• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BRM Watches...what do you guys think? Rep worthy?

Defacto

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/9/06
I'll be honest...I never took any kind of serious look at BRM watches. I wrote them off as yet another company trying to cash in on the luxury watch boom, taking an angle of entry by using an acronym that CONVENIENTLY happens to be the same as that of a legendary automotive racing team. The fact that all of their designs are either automotive/or race themed only furthered my convictions, and general disdain for their brash decision to soil the sanctity of that name for monetary gain. Also, the thumbnails of the watches I saw of theirs didn't impress me either...they looked gimmicky and very "of the times" watches, something that would be completely out of style within 2 years...another nail in the coffin.

Then, as I'm flipping through the October issue of WatchTime, on page 103, there is a picture of a PVD/RG chronograph that caught my eye...named the SP-44 BN-OR. Yes, you've guessed it, it's a BRM. PVD case, rose gold lugs, chrono pushers and crown, indices, numerals and hands and a black dial...this thing looked sharp! I do think that some of the other SP-44s are gimmicky (the orange one, to be specific), but for some reason, the BN-OR looked very sharp to me. In doing my 'net research on them, I found that I really didn't like any of their other designs...except for one. The R50-TN will probably be something that I would not want to own in 3 years, but man does it look different, and I would certainly enjoy having one in the meantime. That said, I think it would be next to impossible to expect them to make a halfway acceptable rep of this one. Anyway, I'll stop yacking and post up the pics I found of the SP-44 (not the BN-OR) and some of the R50-TNs. What do you guys think of these? Would you wear a rep of the SP-44 BN-OR, or the R50 if possible?

PS...just because I like the designs doesn't change the fact that I still think they're selling out the name of a legend. :p

SP-44 BN-OR
1297027gross.jpg

SP-44 BN-CAB (I'd enjoy a rep of this one too, the BN-OR just looks cooler in my opinion)
1297040gross.jpg

SP-44 BN-CAO (I really don't like this one, but I'm sure somebody will!)

1297041gross.jpg

R-5O-TN AR
1297029gross.jpg

R-50 TN AJ
1297028gross.jpg

R-50 TN AO
1297030gross.jpg

R-50 General Detail Shots
1297030b.jpg

1297028b.jpg

1297029b.jpg

(is it me, or does it seem like those fins aren't machined too well, and that there's some dust inside the movement in the last pic?

Anyway, I thought people might be interested to see these, and I'm certainly interested to see what people think of this watch!

Defacto

19/9/06
Agreed. They are extremely unique! If only the rep makers could produce something close to it. Perhaps I don't have enough faith in their ability to reproduce something like this, but the cost in doing so would probably make us all think that the Ceramic/RG HBB was a bargain... :( I can dream, though...

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
no way! the rep factories will prob do a horrible job at repping the skeleton power reserve..i'd rather they spend the time and money on perfecting the sub or other simpler pieces that are easier to rep..

:)

Defacto

19/9/06
I don't disagree at all that the factories will probably do a horrible job repping the R-50. It was more the SP-44 that I was curious if people would be interested in seeing repped; that's the only one I could see the factories getting right. That said, it would be great seeing the factories perfecting classics...I really want to see a truly perfect Navitimer...but I can wish, can't i? ;)

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
azgjav said:
no way! the rep factories will prob do a horrible job at repping the skeleton power reserve..i'd rather they spend the time and money on perfecting the sub or other simpler pieces that are easier to rep..

:)

+1

A replica of this would make you [smilie=icon_puke_l.gif]

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
They are unique that is for sure. I am not sure if I really like them or not. They are probably the type of watches that I would need to see in person to fall in love with and then lust after. Nice though.