• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hi to all!

bebo

Horology Curious
5/2/23
Germany
Hey there, I just wanted to say a quick "Hi" to all here and give my appreciation to you all as this forum and all the knowledge really helped me to settle as I have been looking around for a while to find a way to really get what I pay for. The story is that I am looking for excellent Reps for some Rolex models to wear on a daily basis instead of wearing my Original ones every day. Since I do a lot of travelling I am always afraid of people stealing the expensive Gens so I thought wearing a Rep instead would be a good choice. One day in Paris I remember when a really friendly street artist aproached me and involved me in a discussion and on my way home I realized that my Rolex GMT II was gone... So "Hi" to all here and please keep up the good work!

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Hi and welcome to RWI!
About your story, just... ouch! Feel bad for you.
You definitely are in the right place, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for and like it a lot. Take your time to browse the new members area to check out all the stickies, lots of useful info and some rules that are good to know here.
Regarding the replacement of gens with reps to avoid mugging, well, it's unlikely (read: impossible) your casual felon on the street will notice any difference, so you'll be exposed to the same risk. The pain will just be minor.
If you need anything, shout out.
Enjoy your stay!

bebo

Horology Curious
5/2/23
Germany
Thx Feefo - yes, I know that the "risk" would be the same but at least THE PAIN would be less when you go home after having a great evening and then discover that you watch is gone :) This pain will then be on the side of the bandits in case they will ever find out that they just stole a Rep :) lol
As per my experience in Paris - I never felt unsafe ... I even did not notice that they just stole my watch until I was back in the hotel...

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Welcome To The Team GIF by MOODMAN

Hi, have fun on RWI!

Sad about the Paris story. I will be in Paris next week, and like to Barcelona, London and other few select cities in the US and EU, I will never take my gens to Paris. So far, I never had any problems ... but I'm very safety conscious, so I just bring my reps. But I respect folks who don't think it's necessary. I just see it as a precaution.

In other cities like Lisbon or all cities in Switzerland for example, I don't see the necessity to be precautious and wear gens.

It's really sad that we got to this point, but I think it was inevitable with social media extremely boosting awareness about the financial value of certain luxury wristwatches in the last 10+ years. Perhaps other factors also contributed, but I somehow feel that Instagram didn't help in the situation. 😂

bebo

Horology Curious
5/2/23
Germany
Welcome To The Team GIF by MOODMAN

Hi, have fun on RWI!

Sad about the Paris story. I will be in Paris next week, and like to Barcelona, London and other few select cities in the US and EU, I will never take my gens to Paris. So far, I never had any problems ... but I'm very safety conscious, so I just bring my reps. But I respect folks who don't think it's necessary. I just see it as a precaution.

In other cities like Lisbon or all cities in Switzerland for example, I don't see the necessity to be precautious and wear gens.

It's really sad that we got to this point, but I think it was inevitable with social media extremely boosting awareness about the financial value of certain luxury wristwatches in the last 10+ years. Perhaps other factors also contributed, but I somehow feel that Instagram didn't help in the situation. 😂
Hi there - I so much agree. Be even more careful when on the famous "la rambla" street in Barcelona.. I felt highly unsafe there last year at night and there are pick pockets everywhere. Barcelona is probably Nr. 1 heaven for pickpockets on earth. One of my friends got robbed twice in one week on daylight. Once when he was walking down the La Rambla street for shopping.. Teenagers just grabbed his Iphone13 while he was on the phone and ran... The day after he was during the day riding on a public bus and when the doors opened for the next stop a guy ran by, grabbed his gen Rolex, ripped it off his wrist and took off...
I personally feel much safer (pain wise) when wearing reps instead of gens when travelling or even when going out at night even here ein Germany.
Cheers

Reactions: eBoy

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I actually decided to takr one of my slightly pricier gens to Paris anyway. But only because I realized that it's still sweater/wintercoat time and it's going to be covered out in the streets. I still wouldn't bring a 100k Patek or ALS, but fortunately I don't have to worry about that due to the lack of owning such an outrageously expensive piece. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Feefo

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Hi there - I so much agree. Be even more careful when on the famous "la rambla" street in Barcelona.. I felt highly unsafe there last year at night and there are pick pockets everywhere. Barcelona is probably Nr. 1 heaven for pickpockets on earth.
Barcelona is such a beautiful city, it's a real shame. I think it is Barcelona where gangs, explicitly specializing in high-value watch robberies, are currently most active and notorious.

You'd need to be really ballsy to openly wear something really valuable like an AP worth 60+k, let alone a 500k Richard Mille, at night in La Rambla, all by yourself, especially if there's anything about you that may give potential perps the impression that you're an easy target.