• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Sub-Date LV

Princerai

Horology Curious
12/8/08
Hi guys,

I am new around here and would like to ask a quick question.

First of all, I am a proud new owner of a Rolex Sub LV from PT, and it looks damn good out of the box.

In terms of servicing etc, do you know any watch technicians in London who will be willing to touch a rep and who does his job well?

Or can i send my watch to somebody from the forums who is based in EU?

Kind regards,

Asim

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Is it an ETA or Asian movement? If it's an ETA I seem to remember a thread about a bloke at Piccadilly station who'll service reps, do a search and you should find it. If it's an Asian movement they're so cheap to buy that it's far more economical to swap one out with a new one than service it. Hope this helps... :)

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
I hope you find a good watch smith in your area. I agree with scone head about the secound option. I have done this a few times vs. service only. They are so darn cheap just to swap out.

Good luck, Welcome to RWI!

Matt

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
But sureley he's still going to need someone to do the swapping for him... Unless anyone knows of a beginners guide to doing this oneself? Anything like that on the forum?
Also, he might need to know where to get a replacement movement. I don't know. Does Otto Frei carry them?

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Cousins in the UK sells the DG movements as well as e-bay. If you search the forum there are tutorials on swapping out movements, that's how I learned how to do it... :)

Princerai

Horology Curious
12/8/08
Thanks for the replies guys, well it's an ETA or at least advertised as an ETA by PT,
I will try and find the guy mentioned.

In case it was an Asian movement, I'd have no idea how to swap them! I'm guessing you just have to take off hands, exchange dials, place back hands and pop back into case?

^^^

still a lil advanced for me :)

Princerai

Horology Curious
12/8/08
sconehead said:
Cousins in the UK sells the DG movements as well as e-bay. If you search the forum there are tutorials on swapping out movements, that's how I learned how to do it... :)

ah, i see. well hey it's about time to invest into some good tools and start practising.
i might try and get a very cheap rep to experiment with.

after all, i love watches, and the best way to experience this hobby is to be able to service your own watches.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Princerai said:
sconehead said:

ah, i see. well hey it's about time to invest into some good tools and start practising.
i might try and get a very cheap rep to experiment with.

after all, i love watches, and the best way to experience this hobby is to be able to service your own watches.
I bought a cheap eta powered watch off e-bay to practice on for £20. You'll have ups and downs but you get great satisfaction when you manage to fix or mod a watch, good luck... :wink:

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Yes, it'll be very rewarding once you start getting your hands dirty and play around with your toys. I have screwed up quite a few watches... but it was all worth it! :D

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
I have never done it myself - always forwarded to a WS. With all the great info here I should jump in.

Matt

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
yeah just look for any watchsmiths that would work on an ETA in a replica rolex. Say "i know this one guy who's got a fake watch with a swiss movement from china... he's looking to service it? know anyone?"

MUHAHHAHAA

best of luck finding a rep friendly watch repair guy. Usually the small ma' and pa' ones are the best, they dont care much about what watch you are wearing - "a watch is a watch" my local repair guy said.