• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Guys looking for Cubans in the US

ElVino

Renowned Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
1/7/11
I have been off RWI for a little while now since I can't seem to be on the forum without emptying my damn wallet. However I have noticed many people in the cigar section asking about acquiring authentic Cuban cigars in the US. I've seen several lackluster answers provided to our fellow brothers of the leaf and I also see the possibility of those who are eager to get their hands on Cubans being scammed or ripped off. It's a shame, I know, but it happens in the watch marketplace and I see no reason as to why it can't happen here through PM. As a result I would like to encourage those of you fellow American BOTL to please check out Reddit as some very simple search bar use will give you all the answers you need as well as countless individuals, like myself, who can give insight as to which websites are best and why. Lastly I would like to simply state that I'm in no way shape or form associated with anyone who sells Cuban cigars. I simply want everyone to be able to enjoy a great cigar.

Cheers guys and happy smoking

https://m.reddit.com/r/cubancigars/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I may be one of the lackluster respondors, to which you refer, but I still stand by the idea that Nicaraguans and some Dominicans today are as good if not better that Cubans in terms of roll quality, tobacco consistency and wrapper application -- not to mention ease of availability.

Interesting to see if the warming of relations with the US & Cuba will improve the roll quality of Cubans moving forward. Assuming of course the trademark and copyright issues can be resolved -- I'd love to be a mergers & acquisitions attorney in the Caribbean -- could be some fun times ahead for those chaps, especially if Altadis gets its hands on the old brands. That house has needed a reboot for a decade ...

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I may be one of the lackluster respondors, to which you refer, but I still stand by the idea that Nicaraguans and some Dominicans today are as good if not better that Cubans in terms of roll quality, tobacco consistency and wrapper application -- not to mention ease of availability.

Interesting to see if the warming of relations with the US & Cuba will improve the roll quality of Cubans moving forward. Assuming of course the trademark and copyright issues can be resolved -- I'd love to be a mergers & acquisitions attorney in the Caribbean -- could be some fun times ahead for those chaps, especially if Altadis gets its hands on the old brands. That house has needed a reboot for a decade ...

I couldn't agree more! I order from all fronts. Hell, I had a Philippine cigar last February and I thought it was one of the best cigars I've had in 2016.

If you want to order Cubans, use http://www.cigarsofhabanos.com (Ravi is the guys name) You won't get ripped off and hes reasonable. You need to be patient though.

Happy smokin! :)

ProGun

Horology Curious
28/1/16
Ravi is solid. Guaranteed shipments, too. Yeah, shipments have been slow lately. My last box took over 30 days...longest I've seen in probably 20+ orders.

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
On the Mighty Mississippi
I've been smoking cigars since way before they went through their "Cool" period. I suffered through those couple of years when prices were crazy stock was limited, and new companies were popping up like dandelions!! I was finding a few Cubans back then, usually bought when I traveled to Europe. About 6-7 years ago, I found this site http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/ . I ordered a couple of boxes and found that they were very good, realistically priced, and the owner guarantees delivery. I can truthfully say I have gotten probably 25 boxes over the past 6-7 years and I haven't been disappointed. They are located in Australia. The owner travels to Cuba a couple of times a year and seems to have a very good rapport with the manufacturers. What I really like about this site is they run specials every week, with hand selected cigars for sale along with a really good description and critique of each offering. This site is owned and run by Cigar smokers. I can recommend them to folks here in the USA who don't have a source in Cuba.
Finally, I am very afraid that when the USA is able to import cigars legally, and this may take several more years, the demand is going to create a problem similar to what happened a few years back during the Cigar "Craze". The Cubans like everyone else were trying to rush product to market to satisfy distributors and retailers. Consequently, the quality went way down, both the tobacco as well as the roll quality. For those of us who went through this period of absolutely miserable but expensive cigars, we hope it never happens again.

Rush

I'm Pretty Popular
29/5/16
CONUS
Agree that there are alot of quality non-Cuban cigars such as Padron Anniversario, Fuente Opus X, etc

ElVino

Renowned Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
1/7/11

I totally agree with that. I prefer Nicaraguan cigars personally! Cubans are good and I enjoy a good habano however finding one that's exceptional in quality isn't the easiest thing to do with their lack of QC. Regions all over the world produce incredible tobacco these days.

ElVino

Renowned Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
1/7/11
Also I do most of my habano shopping through FOH and ihabanos with great success when ever I have the need for some Cubans

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
I cant speak highly enough of Ravi who was referred above.

He has replaced broken / cracked cigars in the past and always guaranteed shipments.

silverfox47

Renowned Member
Certified
9/2/15
Cali
Also I do most of my habano shopping through FOH and ihabanos with great success when ever I have the need for some Cubans

Thanks for turning me on to FOH. I just dropped a little over a grand for a dozen top cubans that I usually get within 2 weeks.