert. Once it's seated properly, lay it to rest on a counter (dial side facing straight up), and don't touch it for 2 hours, in order to give it time to dry. Gorilla glue dries & stabilizes in 2 hours, but takes 24 hours to completely cure, so don't get the watch wet for at least 24 hours after application.

As a finishing touch, if you wish to slightly round the edges of the bracelet in order to make it look closer to the gen, simply use a nail-file or Emery board to smooth the edges down:

IMG_0046.jpg

Now that you have all of these accomplished successfully , your watch is now damn near spot on to the gen! Have a look at the gen:

16600BFULL.jpg

And now our finished product:

IMG_0017.jpg

Absolutely perfect! Hope this will help you & your watches.

Thanks, and take care.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
WOW! Excellent tutorial with pics! One of the most basic mods on problably the most popular rep out there in great step by step form.

Thank you and looking foward to "more"!

I wish I could do that kind of tutorial, stopping to take pics in the middle of my work is just not on my mind. Explaining the work performed is an art in of itself.
Thank you again! I have been invigorated to start my BR 01-92 caseback mod and putty movement holder tutorial.

jb

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
7/9/06
Great post Gio. It's good to see you on the board again.

We'll sticky this one for a bit. :D

Natron

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
11/10/06
i did the same thing last week but used a file. I put a file end into the tube and backed it out. I didnt want to take any chances nicking the tube since I used a file.

Natron

jkwhyd

30/5/07
Thanks for a great post. Now I'll just have to summon up the courage to do it myself.

jk

stevie7s

Known Member
5/10/06
Gio, If I got a vote, I would say that this is the Post of the Month.

Thanks very much.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
WOW! That answered some questions I was planning on asking. Just one more. Whern you add the silicone, do you just put it on the top or down the whole thing including the gasket?

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
Silicon grease is applied evenly to all sides of the gaskets, not the metal. (The picture is just for illustration purposes)

Xyphis

4/10/07
Just awesome.

I think this is one of the most useful posts I have ever seen in the replica forums.

All I need now is the courage to try this :wink:

JohnnySac

10/9/06
Gio you funny guy! I never knew you were so articulate..
Excellent work. Now I have one more question..

Is it possibe to machine the SEL's so that they contour lower than the watch case as per Gen. if you look closely on the SSD that one side is a tad higher, on mine it's the left side that is lower. ?

JohnnySac

10/9/06
I'd hate to disagree with a WIS like yourself because your knowledge is pretty overwhelming but..........

IMG_0100-1.jpg

On a Gen the End link contours more than on the Rep, I hope you see what I see in your picture that you took.

If you were to lay your watch down and take a picture with a side view, showing the He valve, and focus on the SEL you'd see it rises towards the highlighted part in the above pic rather than recede.

Reactions: Captainunderpants

JohnnySac

10/9/06
Here is a view of the endlink adjacent of the one in the pic 12 O-Clock side
IMG_0046.jpg

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
If you look close, that pic is of a SS Noobmariner, actually. I had already polished the SD bracelet and didn't have a pic of it.

The pictures I posted of the SD show the SELs are recessed. :)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
very nice job with great pics...Thanks gioarmani for taking the time.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Another awesome tutorial! Thanks for a taking the time to educate us!