• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT Master Building and Mod Packages

RolexAddict

Dealer (watch buildings)
Trusted Dealer
27/10/07
zcwb.jpg

GMT Master 1675 and 16750 Building Packages

Worldwide services, members from all countries are welcome,

Caution :
The Vintage Rolex GMT Master is the most difficult watch to reproduce.
Even if visually I can approach the real thing after tons of efforts using various tools and tricks, the 100% acuracy is impossible.
I would say 90% is possible taking into consideration the material available from the aftermarket and gen NOS/used parts dealers.

Global design specifications :
In the real life, both 1655 Explorer II and the 1675 GMT Master use exactly the same case, the only difference is the rotating bezel for the 1675.
These cases are very slim with a particular CG bottom design, 1,3mm drilled lug holes and they have a thin flat brushed caseback.
All these models, 1655 Explorer and GMT 1675 have a 5,3mm crown and a ref.25-116 acrylic cristal.

All 1655 and 1675 reps have 1mm drilled lug holes, a 6mm crown and a rounded caseback (often engraved 5513 inside...), which is complete wrong.The case profilesand GC design is complete off.
But however, many things are positive :
Fortunately, the date wheel disc uses an overlay which is at the right specs and allows the use of gen or gen specs dials.
All these provisions allow to convert and mod these backgrounds into a 1675 visually 90% accurate. Using a gen dial or a good aftermarket dial, a 25-116 cristal and a flat caseback, the only difference are the 6mm crown and the case which is slighly thicker

Technical details about work on stainless steel :
Its difficult aesthetically to fit a 5.3mm crown as the tube location space between the CG is too wide. micro welding is possible. Its possible to make longer/thicker CG, to reduce the gap between CG etc.
Using a mini lathe and SS welding material allows to reproduce 1675- 16750 cases 100% identical to genuine.
But the welding material for stainless steel which contains nickel is banned in France. Impossible to buy and difficult to source.
So right now, I don't have enough stuff to allow these kind of jobs because the request would be too consequent

Concerning movement used, ETA or DG, the GMT complication shows the same hands stack than the genuine watch.

Actually, I stop to propose the ultimate version due to the high prices of Jewlery & Watch parts. At this level of price and hassle to collect parts, I suggest to buy a gen.
Nevertheless, if you collect yourself all parts and send to me I will build for you.

The 2013 and 2014 ways to build a GMT master 1675 : 2 possibilities,

First way : GMT Master based on the cartel 1655 Explorer II:

Accuracy level : 90% using an original dial or a good aftermarket/refinished

Details of the 1675 Building Package using the 1655 Explorer II as background :

- Complete case and crown guards (regular or Corniño) reshaping according to gen 1675 models,

- Re-drilled lug holes to allow the use of gen Rolex springbars,

- A thin and flat SS brushed case back

- A complete aftermarket GMT rotating bezel assembly from WSO

- A 1675 dial from the aftermarket source of your choice, relumed according your choice of color

- hands relumed in a radium/phosphor vintage style to match with the dial,

- A Clark 25-116 GMT plexi

- Bracelet end links modification to allow to fit gen Rolex springbars,

- A pair of genuine Rolex thick springbars

- Date wheel overlay fading,

- Insert fadded according your choice,

- Waterproofing 3ATM

- The return of the 1655 non-used parts which could be sold as parts (bezel, dial + hands and case back)

- return shipping by International Registred French Post with tracking

- Full warranty for 3 months just in case... (you have just to pay the shipping fees)

Options : dial, small triangle GMT hand, tube/crown, etc.

Second way : GMT Master based on the cartel 1675

This is actually the best option in term of price and accuracy. The global design has been improved, now the model uses a specific bezel ring assembly, made like the genuine, using a retaining ring and a washer. Not any more Submariner bezels like in the past.
The case is engraved 1675 which is a plus. Although the only movement option is a more exepensive ETA, the transformation is so far cheaper as with the Explorer : no need of a bezel assembly, the stock dial is pretty good, interesting for aging and relume.
The only parts needed are the replacement cristal, the insert and the caseback

Details of the 1675 Building Package using the cartel 1675 as background :

- Complete case and crown guards (regular or Corniño) reshaping according to gen 1675 models,

- Re-drilled lug holes to allow the use of gen Rolex springbars,

- Bracelet end links modification to allow to fit gen Rolex springbars,

- A thin and flat SS brushed case back,

- Dial and hands relumed in a radium/phosphor vintage style,

- A Clark 25-116 GMT plexi,

- A 1675 insert at the right Rolex specs,

- A pair of genuine Rolex thick springbars,

- Date wheel overlay fading,

- Insert fadded according your choice,

- Waterproofing 3ATM

- The return of the non-used parts which could be sold as parts (case back and all replaced parts)

- return shipping by International Registred French Post with tracking

- Full warranty for 3 months just in case... (you have just to pay the shipping fees)

Options : dial, small triangle GMT hand, tube/crown, etc.

Process :

For both models you buy the watch and send it to me,
When you buy pay attention on the QC pics to see the DWO with open 6 and 9 fonts for both 1655 and 1675 models

For the 1675 based on the 1655 Explorer I will give you by pm or email the detail of components needed and the way to pay. Or you send me the parts you sourced by yourself with the watch.

The price for the package work is also given by pm or email

For the 1675 based on the cartel 1675, parts mentioned are inclued in the mod package price.

For both ways these prices mean using stock tube and crown,

But in case you want, I can fit and install optional gen parts like tube/crown, insert, gen cristal, gen dial etc.

You need to source these genuine parts by yourself and send to me for fitting and installation

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzy and itgoes211

Seifert

Renowned Member
11/8/09
This sounds like a heck of a fine job :) Very interesting and tempting.

ramnene

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
27/9/13
Hi JJ, do you have the link to the new improved Cartel 1675?

Gngn

20/5/12
Very comprehensive summary... here's one of those made with approach #1:

Returned-from-Wiz-02_zpsaa129978.jpg

jliu500

Horology Curious
20/5/12
I sent an email, and hope to get a response soon. I'm interested in a build based on the cartel 1675.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I'm in , JJ I sent you a PM over at RWG.BZ introducing myself and proposing a 1675 build!