• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

general polishing and scratches

jackteet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/12/11
I have read a great many threads regarding polishing to remove scratches. It would appear that Cape cod is the answer. I need just to polish/ clean my watches and wonder if Cape cod is too coarse. One watch has a mineral crystal which is scratched. I have tried toothpaste but it wont shift them. Will Capecod do the job. Thanks

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Hello Jackteet and welcome to RWI.

Yes the Cape Cod will work, but Polywatch is a very good product for what you need: http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=33

Good Luck,
Ken

Nope, polywatch is for plastic crystals, not mineral/sapphire. It is not an abrasive per se, it works by "melting" the surface of the crystal and closing the scratch over.

What he needs for mineral/sapphire is the sapphire polishing kit: http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=39

For stainless steel cases Cape Cod is perfect. DO NOT use it on plated (ie: gold plate) watches tho as it will remove the thin layer of plated metal in next to no time. Best thing to clean a plated watch is a micro fibre cloth as it's nice and soft and will not scratch the gold.

You also need to be very careful using it on brushed surfaces as it will polish them up and they will then require re-brushing to restore the finish. The MF cloth and a tooth brush (if necessary) will do the job here as well. A toothbrush is perfect for keeping your bracelets clean too.

jackteet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/12/11
Many thanks to you both. 6 of my watches are gold plated and it is these that need cleaning and polishing. They are dull and slightly tarnished. Should I use a wadding such as "Braso".
I have tried to get a replacement mineral crystal but am told that it is very thin and not one normally carried by watch makers. Raymond Weil have discontinued the watch so they cant help.
Looks like a diy job for me. Your thought would be much appreciated. Thanks Jack.

bosnjo

Horology Curious
1/8/09
Nope, polywatch is for plastic crystals, not mineral/sapphire. It is not an abrasive per se, it works by "melting" the surface of the crystal and closing the scratch over.

What he needs for mineral/sapphire is the sapphire polishing kit: Consumables - Drilling, Sanding, Grinding and Polishing. - Watch Bitz Sapphire Crystal polishing kits. - Watchbitz watchmaking tools and supplies

For stainless steel cases Cape Cod is perfect. DO NOT use it on plated (ie: gold plate) watches tho as it will remove the thin layer of plated metal in next to no time. Best thing to clean a plated watch is a micro fibre cloth as it's nice and soft and will not scratch the gold.

You also need to be very careful using it on brushed surfaces as it will polish them up and they will then require re-brushing to restore the finish. The MF cloth and a tooth brush (if necessary) will do the job here as well. A toothbrush is perfect for keeping your bracelets clean too.
Great advice.

I can also vouch for MAAS polishing cream that I bought some 30 years ago and still have it, that I used to polish scratches on my Rolex acrylic. It worked great and still works miracles on stainless steel. The company ( MAAS ) is still in business and makes various polishing products.