• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Super Ocean Steel fish_ swiss eta or asian?

Malo17

Horology Curious
1/9/08
OK, so i know what watch i want. The SOSF with the white dial. The only problem is that i don't know if i want to get the one with the Asian parts or spend the extra money for the Swiss parts. since this is my first rep i would tend to stay on the less expensive side till i get the hang of this stuff. Would i see that much of a difference?

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
I've been told from those who claim they know that the "Swiss" (not really Swiss but better machined Chinese parts in actualality) may be better in the long run. Cost wise I'd go with the Asian movement. Actually in the case of the SOSF I did. From Ruby. :D

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Well if you go swiss, you stand a better chance at longevity and reliability. HOWEVER.....a swiss moveemtn will cost you to get fixed or derviced. My feeling now is, get an asian, it's chepaer to buy and movemesnts are cheap. Just do a movement sap and yourll have the dead one to screw around and experiment on. Even use it for parts. I traet the moveemtns as disposable as batteries in a quartz

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
I have a white dial asian version for sale... Check out the for sale section.

Malo17

Horology Curious
1/9/08
Thanks alot, I Think I am going to go Asian. I like the idea of working on it if it breaks, plus its not that much out of pocket. Ill check out the sale section. Thanks

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I think the SFSO swiss is the biggest rip off for the price. Insane how much money is wanted for this watch!

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
daytona4me said:
I think the SFSO swiss is the biggest rip off for the price. Insane how much money is wanted for this watch!
I am really digging this board. :D

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
daytona4me said:
what?? :lol:
Lol D4me, I think you are having a go at me here huh? That's fine...
:wink:
It's refreshing is all. There was a time in our hobby that you dare not speak against anything that was being sold actively. You post would either be pounded or, the thread would be locked. The times, they are a changin.

davebs

Known Member
2/8/07
The asian one doesn't have AR afaik. Some people say it doesn't make a difference w/ white dial, but it does. Get the swiss one, the AR is nice.

rmcraig

Known Member
17/1/07
The differnce in the AR is why I bought the Swiss version. I don't know if that has changed though with newer shipments.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
davebs said:
The asian one doesn't have AR afaik. Some people say it doesn't make a difference w/ white dial, but it does. Get the swiss one, the AR is nice.

Unless something new was released, the Asian has mineral crystal and no AR coating.

@mrzoso,

I knew there was some insight into your post.. just was not sure what angle you were hitting it at..
Indeed,, times are changing... minds are spoken without fear of retribution.. disagreements abound... to the point where there are many dead horses laying around... lol.. but you are correct.

What is funny to me is how someone can preach their opinion as gospel fact just because they have had more than 1 person agree with them at one time. lol
Opinions are like assholes,, everyone has one.. best thing we can do is have a bunch of them and let people choose which one makes more sense to them or which part of an opinion supports the ear candy they were wanting to hear at the time. :lol:
These forums create and feed the monsters... high time we realize it and do something about it. :)

Your a good old friend and I am happy to see you around more. 8)

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
daytona4me said:
davebs said:

Unless something new was released, the Asian has mineral crystal and no AR coating.

@mrzoso,

I knew there was some insight into your post.. just was not sure what angle you were hitting it at..
Indeed,, times are changing... minds are spoken without fear of retribution.. disagreements abound... to the point where there are many dead horses laying around... lol.. but you are correct.

What is funny to me is how someone can preach their opinion as gospel fact just because they have had more than 1 person agree with them at one time. lol
Opinions are like assholes,, everyone has one.. best thing we can do is have a bunch of them and let people choose which one makes more sense to them or which part of an opinion supports the ear candy they were wanting to hear at the time. :lol:
These forums create and feed the monsters... high time we realize it and do something about it. :)

Your a good old friend and I am happy to see you around more. 8)
Very kind of you. I am happy to be around now, and yes my asshole will be heard. :lol:

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
get the swiss version with the better crystal and double AR. worth the money. still only 10% of the gen......