• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help getting gasket back into bezel for BB58!

mrbrown0916

Certified
24/1/15
Bezel popped off a few weeks ago. I can get the gasket back into the bezel for the life of me. I don't even know where to purchase a decent replacement given the look of the current gasket. Any help appreciated!!!

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
I had this problem with another BB smiley. That gasket sits in a groove on the bezel, it can’t have any rough spots or kinks. The watch head needs the springs, then the click, then the flat washer installed before you press the bezel fitted with the gasket down over the whole thing. If anything is not sitting flat and seated it won’t go on without bending the gasket out of shape.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This is easier to do with the insert removed but of course that adds the extra tasks of its removal and replacement.

So try this

Cut the tip off a round toothpick so the whole diameter of it is available at one end. Sand it a little to remove sharp edges or splinters.

Place a part of the gasket in the groove. Hold the bezel on edge. Use the toothpick to fully seat the gasket as you rotate the bezel around. Press down hard but be careful not to push laterally into the insert.

When you get near the end a small section will pucker inward and it will look like it's too long. Push the middle of the puckered loop down into the groove. Often it will try to pop out a little on either side. This is why it's easier to do with the insert out - you can hold or tape the area down on either or both sides of the pucker. Eventually the goal is to get the pucker into an "M" shape, basically two smaller puckers. These can usually then be forced home.

If you can't get it done, it's OK to cut a small section of the gasket away. I've used a lot of different techniques repairing bezel gaskets and even 3 separate sections of gaskets works fine. I use fishline regularly and it always has a break in it. So don't worry about that.

Good luck

Reactions: Spoons

iamxd

9/8/17
Europe
Any idea where one could source a new gasket for the BB58 or even a complete bezel assembly?

Unfortunately my TD cant help me out on that.