• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is this Panerai sacrilege???

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I took off the original hour and minute hands that were on this watch and put on pocketwatch hands. Now I just need to find a second hand LoL...Is this sacrilege or does it look ok??? Feel free to comment or flame : )

Pannienewhands003Large.jpg

Pannienewhands004Large.jpg

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
LOL WHY?!

I guess to each their own! ;)

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
For me it would be too pocket-watchy. But then kudos for trying it - if you like it, you have a truly individual watch ;)

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Will a sec hand from a molnija work? I might have one. Might LOL

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Will a sec hand from a molnija work? I might have one. Might LOL

Hmm I don't know if the molnija would work. It just might though. I'll have to dig around and see I can't find something. Thanks for the suggestion.

I originally bought this watch from a member who couldnt get it to work, so in addition to doing the canon pin change to it's had a lot of reincarnations.

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
looks kind of good, with the white dial...
But not my taste.
regards

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
OH MY GOD YES!

My eyes!

Kind of reminded me of this.......you asked BTW ;)

pink_bugatti_veyron.jpg

Now that is honest to goodness sacrilege...But even a pink Bugatti is still a Bugatti.

hubrisin

22/4/08
I say no, and I will abstain from my usual sarcasm and ridicule in favor of a more balance explanation from the perspective of an Industrial Designer. By installing pocket watch hands are traditional and does not keep with the modern aesthetic of the PAM, thus aesthetic is disrupted and doesn't "flow" and the design is out of place.

But, what the Hell do I know? I've seen a guy on Risti gut a 114, he removed the dial and install skeleton movement, now that looked like complete dog-shit. Overall your mod is a preference thing which doesn't look bad. I've done it to other watches, I tend to keep modern with modern so everything jives.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
...the modern aesthetic of the PAM, QUOTE]

The modern aesthetic of PAM??? You MUST be joking, right? :biglaugh:
What is it about this design that says "modern"? ...OR aesthetics???:
images

I personally LIKE the pocket watch hands on the Pam, Cybee. Pams in basic design ARE exactly like the pocket watches of old
images

with very little changes to the dial, and only changes to the case and crown guard to make it into a wrist watch.

Trust me - I really like some Pams... including the 2 I have. But I don't get the holy reverence some people give them. I think your tinkering improved that watch.

exeekias

24/11/08
Oh dear. If horologie unitas is still around here you'd better hope he doesn't see that, lol :). It's certainly unique, and all that matters is if you like it. Not for me though.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Haha that pic is funny. Thanks LMR. I actually think the black hands go well with the white dial. I guess if someone can gut a gen 114, then I can do a little aesthetic disruption on a $65 rep.

Speaking of horologie_unitas, I spoke with him about a month ago. I need to call him again and get him back in here. I really miss his sarcasm. If he see's this I'm sure he will say something LoL.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Sterilize the dial and see what it looks like?

I like it. Maybe because I don't worship at the Panerai altar.

Have any cathedral hands?