• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help educate me. What movements can/can't use dial dots

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Which dials can/can't use dial dots without modifying anything? I am still learning a lot and read some movements require a dial spacer which means dial dots won't work if the dial feet are not there. Want to start making some vintage style dials.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
In general, dial dots work best on no date models. The spacer is required to provide clearance for date wheel operation- but you can use dial dots on top of the spacer for date movements. I usually use a couple of half dial dots on the side of the movement to fix the spacer in place, then an array of eight half dial dots on top of the spacer to mount the dial.

Last edited:
Reactions: ward1991

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
In general, dial dots work best on no date models. The spacer is required to provide clearance for date wheel operation- but you can use dial dots on top of the spacer for date movements. I usually use a couple of half dial dots on the side of the movement to fix the spacer in place, then an array of eight half dial dots on top of the spacer to mount the dial.
So really no issue with dial dots on any movement then?

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
I’ve never had a problem with them, once the movement is mounted in the case and is under pressure from the clamps they are pretty stable.
I do prefer feet, but I’m not a purist when it comes to rep builds.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
If we are are talking about an alternative to dial dots, glued feet and a lightly glued dial spacer is a nice method. More work and a little more involved. But makes for a pretty solid assembly.

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
If we are are talking about an alternative to dial dots, glued feet and a lightly glued dial spacer is a nice method. More work and a little more involved. But makes for a pretty solid assembly.
Best solutions indeed.