• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How difficult is it to speed up/regulate a SH3132 movement?

KilowattHour

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/19
I just got an OP 114300 ARF with a SH3132 movement. A great looking watch, but I noticed that it loses time a bit more than I'd like. Using a timegrapher software, I've found out that when laying flat, it loses 10s/d, when placed crown up, it's -20s a day, and with crown down, -25s a day. While just wearing it, I see around -20s/d, which seems a bit much. Is it difficult to adjust this movement to run a bit faster? Does it have the same gen-like system with those tiny screws on the balance wheel, or is it something simple like moving a single screw, or pushing a small lever? Even if it's simple to do, should I bother trying, or should I send it for service - I know that it's generally not a good sign when the movement is losing this much time?

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
I'd say with access to a functioning timegrapher software you can have a try, you have to loosen the marked screw a bit and then slightly, but really slightly (!!) move the marked lever away from the other one, this will shorten the effective spring length and speed it up. Don't touch the other lever because this changes the position of the spring and has effect on the Beat Error. When done, don't forget to tighten the screw again.

Reactions: miscusi

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
I'd say with access to a functioning timegrapher software you can have a try, you have to loosen the marked screw a bit and then slightly, but really slightly (!!) move the marked lever away from the other one, this will shorten the effective spring length and speed it up. Don't touch the other lever because this changes the position of the spring and has effect on the Beat Error. When done, don't forget to tighten the screw again.

Thats really good! thank you!

Reactions: BiH855

KilowattHour

18/4/19

Thank you so much! That seems easy enough for me to try.

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC

about getting the back open.. rolex back tool, I find that putting the jar opener grip rubber sheet in between the tool and the caseback helps prevent scratches from slippage.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18

The mechanics are easy but it's going to take time and care to execute. When miscusi says move it a small amount - for a 10-20 sec adjustment think less than 1mm movement.

Give it a full wind, let it settle, and take a reading on your timegrapher before doing anything. When you move that lever, apply pressure in line with the rotation of the lever, NOT diagonally downward. Don't touch the balance spring. Avoid touching the other lever (it controls the beat error). After each adjustment, let it settle then check on the timegrapher. If it's consistently losing 20-seconds a day, aim to adjust the lever to give you a reading of 20-seconds greater than your preliminary reading.

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
about getting the back open.. rolex back tool, I find that putting the jar opener grip rubber sheet in between the tool and the caseback helps prevent scratches from slippage.

good you mentioned that, pretty easy to slip when opening by hand !

Reactions: miscusi

KilowattHour

18/4/19
I was going to try the rubber ball first, and then if that doesn't work, to try to use the bespoke tool. Do you think it is going to be fruitless to even try the rubber ball? The rubber sheet that you've suggested - I assume it should be a thinner one? I see these sheets being sold in various thickness.

Last edited:

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
All I was saying is that the tool I had been using for over 20 years, sometimes slips and mar the caseback. so I put this piece of green rubbery jar opener grip sheet in between, the tool still gets a good solid grip on that coin edge thingy, no marks on the caseback...

ZQjrIs.jpg
ZQjtdY.jpg

Last edited:

gindiesel

12/10/20
Canada
I grabbed a rubber ball from my nephew. Works perfectly. It's a sticky, cheap ball, feels more like vinyl than rubber.

hotdogs72

Looking Around
17/5/21
It seems I'm about 6 months late to this party, but I appreciate the information. I've been thinking about buying a watch with an SH3132 movement, but am concerned about how to regulate it if needed. Nice to know it's relatively simple. Thanks for the information guys.