• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How many wind = full wind in A6497 ?

phc24

Horology Curious
25/6/16
Hi, can any expert help me ? I am a noob in watch and recently just bought a pam112 with 6497, 21600 beat, but I do not know when to stop winding it, i usually stop winding it ( around 40 turn ) when the crown start to kick back ( some pressure ), is it correct ? I do not dare to wind anymore because I scare i might break the movement. But the power reserve is only 12 hours.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Your movement likely needs to be serviced -- you should get about 42-48 hours out of an A6497. Good news is you're doing it right on the winding. Stop when you feel resistance and 40 turns is about right.

Zeinharis

I'm Pretty Popular
17/1/16
Winding it until you can't go further, if it's fully wound it will be hard for you to wind it and you'll going to need extra force to over wind the 6497.

About the PR, if you have fully wound the movt and still getting <20hours of PR, then you have a mainspring problem.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

phc24

Horology Curious
25/6/16
I just get the watch brand new from toro, i tried to wind 50 times just now from dead stop, and i think i able to wind more , just abit resistance from the crown. I saw from some web some 6497 can wind until 80 turns

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
PAM s have this crown guard which alters the distance the crown will turn. I'd say mine is in the neighborhood of 40 until resistance is met. If you push beyond that you can damage the movement or snap the stem, so you are right to stop. I see 40+ hours. Sounds like you need a service. The good news is that these are relatively simple movements so the cost of service is not too bad. After service, you should be good as these are considered durable workhorse movements.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
U stop only when u cannot wind any further. Resistance will increase as u wind but u can wind until you cannot wind anymore. It Shld giv 40-48 hrs at full

Sent using Tapatalk

phc24

Horology Curious
25/6/16
U stop only when u cannot wind any further. Resistance will increase as u wind but u can wind until you cannot wind anymore. It Shld giv 40-48 hrs at full

Sent using Tapatalk

OK, so i should wind until i cannot wind any further. I tried to wind up to 50 turn and still able to wind but with resistance, so i decided to stop . will try it but i scare i will break the movement. haha.

Zeinharis

I'm Pretty Popular
17/1/16
OK, so i should wind until i cannot wind any further. I tried to wind up to 50 turn and still able to wind but with resistance, so i decided to stop . will try it but i scare i will break the movement. haha.

One step of a time mate, let's see how much PR does the 50 turns of winding can holdup.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
The number of turns is relative as I run my thumb along the top so I get close to a full rotation of the crown per wind. The crown guard definitely affects how I wind it. When I first got it I was afraid and did baby spins and it probably took me 80 or do, but I was spinning the crown maybe 1/4 rotation per pass. The key is to not force it. There will be a sudden and marked increase in resistance when it is fully wound. Let us know how long your watch runs... Hopefully you just did not wind it enough.

Eulise

Renowned Member
7/5/16
Just wind it until you are unable to wind it anymore. No worries about breaking the movement by overwinding the movement as for that to happen, you have to use pliers and a hell lot of dedication.

phc24

Horology Curious
25/6/16
The number of turns is relative as I run my thumb along the top so I get close to a full rotation of the crown per wind. The crown guard definitely affects how I wind it. When I first got it I was afraid and did baby spins and it probably took me 80 or do, but I was spinning the crown maybe 1/4 rotation per pass. The key is to not force it. There will be a sudden and marked increase in resistance when it is fully wound. Let us know how long your watch runs... Hopefully you just did not wind it enough.

Ya. I can hear 2-3 click sound per rotation of my thumb along to the top of cg. so that not a full rotation. probably just 1/2 or 1/4

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Ya. I can hear 2-3 click sound per rotation of my thumb along to the top of cg. so that not a full rotation. probably just 1/2 or 1/4

I just checked....I get about 8 clicks running my thumb along the crown guard to wind it.

phc24

Horology Curious
25/6/16
I just checked....I get about 8 clicks running my thumb along the crown guard to wind it.

so yours is around 8 click per wind , around 80 wind to fully wind the watch ? I tried mine yesterday around 50 wind of 3 click per wind, the power reserve is around 15 hours.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
48.5 semi-rotations with a minimum of thumb pressure to the crown. 15 foot-pounds of torque should do it.

Pretty sure this spec is in the enclosed quick start guide for all manual Chinese movements.

:dry:

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
48.5 semi-rotations with a minimum of thumb pressure to the crown. 15 foot-pounds of torque should do it.

Pretty sure this spec is in the enclosed quick start guide for all manual Chinese movements.

:dry:

But did you check the rotary girder??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
But did you check the rotary girder??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Italian calipers, yes. The tolerances are correct after it is fully engorged.

Edit: be mindful of the pallet spoon's alignment with the escape hatch. Realignment is not for the faint-hearted.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
so yours is around 8 click per wind , around 80 wind to fully wind the watch ? I tried mine yesterday around 50 wind of 3 click per wind, the power reserve is around 15 hours.
After about 30 hours of run time, it took me 24 winds at about 8 clicks per wind to hit resistance.

phc24

Horology Curious
25/6/16
After about 30 hours of run time, it took me 24 winds at about 8 clicks per wind to hit resistance.

Resistance means totally unable to wind anymore ? or the crown kickback pressure getting stronger ?

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
Just wind it until you are unable to wind it anymore. No worries about breaking the movement by overwinding the movement as for that to happen, you have to use pliers and a hell lot of dedication.

^^^ This. It will be really hard to break an A6487 by overwinding. Just wind it until you cannot wind anymore. Just do it slower as you progress.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Resistance means totally unable to wind anymore ? or the crown kickback pressure getting stronger ?

Until you have to apply significantly more force (IE unable to wind without feeling like you will break it). The crown will snap back with each wind, that is normal and you will meet some resistance as you wind it in part due to the spring in the winding mechanism. As you are winding it, you will suddenly notice a significant, exponential, increase in resistance where you pretty much cannot wind it beyond. This is where you stop. These are durable movements and it is difficult, but still possible, to break if you force it too much. This being said, do not be afraid to wind it and use a little force. If the crown is still turning, then you can still wind. Just like when using a screw driver, there may be varying amounts of resistance, but when it is tight, there will be a sudden exponential increase in resistance.