• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken BB58 - Did anyone already tried?

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
haha, you can also do the same for Rolex and its gen equivalent where nearly every part is interchangeable.

Fisherman1980

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Certified
18/9/21
The bezel insert is only a few hundred. Dials are a little harder to get. Same with hands. I thought about a complete franken but the price of a used gen vs the project didn't make sense se

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Just a small update on the frankening journey - I have gen bracelet for 79230 and I have to say that the ZF bracelet is really good. Visually they look the same - surfaces, rivets, clasp, end links... the only difference I see is missing "Swiss made" text on the gen clasp (while ZF has it). Feeling is slightly different - Gen is a bit more stiff (mainly the clasp screws / rivets) and also the "click" while closing the clasp is better (those small ceramic balls). But overall ZF bracelet is really good and close to gen while comparing them side by side.

GDorantes13

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/21
hmmm, this would complete a pretty convincing franken with the gen insert+pip i have but honestly after wearing it for this long I've realized the dial isnt that much of an issue for me.

ZF base watch $288
Gen insert and lume pip $233
Gen dial $711 after shipping
Plus hand relume assuming a perfect match can even be realistically achieved
Roughly $250 for a genuine ETA when the chinese clone eventually stops working
At that point I reckon it'd be more worthwhile to just put that money towards a gen example, they can be found for as low as $2500 nowadays
Mate could you please led us where to find a 2.5k BB58?

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
Mate could you please led us where to find a 2.5k BB58?
WatchPatrol and WatchRecon are two search engines that show sales listings from many websites, forums etc. I see multiple recently posted results in the range of 2100-2750 USD for the original black BB58

KingJames

6/5/21
Planet Earth
Did not read every single post… however, I’ve replaced the ZF crystal with a Gen xtal:

Gen xtal specs for the Tudor BB58: B25-7010-3-C1

One is Gen, one is Rep ;)

crashuid

Certified
17/12/19
London
Did not read every single post… however, I’ve replaced the ZF crystal with a Gen xtal:

Gen xtal specs for the Tudor BB58: B25-7010-3-C1

One is Gen, one is Rep ;)

Does it look better? How easy it was to fit? Just swap?

EM9

Watch Acquisition Disorder
Supporter
Certified
7/8/18
28.3772° N, 81.5707° W
Just a small update on the frankening journey - I have gen bracelet for 79230 and I have to say that the ZF bracelet is really good. Visually they look the same - surfaces, rivets, clasp, end links... the only difference I see is missing "Swiss made" text on the gen clasp (while ZF has it). Feeling is slightly different - Gen is a bit more stiff (mainly the clasp screws / rivets) and also the "click" while closing the clasp is better (those small ceramic balls). But overall ZF bracelet is really good and close to gen while comparing them side by side.
The rep bracelet is decent. The biggest difference is the clasp closure and its 100% noticeable between the two. I have the bracelet from my gen chrono on my BB41 black dial rep and its nice. The end links meet up well. Fitment on the Tudor bracelet sucks for me but I was able to remedy that as well with a reef link and a UC half link.

The gen insert makes a massive difference as well on the way the alignment looks.

KingJames

6/5/21
Planet Earth
Does it look better? How easy it was to fit? Just swap?
I am a xtal nerd so I would say it’s worth to replace the ZF xtal :) as mentioned, I own a Gen. BB58 too… IMO the ZF xtal looks completely different… I have used the ZF xtal gasket (if I am not mistaking) it was an easy swap

crashuid

Certified
17/12/19
London
I am a xtal nerd so I would say it’s worth to replace the ZF xtal :) as mentioned, I own a Gen. BB58 too… IMO the ZF xtal looks completely different… I have used the ZF xtal gasket (if I am not mistaking) it was an easy swap
Can you confirm the part number? B25-7010-3-C1? Where can I get it from?

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
I'm in love with the damn blue Tudor BB58, but I'm annoyed by the Dial, as it looks like a pretty major tell. Do you guys know where to get a Gen one? I've searched several sites but can't find a Gen dial for this model.

crashuid

Certified
17/12/19
London
I'm in love with the damn blue Tudor BB58, but I'm annoyed by the Dial, as it looks like a pretty major tell. Do you guys know where to get a Gen one? I've searched several sites but can't find a Gen dial for this model.
What's wrong with the blue dial?