• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Glut of Rolex watches on second-hand market

Pixelate33

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/7/22
Portland
Fair amount of news stories out there about the glut of gen Rolex's now on the market as investors liquidate collections. I checked prices on Chrono24-- MAYBE a little lower? But not seeing the 20% drop Morgan Stanley calls out.

blkwrxwgn

17/9/20
USA
I've noticed this to a point, people who own a Rolex aren't going to freak out too much about a recession but there has to be some price correction that will happen.

Reactions: TESLA760

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
So buy the dip.
No bro. It's like the end of the 80s. Wait until people don't want the watches anymore because the generation now hates luxury watches.

Then buy from dealer. Get discounts. Keep it. Sell in 20 years.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Fair amount of news stories out there about the glut of gen Rolex's now on the market as investors liquidate collections. I checked prices on Chrono24-- MAYBE a little lower? But not seeing the 20% drop Morgan Stanley calls out.

Wishful writing. No such thing happening, Rollie's are still going strong.

one80

27/1/19
Some of the really high end stuff (>100k) looks to have pulled back from earlier this year.
There’s still plenty of waiting lists for new Rolex’s at the AD’a though, so new subs, GMTs etc are still fetching strong prices.

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
No bro. It's like the end of the 80s. Wait until people don't want the watches anymore because the generation now hates luxury watches.

Then buy from dealer. Get discounts. Keep it. Sell in 20 years.
You're unfortunately correct.

The ' new generation' dreams about Apple Watches and similar.

I don't think they 'hate luxury watches'; i think that the massive inflation and low salaries are the cause.

I don't know how many 220 - 25 years old are here on RWI, but i think that buying a 5 - 6 k $ (or €) is not an easy task for a 20 - 25 years old 'normal' guy .

Reactions: MJH89 and Nur-Uhr

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
I think it'll be similar to a few years ago where there's a dip as people prioritise surviving and paying for everyday items whilst they weather the storm and then it'll pick up again.
None of the gens I own are new modelssc o they've not been subject to that hot watch premium but they've steadily been creeping up in value at least in line with inflation or slightly better.
Let's just hope people still like polar explorers and 1675s in a decade...

bearny

Known Member
Supporter
30/10/22
Germany
Noticeable price reductions on mint/unused gen watches, especially Rolex, are the order of the day in my observation. Even if there should be a situation for us in the future where everybody can buy from the AD again, I will remember how badly I have been treated as a customer in the past years. I have an elephant's memory when in future days they will need us again...

Last edited:
Reactions: Galenik

Pixelate33

23/7/22
Portland
I don't know how many 220 - 25 years old are here on RWI, but i think that buying a 5 - 6 k $ (or €) is not an easy task for a 20 - 25 years old 'normal' guy .
Gotta agree on this one. I have 2 twenty-something kids. Both LOVE the Rolex, notice them quickly on wrists, and could tell you exactly the kind they would buy... IF they could afford one.

Reactions: blkwrxwgn

Pixelate33

23/7/22
Portland
Wishful writing. No such thing happening, Rollie's are still going strong.
Some of the really high end stuff (>100k) looks to have pulled back from earlier this year.
There’s still plenty of waiting lists for new Rolex’s at the AD’a though, so new subs, GMTs etc are still fetching strong prices.
Damn, if only i was in the market for a $100K Rollie.

big_polarbear

Captain SWAGddock
Patron
Certified
27/7/20
Sweden
Have been having an open eye for 116400GV on r/watchexchange

Price bracket last year between 11.500$ and 9.999$

Latest 116400GV ask at 8.200$

Nice !