• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Caseback opener...

jacoo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/12/08
Ive seen a video on youtube to open a caseback using just a pair of scissors:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktvccgi-Low"]YouTube- How To Clean The Inside of Your Rolex Watch[/nomedia]

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
Thanks Fiddo, I ordered one of these, should be in the mail in the next few days... I was just wondering about this tool in case I have some tough ones to open. I have heard that scratching is a problem with metal ones...

Not sure I could use scissors like that on my babies, haha, but an interesting trick nonetheless jacoo, thanks for sharing too!

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
It is the bare minimum to get things done. To do it right you need a Openall case opener.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

This case will open Rolex, but it´s not very steady and will scratch the caseback very often.
You will have to find your way to get it better on the caseback grooves and not let they slip and scratch everything around.

Best thing still is to buy a bergeon (or similar) tool.

Cheers,
Spirit.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
What you realy want is a specific Rolex opener. If a sticky ball won't open it chances are that a Jaxa style will slip and scratch. You one of these: http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=50 From Watchbitz, our forum tool dealer. Watchbitz has all the tools you will ever need at great prices. Be careful when buying Rolex case openers, a lot of them are not made to the correct tolerence and will slip. The Watchbitz one was sourced in person by offshore on one of his buying trips to GZ.

Col.

melswatch

I'm Pretty Popular
21/5/10
My first post!

I found something else that works great for a case back remover as well - a stress ball!
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CAHDH6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=d8a1fc7e-45fc-4031-9df9-dd5d44e1bd0d&attrMsgId=LPWidget-A2&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000EEAX68&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NBTWGG5KW4SAKEJJSSS"]Amazon.com: Iron Gloves Grip Balls: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

This opens up with both my rep Breitling and Sub with no problems!

Plus if something were to go horribly wrong, you already have a stress ball right there to help you deal with it...

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
D

d4m.test

Col:

I read that Watches Biz is for wholesale watch dealers and collectors; I was going to registere with them until I read this. In your experience, does WatchBiz allow sales to private collectors like me?

Thanks for the help!

dave

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
A sticky ball will work in some cases but not all . So I use a Rolex open all, especially when resealing case backs .

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
Col:

I read that Watches Biz is for wholesale watch dealers and collectors; I was going to registere with them until I read this. In your experience, does WatchBiz allow sales to private collectors like me?

Thanks for the help!

dave

Dave,
I can assure you that if you register at Watch Bitz, and quote RWI as your intro, you will receive exactly the same pricing as the watchsmiths and dealers do.
This is only for members of the rep fora.
All other "normal" registrations receive the basic price which can be seen on the site, prior to registration, which is the "retail" price to the public.
Offshore